Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What is making the oil leak out of my knives?

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
What is making the oil leak out of my knives?
on: October 02, 2018, 09:11:03 AM
I store them in those Plano or Flambeau adjustable plastic storage cases. I usually put a piece of bubble wrap or thin packing foam under the tool or knife so it doesn't move around. Finding after they sit for a bit the pivot oil seems to be drawn out by the bubble wrap and I'm cleaning them more then if they just are in plastic case with no bubble wrap.

So is it gravity or some type of osmosis/syphon/wicking  effect the bubble wrap or foam is creating? :rofl: don't know what to call it just interested in knowing why

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: What is making the oil leak out of my knives?
Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 10:09:42 AM
I would guess the bubble wrap acts as insulation allowing it to be warmer in there than without it and thins the oil so it runs out easier.

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 11:11:06 AM
Bubble wrap off-gasses to a certain extent, that might have something to do with it - it's not really suitable for long term storage, plastazote and/or acid free tissue are better materials for that.

Mind you, saying that, I think Kev's probably right - it's likely the slight difference in temp that's causing it.  :tu:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 12:13:46 PM
Easy...

Show content
Too much oil.

:whistle:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 12:38:26 PM
Easy...

Too much oil.

:whistle:

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 02:44:05 PM
I'm with Kev on this.  If these SAKs are purely for collection maybe use a heavier weight oil?  You can also use those drawer liner mesh cloths in easy tray so they wont move. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 05:43:47 PM
Another vote for the "too much oil" theory.  I find that a SAK needs to be wiped down good a couple of times over a period of a day or two to clean up all the oil.  The oil is needed in places that you can't see or touch, so a good wipe down doesn't hurt anything.
- Steve

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 06:02:24 PM
 :iagree:

I'm usually a bit heavy handed with the oil. But after a little period of working the oil into the joints and hinges, I'll wipe as much oil off as I can. Let the tool sit for a bit, then wipe down again.   :tu:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 06:12:26 PM
Sounds like these guys above are my mirror image :tu:

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #9 on: October 03, 2018, 12:08:41 AM
I had a big roll of bubble wrap laying around so figured I'd put it to use. Will try some of those liners to see if heat theory is the cause. I know some knives that I never oiled yet have been doing this so maybe factory over oiled. Will try a few different things and report back...mostly dont want to open box and see it had gotten waxy and have a huge clean up to do.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: October 03, 2018, 03:01:11 PM
Too much oil. I usually do over-oil my tools, and then work it out of them by repeated open, close, open and wipe down. Then I lay them out all night on a red shop cloth to capture any bit of excess I may have missed.

Sometimes I will leave the tool wrapped in the cloth for a while.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #11 on: October 05, 2018, 03:32:51 AM
I store them in those Plano or Flambeau adjustable plastic storage cases.

They're being stored. I'm going to bet they are the clear cases, to- that just makes it worse.

They want to be use. They are waiting to be used. They are eager. They are dreaming of being used, and then they start to worry because all dreams become nightmares if you sleep to long. This leakage, it's the pressure, the anxiety, it's squeezing the oil out of them. They are starting think they'll never be used. They won't be used. They aren't being used. Then they ask themselves why, why aren't they being used? What did they do? How are they not good enough? What is wrong them?

Use them. They'll feel better. Even if they don't get used, carry them, let them see the world. Let them know they are more than just safe queens.

Other than that silly thing with the purple anodized and rhinestone bedeck handles and the Ti-Ni coated, gold looking blade. That thing is just... yeah.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline nmpops

• Retired LEO
Reply #12 on: October 05, 2018, 05:21:02 AM
I had a big roll of bubble wrap laying around so figured I'd put it to use. Will try some of those liners to see if heat theory is the cause. I know some knives that I never oiled yet have been doing this so maybe factory over oiled. Will try a few different things and report back...mostly dont want to open box and see it had gotten waxy and have a huge clean up to do.

New SAKs have way too much oil. First thing I do id wipe them down, let them sit and wipe them down again. When I clean them, I also over oil, it's the only way to be sure you oiled enough.  Also I too use the Plano cases for storage with pieces of old t-shirt lining the bottom. I have never noticed and excess oil leakage. :dunno:
Perception is reality

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: October 13, 2018, 11:01:30 PM
Just wondering what the status is.
I don't put anything in the heat theory, as SAK's don't have a metabolism, power supply or chemical reaction that would generate any heat.  So that leaves possible out gassing, or plain capillary action sucking out excess oil.
- Steve

us Offline Joe58

Reply #14 on: October 14, 2018, 02:49:12 AM
I’ve had good luck storing a knife, or other metal objects, after being wiped down, using vapor paper. Offers protection as well as emitting the non-corrosive magic pixie sweat.

This is just a link I grabbed to a sample page. For cheap, you can get a big box of it and cut it to sizes needed. It’s the stuff handguns used to come with in their storage box to prevent rust.

https://www.corrosionvci.com/vci148_paper.htm

There are all kinds of it. The stuff I have is similar to that waxy type paper that GEC brand knives come wrapped in.

If you use it, pay attention to the writing on it as it is directional as to which side goes to the metal. And it doesn’t get the container or box oily either.
🇨🇭

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD