Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Forged in Fire: Knife or Death

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Forged in Fire: Knife or Death
on: October 03, 2018, 09:07:35 PM
Anyone seen the the Forge in Fire Spin-off? Its kinda like blade-sport but with less rules. Also, really happy with the winning blade :D
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Re: Forged in Fire: Knife or Death
Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 02:13:56 PM
 :salute: of course.....

I like the concept....bit showy, but that's holywood I guess....

Two HUGE pet peeves.......peeps that show up unfit, or with a POS blade....really now.  :facepalm:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 02:28:18 PM
:salute: of course.....

I like the concept....bit showy, but that's holywood I guess....

Two HUGE pet peeves.......peeps that show up unfit, or with a POS blade....really now.  :facepalm:
Yeah... and in the end a thrusting weapon wins a slashing weapon contest :rofl:
But like they say "never bring a one-handed-tool" to fight a "two-handed weapon"

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 03:28:30 PM
Its a fun show.  I'm not surprised at the "un-fit" contestants.  Sadly they represent who's out there in everyday life.  The crappy blades are fun to see as are the style of blades people bring to compete.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 04:25:13 PM
I remember in last season a contestant brought a butcher knife. Got further than I thought. Got to give the guy kudos.

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 10:03:28 AM
I remember in last season a contestant brought a butcher knife. Got further than I thought. Got to give the guy kudos.

That's fine......the tourist knife that didn't even survive scrutiny........that's just stupid  :facepalm:

The 2nd season will be a different matter, I know of at least one blade purpose built after studying the first season.......and I guess there are others.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: October 08, 2018, 11:13:06 AM
Its a fun show.  I'm not surprised at the "un-fit" contestants.  Sadly they represent who's out there in everyday life.  The crappy blades are fun to see as are the style of blades people bring to compete.   
I've seen a lot of blade-sport videos and many of those contestants are on the unfit side. Because it is/was new, maybe a lot underestimated the cardio required. So, it is possible that by Season 2 we will have less unfit contestants.
Although if you watch the main show, there are still people getting eliminated for missing the parameters of the challenge and doing too round handles. Sometimes, I get the feeling that the contestants have not watched previous episodes.

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 08, 2018, 02:17:35 PM
this season should also see a Gossman knife, which just shows that very legitimate knifemakers are willing to test their mettle on this show as well
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: October 08, 2018, 03:08:28 PM
I've seen a lot of blade-sport videos and many of those contestants are on the unfit side. Because it is/was new, maybe a lot underestimated the cardio required. So, it is possible that by Season 2 we will have less unfit contestants.
Although if you watch the main show, there are still people getting eliminated for missing the parameters of the challenge and doing too round handles. Sometimes, I get the feeling that the contestants have not watched previous episodes.

Bugged me as well, but thinking about it I have to assume they only aired after everything was filmed, otherwise it wouldn't be fair.......

.........and that's why I wonder what twist they'll add in Season 2.......

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 09, 2018, 01:24:47 AM
I love the real Forged in Fire, but could not finish even the first show of Knife or Death.

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: October 09, 2018, 06:12:02 AM
I love the real Forged in Fire, but could not finish even the first show of Knife or Death.

I hear you. I really dig the other blacksmith shows like Iron and Fire, Milwaukee Blacksmiths, Forged in Fire. But with no renewal in sight or the season being over I got nothing else to watch.

Knife or Death is actually interesting if you take out some of the extreme elements out of it. I’ve gotten a few insights on what weight and blade shape is ideal to chop ice. I naively thought the katana would be king given its history. Though I would like to see genuine swords be used. I get the impression some of these guys accidentally bought fakes or imitations.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: October 09, 2018, 09:58:48 AM

I hear you. I really dig the other blacksmith shows like Iron and Fire, Milwaukee Blacksmiths, Forged in Fire. But with no renewal in sight or the season being over I got nothing else to watch.

Knife or Death is actually interesting if you take out some of the extreme elements out of it. I’ve gotten a few insights on what weight and blade shape is ideal to chop ice. I naively thought the katana would be king given its history. Though I would like to see genuine swords be used. I get the impression some of these guys accidentally bought fakes or imitations.
Even in the original series you could see that straight blades often cut better. Still, I was thrilled that a straight sword won it all in season 1. I just wished that he had used a thrust vs. the ice-block. I would like to see what would happen.
Katanas are overrated, however, I think they under-performed due to poor quality. Although the first katana wielder, was trained in the art and was pretty proud of his authentic "made in China" sword.

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: October 09, 2018, 05:47:18 PM
Yeah I actually felt bad for some of these guys who bought into those poor quality swords. Only because you could tell they really thought they had something special. But you have to define what is special.

Coming from the Philippines I have a Kris sword (can’t wait for that to get made in Forged in Fire!) that my late grandpa gave me. I’ll treasure it forever but it would never survive Knife or Death. Leaf spring blade and wooden hilt is glued in.

Though it’s solid enough to have killed someone, according to him. But not sure if he was trying to scare me when I was a kid. 😜
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 05:49:10 PM by OldBoy2016 »

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: October 09, 2018, 05:48:13 PM

Yeah I actually felt bad for some of these guys who bought into those poor quality swords. Only because you could tell they really thought they had something special. But you have to define what is special.

Coming from the Philippines I have a Kris sword (can’t wait for that to get made in Forged in Fire!) that my late grandpa gave me. I’ll treasure it forever but it would never survive Knife or Death. Leaf spring blade and wooden hilt is glued in.

Though it’s solid enough to have killed someone, according to him. But not sure if he was trying to scare me when I was a kid. 😜

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: October 09, 2018, 05:49:39 PM
My first double post. Crap. I’m so sorry.

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: October 10, 2018, 10:07:45 AM
Watched S02E01 last night.......

What can I say....only one almost-heart attack and everybody got through the fish  :rofl:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: October 10, 2018, 02:40:15 PM
Not a fan of all that meat/animal cutting... I hope they eat them afterwards.

My favorite was the "tree cutting", finally a challenge that takes more than brute force. I hope they expand the part where the contestants have to use more than just brute force. It would be fun to see more challenges that take finesse and an sharp edge (splitting hair, cutting straws that are hanging etc.).

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: October 10, 2018, 02:53:27 PM
I watched it last night.  Man that guy was gassed.  Several were.  They swing those knives with all out brute force. I was surprised they all did so well with the fish as compared to last season.  The "tree chop" was neat but only one actually attempted to use finesse.  Looks like most came to swing hard only.  The first part with fruit you can see most just swung at them.  IMO there was too much "fluff" in round two.  Not sure what I would have liked to see as I'm not familiar with blade sport challenges.  Over all glad its back. 
Esse Quam Videri

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: October 10, 2018, 04:00:41 PM
Not a fan of all that meat/animal cutting... I hope they eat them afterwards.

Yup.......I would like to try some of those, but it would be expensive food to play with.......

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: October 10, 2018, 04:27:12 PM
I watched it last night.  Man that guy was gassed.  Several were.  They swing those knives with all out brute force. I was surprised they all did so well with the fish as compared to last season.  The "tree chop" was neat but only one actually attempted to use finesse.  Looks like most came to swing hard only.  The first part with fruit you can see most just swung at them.  IMO there was too much "fluff" in round two.  Not sure what I would have liked to see as I'm not familiar with blade sport challenges.  Over all glad its back.
Stuff like cutting the straw, or just cutting (instead of hacking, e.g. 4th  challenge). In Bladesports, the knife is strictly regulated in length and only one-handed use

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: October 11, 2018, 11:53:35 AM
 :rofl:

My dad walked in on me testing my Zombie Killer Tanto Kukri on a 2x4  :whistle:

4 strikes IIRC, cut through up to a point then just smashed it.........almost needed a cigarette afterwards  :rofl: Wood chips everywhere  :hatsoff:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: October 11, 2018, 06:44:12 PM
The sword guys would have a heck of a time with some blade sport rules.  There's a way however to incorporate some ideas instead of just all out wailing on stuff.  Heck even the Forged in Fire testing in the final face off could be incorporated. 
Esse Quam Videri

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: October 12, 2018, 11:21:44 AM
S02E02.......well-well  :hatsoff:

Show content
Looks like the coarse will have common parts but also unique parts for each episode....remains to be seen if these are repeated

Very difficult to judge a person's fitness, but to be perfectly honest episode 2 looked tough on the cardio

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: October 25, 2018, 10:15:34 AM
 :facepalm:

:duel:

The more I see.....the more I think about swords.....  :facepalm:

:assimilate: .........must........resist!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: October 25, 2018, 08:47:02 PM
Tu Lam should try out an European sword once, seem he never hold one. The length has nothing to do how fast a blade is, its the center of balance that counts. You don't need a curved sword to do cutting, its all technique.

2x03 Longsword & Falchion where both very bendy. Loved the yatagan/saber hybrid, seems like a good length. The swords show that you don't need a tip heavy knife.
2x04 Fantasy cutter looks fun, love the large chopper. Another longsword doing well

What I don't get is how anyone shows up with a tiny single handed blade. You don't need a long blade, but shorter than 50cm seems silly. Especially since "dead run" favors swords.
I think I should sharpen my longsword :D

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: October 26, 2018, 09:12:19 AM
Latest episode there's BIG guy with a BIG knife.......  :cheers:

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: November 04, 2018, 03:02:18 AM
Watched the first(and last for me)episode of Knife or Death last night. Another drama show that I will pass on. I like the Forged in Fire series even though that can get a bit dramatic on occasion. Setting a time limit on the production of a knife seems a bit ridiculous to me. Seems like any time you are held to a time limit quality suffers no matter what you are doing. I'm glad that there is such a series though as our addiction needs all the exposure it can get. I'll shut up now.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: November 04, 2018, 03:05:34 AM
Its all about the blades for me.  I like seeing the blades in action even if the person wielding the blade isn't so skilled.  More attention to blades is a good thing for the most part. 
Esse Quam Videri

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: November 04, 2018, 10:18:56 AM
Its all about the blades for me.  I like seeing the blades in action even if the person wielding the blade isn't so skilled.  More attention to blades is a good thing for the most part.
Yes, that is it for me too...
I mean it is not too surprising that custom knifes (especially competition cleavers) do fairly well. What I found surprising is how well swords do, even though they are commonly sock ware and not particularly sharp. You don't need heavy (machetes are not heavy either).

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: November 04, 2018, 10:33:43 AM
Watched the first(and last for me)episode of Knife or Death last night. Another drama show that I will pass on. I like the Forged in Fire series even though that can get a bit dramatic on occasion. Setting a time limit on the production of a knife seems a bit ridiculous to me. Seems like any time you are held to a time limit quality suffers no matter what you are doing. I'm glad that there is such a series though as our addiction needs all the exposure it can get. I'll shut up now.
Yes, quality suffers when you rush things... though it always amazes me what some actually can produce in 3+3 hours.
What surprises me more is that none of them seem to prepare, in case they get into the last round. I'm still waiting see a candidate going home, explaining that he has prepared 3 damascus billets, serviced his powerhammer, borrowed a second forge from a friend and built a larger quench tank in preparation. But maybe that is just for the drama too.

I have actually started to watch Knife or Death without sound (except for the blade test with Travis), I do not care for the candidates stories or the commentators. Albeit it is still at a very acceptable level. I had to stop watching American Ninja Warrior because it got so bad with the drama...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%