Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Huntsman Challenge

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Huntsman Challenge
Reply #360 on: November 10, 2018, 02:53:23 PM
Only used the main blade to cut open a package for my mom. Some inside photos.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #361 on: November 10, 2018, 03:18:39 PM
First snow of the season for us!  I used the small blade to cut the tip from a zip tie.
IMG_20181110_075858.jpg
* IMG_20181110_075858.jpg (Filesize: 316.25 KB)
Barry

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #362 on: November 10, 2018, 03:30:41 PM
 :ahhh I hate snow  :ahhh
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #363 on: November 10, 2018, 03:49:39 PM
:rofl:
I love snow. I hate rain. When you get wet, you are wet. At least with snow, you just shake it off and keep going!  :tu:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #364 on: November 10, 2018, 04:10:32 PM
I love snow. I hate rain. When you get wet, you are wet. At least with snow, you just shake it off and keep going!  :tu:
No I still hate snow!!! >:(

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #365 on: November 10, 2018, 04:36:08 PM
:rofl: :rofl:  :cheers:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #366 on: November 10, 2018, 04:39:00 PM
:rofl: :rofl:  :cheers:
:hatsoff:

us Offline TonySal

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • join The American Legion Family - since 1919
Reply #367 on: November 10, 2018, 06:18:43 PM
Oh no! Huntsman to open ice melt bags!  Coming soon....... :rant:
join KNIFE RIGHTS

de Offline Shuya

Reply #368 on: November 10, 2018, 07:02:17 PM
Day 10.

Day starts with "repair" duty. Replace the battery on my cars key. Eyeglass screwdriver to remove the old one.
Later that day was walking in the woods with girlfriend and daughter. Huntsman to the rescue for removing a realy large tick (had just attached, didnt sucked any blood yet, but was really huge!). Thanks to our climate, 18°C in almost mid november...  :rant:

IMAG6038.jpg
* IMAG6038.jpg (Filesize: 305.6 KB)

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #369 on: November 10, 2018, 07:07:02 PM
Day 07 :

I'm a few days behind here, it's been fun reviewing the thread and catching up!  Nice work guys.   :tu:

I was out in the woods and didn't have cell reception or internet access. I did however take my cell phone and snapped a few pictures along the way. And of course the Huntsman accompanied me at awl times!

I'll try to catch up with a few posts from the previous few days, starting with DAY 07:

My hunting buddy and rented a Forrest Service cabin out in the mountains. We got lucky with the timing: a major storm had dropped a bunch of snow in the area. We drove in as the storm tailed off.....or seemed to. It actually snowed on and off days 7 and 8.

We drove in early and dumped our gear in the cabin. Here's a view from the cabin porch:

If you think it looks cold, you'd be right. Temps varied from -12ºC to -2ºC. Ahhhh, Fall in Montana......

We geared up and headed out to look for sign of Elk. It didn't take long to find some nice tracks in the fresh snow. Finding Elk was a different matter......

From the photos you can see it is obviously hilly terrain. I think it's hard to convey a sense of how steep some of these spots are. I t was easy to work up a good sweat while climbing up. Then, trying to be slow and still, we chilled down easily. It was hard to stay hydrated--the water in our water bottles froze up!

While there was plenty of Elk sign in the area, is often led us into think timber. This area has suffered from beetle infestations. As a result there is a lot of 'blowdown'--dead trees that have pitched over. The long legged Elk seem to know how to use these barriers to their advantage.

After working our way (often more noisily than one would prefer) through some of this terrain, we felt we had started to figure out where the Elk were moving. Foolish us.

Cold, wet, and tired, we retreated back to the cabin, built a fire, and spread out our gear to dry off. The Huntsman's scissors got used to open up some packets of tea.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #370 on: November 10, 2018, 07:09:16 PM
Stunning view  :like: :tu:

cs Offline marko14

• No Life Club
Reply #371 on: November 10, 2018, 07:17:50 PM
Nix great post,enjoy

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #372 on: November 10, 2018, 07:20:18 PM
Day 07 :

I'm a few days behind here, it's been fun reviewing the thread and catching up!  Nice work guys.   :tu:

I was out in the woods and didn't have cell reception or internet access. I did however take my cell phone and snapped a few pictures along the way. And of course the Huntsman accompanied me at awl times!

I'll try to catch up with a few posts from the previous few days, starting with DAY 07:

My hunting buddy and rented a Forrest Service cabin out in the mountains. We got lucky with the timing: a major storm had dropped a bunch of snow in the area. We drove in as the storm tailed off.....or seemed to. It actually snowed on and off days 7 and 8.

We drove in early and dumped our gear in the cabin. Here's a view from the cabin porch:

(Image removed from quote.)

If you think it looks cold, you'd be right. Temps varied from -12ºC to -2ºC. Ahhhh, Fall in Montana......

We geared up and headed out to look for sign of Elk. It didn't take long to find some nice tracks in the fresh snow. Finding Elk was a different matter......

From the photos you can see it is obviously hilly terrain. I think it's hard to convey a sense of how steep some of these spots are. I t was easy to work up a good sweat while climbing up. Then, trying to be slow and still, we chilled down easily. It was hard to stay hydrated--the water in our water bottles froze up!

While there was plenty of Elk sign in the area, is often led us into think timber. This area has suffered from beetle infestations. As a result there is a lot of 'blowdown'--dead trees that have pitched over. The long legged Elk seem to know how to use these barriers to their advantage.

After working our way (often more noisily than one would prefer) through some of this terrain, we felt we had started to figure out where the Elk were moving. Foolish us.

Cold, wet, and tired, we retreated back to the cabin, built a fire, and spread out our gear to dry off. The Huntsman's scissors got used to open up some packets of tea.

Welcome to Gods country!  :tu:
That is some beautiful country there! Thanks for sharing your photos with us! :like:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #373 on: November 10, 2018, 07:31:18 PM
Thanks, guys. I'm never sure how many extraneous photos and stories to post in the middle of a challenge thread, so tell me to turn down the volume if I'm getting too wordy. I'll post Day 08 here shortly....

00 Offline Borg

• No Life Club
Reply #374 on: November 10, 2018, 07:33:45 PM
Good stuff guys, so sorry i missed the start..next time maybe  :tu:
Poker Face Milk dud world champion 2021

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #375 on: November 10, 2018, 07:53:45 PM
Day 08 :

We thought the snowstorm was breaking up the evening before, but we got another 2" of snow over night.

While the additional snow made hiking, staking, and climbing a little trickier and tiring, it did let us determine which tracks were more than 12 hours old. We felt sure we'd be able to find some Elk now.

The Huntsman is sitting up on the snow several inches above the track, so the track here is actually bigger than it appears in the photo. But you can see it is fresh!

Sure enough, we soon found a couple Elk....legal Elk...

However, we were in thick timber and didn't have a good shot. Neither of us wanted to wound an animal with a poor or ineffective shot. We tried to be sneaky and wait for an opportunity. An opportunity that never came.....

Obviously if you are seeing Elk in thick timber and can actually see Elk you are close to the Elk. If you are close to Elk they can see you and hear you. We had been working up wind, so I don't think they smelled us (or we never would have seen them), but they became suspicious about our presence and disappeared like ghosts through the timber.

After spooking this set of Elk, we decided to climb up a little higher and see if we could locate other Elk in a spot where we might have better shooting. Another tough slog up through some deep snow.

When we got up high, the snow was up over our knees. And all the tracks were partially filled with snow, so we knew they were at least 12 hours old, maybe older. At this point we were pretty tired and cold. We retreated back to the cabin where we made a fire and heated up some lunch.

After drying out a bit, we headed up another drainage to higher ground, again. Once again, the snow got deep and the climbing got hard. And up at the top, there was scant sign of Elk. We now figured that this storm had dumped enough snow up high to push the Elk down to better food sources. A hard way to learn that information, but it sure was a nice hike, and the sun had finally emerged!

« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 07:54:56 PM by Nix »

us Offline TonySal

• join The American Legion Family - since 1919
Reply #376 on: November 10, 2018, 07:59:51 PM
OMG Nix beautiful pics!
But... here we Hate snow !!
join KNIFE RIGHTS

cs Offline marko14

• No Life Club
Reply #377 on: November 10, 2018, 08:26:35 PM
Another great post Nix,

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #378 on: November 10, 2018, 08:55:34 PM
Excellent pics Nix :dd: :like: :like:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #379 on: November 10, 2018, 09:02:16 PM
Day 09 :

We were up well before dawn, eager to get out into the woods before sun-up. Both mornings, we skipped making a fire--even though the cabin got fairly chilly by the morning--and just ate a quick breakfast of energy bars and hot coffee. There must always be hot coffee..... :D

To save time, we just made instant (splurged on Starbucks instant) using hot water. The essential coffee making gear: a Huntsman with scissors and my beloved MSR Whisperlite.

My hunting buddy somehow misplaced his GPS (which we didn't actually use, but it he liked having it in case we got lost) and that slowed our departure, but we still got out before the sun was fully up.

We were back in the timber following fresh tracks. We found sites where Elk had bedded down, places where they had dug up the snow to browse, and fresh scat. We crept through the timber and once again ran into some Elk. Again they spooked before we could get a clean shot. I think we need to work on our sneakiness.

We tried to stalk the Elk more until the sun came up. After that we scouted around through across the mountain side, finding more trails and evidence of where these big critters had been slipping, ninja-like, through thick timber. They know full well what they are up to and how to hide from hapless hunters.

We weren't successful in getting an Elk, but the trip was huge fun for us. It was great to get out in the mountains in a Fall snowstorm. I think we both learned a bit more about Elk and Elk hunting. In addition, it was great to test some gear. I think next time we'll add a little electrolyte mix to our water bottles to keep them from freezing as easily.

The Huntsman proved to be a great companion knife. I used the scissors to open up food and coffee as well as trim a torn nail. My one regret was that there was no nail file on the Huntsman, it would have been nice to smooth that nail after using the scissors to snip off the torn part.

Aside from uses, I was glad to have that SAK saw with me as well. There were a few times, when I was getting cold, when I thought that saw could come in handy if we decided to make a small fire. Almost all the wood was covered in snow, but we could have cut down some dead branches from standing trees to find dry wood.

While the Huntsman didn't get used a lot, I was very glad to have it along. And it carried quite easily in my pants pocket. This trip confirms my opinion that Hunstman or Fieldmaster will be my SAK of choice for similar hikes and adventures in the future!   :tu:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #380 on: November 10, 2018, 09:16:09 PM
Nice one Nix sounds like you had a great time  :like: :tu:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #381 on: November 10, 2018, 09:58:34 PM
Day 08 :

We thought the snowstorm was breaking up the evening before, but we got another 2" of snow over night.

While the additional snow made hiking, staking, and climbing a little trickier and tiring, it did let us determine which tracks were more than 12 hours old. We felt sure we'd be able to find some Elk now.

The Huntsman is sitting up on the snow several inches above the track, so the track here is actually bigger than it appears in the photo. But you can see it is fresh!

Sure enough, we soon found a couple Elk....legal Elk...

However, we were in thick timber and didn't have a good shot. Neither of us wanted to wound an animal with a poor or ineffective shot. We tried to be sneaky and wait for an opportunity. An opportunity that never came.....

Obviously if you are seeing Elk in thick timber and can actually see Elk you are close to the Elk. If you are close to Elk they can see you and hear you. We had been working up wind, so I don't think they smelled us (or we never would have seen them), but they became suspicious about our presence and disappeared like ghosts through the timber.

After spooking this set of Elk, we decided to climb up a little higher and see if we could locate other Elk in a spot where we might have better shooting. Another tough slog up through some deep snow.

When we got up high, the snow was up over our knees. And all the tracks were partially filled with snow, so we knew they were at least 12 hours old, maybe older. At this point we were pretty tired and cold. We retreated back to the cabin where we made a fire and heated up some lunch.

After drying out a bit, we headed up another drainage to higher ground, again. Once again, the snow got deep and the climbing got hard. And up at the top, there was scant sign of Elk. We now figured that this storm had dumped enough snow up high to push the Elk down to better food sources. A hard way to learn that information, but it sure was a nice hike, and the sun had finally emerged!

Ok, I’m home sick now. That last photo makes it all worth while. Great post and photos.   :hatsoff:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #382 on: November 10, 2018, 10:00:07 PM
Ok, I’m home sick now.

Where are you now? And where was home? And why aren't you here?  :think:

:cheers:

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #383 on: November 10, 2018, 10:24:03 PM
Those are some beautiful views Nix. And the Huntsman Challenge fully justifies you posting them even if the Elk outwitted you ! :facepalm:
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #384 on: November 10, 2018, 10:26:07 PM
...the Elk outwitted you !

Doesn't take much to outwit me.  :-[

Even trout manage to trip me up........  :rant:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #385 on: November 10, 2018, 10:28:02 PM
Ok, I’m home sick now.

Where are you now? And where was home? And why aren't you here?  :think:

In Florida right now, with the grandkids, and helping out my mom, who is doing better!  :tu:
Home...I’m a military brat and have had the great privilege of traveling over sea’s a couple of times. Learned a lot for sure, especially food wise.
Why, family right now. But will be in that area next year. Have been in Georgia the last 16 years and a lot of great outdoor activity there. Colorado for 2 years and lot of outdoor stuff there also. But Wyoming is not as crowded and one of the few states left where nobody says anything when they see a revolver on your hip when out in the open.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #386 on: November 10, 2018, 10:32:43 PM
Wyoming is not as crowded and one of the few states left where nobody says anything when they see a revolver on your hip when out in the open.

Wyoming is one of my favorite states. But, please, FFS, don't tell anyone about it!

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #387 on: November 10, 2018, 10:43:14 PM
Thanks, guys. I'm never sure how many extraneous photos and stories to post in the middle of a challenge thread, so tell me to turn down the volume if I'm getting too wordy. I'll post Day 08 here shortly....

Looks more like Mountana  :D
I always like to read about your adventures Jack  :drink:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #388 on: November 10, 2018, 10:47:33 PM
Shhhhhhhh...........  Awl photos were taken in Southern California....just outside San Diego.   :pok:  :dunno:  :whistle:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #389 on: November 10, 2018, 11:06:36 PM
I don't know why my last photo says day 12.  That should've been day 9.
Today is day 10 of the challenge.
Huntsman 10.JPG
* Huntsman 10.JPG (Filesize: 155.31 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79