Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sometimes I regret letting someone use my knife...

zrxoa1 · 65 · 2540

gb Offline angus macguyver

Re: Sometimes I regret letting someone use my knife...
Reply #30 on: October 07, 2018, 01:04:29 PM
I work with non knife carrying colegues who when need a knife turn to me, I will not lend my knife out but will do the cutting and only if the knife will not get wrecked. :climber:
. "A paperclip can be a wonderous thing. More times than I can remember, one of these has gotten me out of a tight spot."

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #31 on: October 07, 2018, 01:26:25 PM
There is no reason to lend your quality knife to people who don't have a knife at all. These people don't have knives because they are very sure they don't need them. So if they need one they should buy one. Or I will do the job for them with my knife, but only if I wish to.
Ive learned this lesson a few times... :(

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #32 on: October 07, 2018, 01:53:58 PM
I always love seeing knifeless folks try to chew trough blisterpacks, or use their keys to hack open some packaging.
:facepalm:
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

us Offline CallsignBadger

• No Life Club
  • Honey Badger Don't Care
Reply #33 on: October 07, 2018, 04:48:11 PM
Yeah, unless it's a select group of people, if someone needs something cut, I'll cut it for them  :P

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: October 07, 2018, 05:02:51 PM
I will lend almost any knife to a friend. Now, if it has sentimental or rarity value I will not, but I always have a second blade. This may be different for me, as we mostly grew up using knives every single day. The feiends I have lent knives to know that they are nice and respect them. I will not lend a knife to a stranger though, or a friend who has torn one up before. The knives I carry for the most part Are eventually going to show wear. It is a tool after all. Just don’t be an idiot with it (concrete, throwing, etc) and it will be fine.

it Offline shadowrider

Reply #35 on: October 07, 2018, 05:39:50 PM
I always love seeing knifeless folks try to chew trough blisterpacks, or use their keys to hack open some packaging.
:facepalm:
:rofl: :rofl:

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #36 on: October 07, 2018, 11:22:49 PM
Pistols get lent to nobody. Even friends don’t get them. A knife, yes, guns, no.

Bingo. Heck, I"ll lend you money before I loan you a knife. Box cutters and three dollar paring knives don't count.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline DEMartin

Reply #37 on: October 08, 2018, 05:28:50 AM
In 1968 I learned a hard lesson; I haven't lent my knives since. I have gifted a few over the years.
Water, water, every where,
 And all the boards did shrink;
 Nor any drop to drink.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: October 08, 2018, 09:17:29 AM
There is no reason to lend your quality knife to people who don't have a knife at all. These people don't have knives because they are very sure they don't need them. So if they need one they should buy one. Or I will do the job for them with my knife, but only if I wish to.
Ive learned this lesson a few times... :(

:iagree:

A man after my own heart, i totally agree  :D

Helping out occasionally is one thing, helping out all the time because the person is lazy enough not to carry a pocket knife (when he obviously need one regularly) because he is counting on others to have one for him to use, is quite another...   >:(

I carry stuff for my use and needs, not other people's. If someone is in need of a hand and I'm able to help out, ill be glad to, but if they need regular "help" ill jus tell them: "buy your own darn knife"  >:D
Or if it's a good friend, ill just gift him one 

Oh and to actually lent someone my Sak, for about 95% of the people it's totally out of the question 
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 09:27:19 AM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #39 on: October 08, 2018, 09:54:16 AM
There are people I will lend knives to, and people I won't. There's also knives I will lend, and others I won't. It's people of unknown knife sense where it gets interesting. The last two I lent a knife to, bled all over it.

:rofl:  :rofl:

In 1968 I learned a hard lesson; I haven't lent my knives since. I have gifted a few over the years.

What happened DE?  :pok:

Everything’s adjustable

us Offline DEMartin

Reply #40 on: October 08, 2018, 03:26:41 PM
There are people I will lend knives to, and people I won't. There's also knives I will lend, and others I won't. It's people of unknown knife sense where it gets interesting. The last two I lent a knife to, bled all over it.

:rofl:  :rofl:

What happened DE?  :pok:

I was in the Navy serving aboard an aircraft carrier during a major overhaul in the shipyards, and lent my knife to a yardworker to save him a long walk to his toolbox. He returned my knife to me with a large chip out of the cutting edge; he had obviously used it as pry bar. It took many hours on the stone to get it back to shape. I'll never let that happen again.
 Nor any drop to drink.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #41 on: October 08, 2018, 08:32:36 PM

:salute:
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #42 on: October 08, 2018, 08:57:17 PM
As I mentioned before, I keep a junk knife on me for people to borrow, but I also do another thing sometimes. To give some people a hint, I will gift them a $3.88 knife from Walmart, and if they ask me to borrow my knife after that, I ask them where the knife I gave them went to. I enjoy giving my buddies who won't keep the $3.88 knife in their pocket a hard time. :rofl:

Some of the things I say to them (if I already gave them a $3.88 knife) are; "Need me to buy you another one, since you make more money than me?", "What's the matter? Did you give the knife to someone who won't carry it?", "Can't find the knife I gave you? Did you check my back, where you left it?".  Etc.....
I'm probably a smurfhole for saying that stuff, but dang, I expect people to carry/use something I gave them. I don't have time to do their work by cutting stuff for them or reaching for my junk knife time after time. I am too nice about the subject and should probably learn to just say no. :ahhh
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #43 on: October 09, 2018, 12:00:20 AM
As I mentioned before, I keep a junk knife on me for people to borrow, but I also do another thing sometimes. To give some people a hint, I will gift them a $3.88 knife from Walmart, and if they ask me to borrow my knife after that, I ask them where the knife I gave them went to. I enjoy giving my buddies who won't keep the $3.88 knife in their pocket a hard time. :rofl:

Some of the things I say to them (if I already gave them a $3.88 knife) are; "Need me to buy you another one, since you make more money than me?", "What's the matter? Did you give the knife to someone who won't carry it?", "Can't find the knife I gave you? Did you check my back, where you left it?".  Etc.....
I'm probably a smurfhole for saying that stuff, but dang, I expect people to carry/use something I gave them. I don't have time to do their work by cutting stuff for them or reaching for my junk knife time after time. I am too nice about the subject and should probably learn to just say no. :ahhh

Sounds pretty reasonable to me, especially when they clearly need it and are just being careless or lazy.
It's even worse when the knife is a lot more expensive  :poh:

il Offline israelpiper

Reply #44 on: October 09, 2018, 02:37:39 AM
Most people do not seem to know how to open or close pocket knives. I just will not loan anything.

In a gimcrack & gewgaw shop a few years back There happened to be a Vic Farmer on the shelf in a locked case. I asked to see it. The shop woman was curious about what it was, and started opening up all the tools and blades. She split nails and drew blood, and could not handle the back spring on the Farmer main blade. It is very snappy.  The flathead was stuck she was certain. The saw was wicked and unuseable.  I gave a quick demo, especially on closing the blade. Now in the shop they just unlock the case and let me check out the knives on my own.

So many people are sure that a little slip joint is child's play.

They also tend to want your knife to scrape or to pry. Wives and mothers can be a test. And they never understand why you care about a missing knife tip, or a couple of drops of super glue on the blade.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #45 on: October 09, 2018, 03:20:57 AM

Sounds pretty reasonable to me, especially when they clearly need it and are just being careless or lazy.
:cheers:
It seems if you loan out a junk knife, it comes back without damage. Loan out a good knife, and inevitably, it comes back chipped, scratched, and/or messed up. :ahhh
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline CallsignBadger

• No Life Club
  • Honey Badger Don't Care
Reply #46 on: October 09, 2018, 06:00:47 AM

Show content
It seems if you loan out a junk knife, it comes back without damage. Loan out a good knife, and inevitably, it comes back chipped, scratched, and/or messed up. :ahhh

Weird isn't it  :think:

Do they think that pricier knives won't get damaged?

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #47 on: October 09, 2018, 06:53:20 AM
That has to be it, JR!  :iagree:

Ooooo, if I pry with this cheap 8cr13mov blade, it'll snap, and I don't want blade chips in my face.
Ohhhh, wow, Spyderco Tenacious 8cr13mov blade can pry anything, so I'll pry with it.  :rofl:

es Offline Aligator

Reply #48 on: October 09, 2018, 07:04:04 AM
I do not leave my knife for two reasons. The first is that I do not want to be damaged. The second is that usually the one who asks for it is the first one who mocks you because you carry a knife. With a little luck the next time he will carry his own knife.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: October 09, 2018, 08:55:09 AM
I do not leave my knife for two reasons. The first is that I do not want to be damaged. The second is that usually the one who asks for it is the first one who mocks you because you carry a knife. With a little luck the next time he will carry his own knife.

+1  :iagree:

Nothing good ever comes from lending people your stuff, at best it will happen nothing bad cause the person may know how to use it and respect your and your property, so that's not either good or bad...
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline this_is_nascar

Reply #50 on: October 09, 2018, 12:08:00 PM
Don't lend your tools out to anyone.  Problem solved......

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #51 on: October 09, 2018, 01:31:15 PM

This. Awlways the smurfs that panick when they see "you're carrying a weapon!" are the ones that ask for it when they need to cut something (without even bother to see if they have an x-acto or scissors near).

:rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #52 on: October 09, 2018, 02:08:22 PM

I may be too nice for loaning knives, but the fastest way to get on my 'not lending you a damn thing side', is to say an MT or knife is a "weapon." :rant:

That doesn't happen where I live now, but when I lived in NYC, I would get those 'looks' and 'gasps' when I flicked out the pinchy pliers or pulled out the SAK Explorer. >:D

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #53 on: October 09, 2018, 03:57:28 PM
aaah, the neverending stories of lending others your tools and knives with disastrous results... :D

I am not a veteran in life like many of you, but I've learned quickly in that regard:

If you don't have your own tool, to me you're the fool,  ::)
to get hold of my pliers, you'll have to be Mike Myers,  :angel:
you will never use my knife, unless you are my wife,  :think:
only will you have my Vic, if I happen to be sick,  :P
and you can handle my tool, if I find you kind of cool  :tu:

my Leatherman tool is not for you, if some nonsense you wanna do  :ahhh
seeing you abuse my nice SOG, it truly makes all my arteries clog,  :o
when you pry and beat my Gerber, I just freeze like a faulty server,  :dunno:
and that my gear is highly prized, I don't think you've realised  ???

My old tools are loved, to the point that I call them "honey",
if you want your own, then you'll have to spend your money   :hatsoff:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #54 on: October 09, 2018, 04:21:59 PM
That poem perfectly reflects the sentiments of many members. :like:

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #55 on: October 09, 2018, 04:29:23 PM
 :iagree: +2  :like: :like: :like:
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #56 on: October 09, 2018, 04:44:04 PM
Most people do not seem to know how to open or close pocket knives. I just will not loan anything.

In a gimcrack & gewgaw shop a few years back There happened to be a Vic Farmer on the shelf in a locked case. I asked to see it. The shop woman was curious about what it was, and started opening up all the tools and blades. She split nails and drew blood, and could not handle the back spring on the Farmer main blade. It is very snappy.  The flathead was stuck she was certain. The saw was wicked and unuseable.  I gave a quick demo, especially on closing the blade. Now in the shop they just unlock the case and let me check out the knives on my own.

So many people are sure that a little slip joint is child's play.

They also tend to want your knife to scrape or to pry. Wives and mothers can be a test. And they never understand why you care about a missing knife tip, or a couple of drops of super glue on the blade.

I once handed my Spirit to my mother with the scissors extended to do some small cutting task, and left her in the car with it while I made a quick trip into a store. I came back to her having stabbed herself in the hand somehow while trying to close the scissors.  :facepalm:

Another time my grandmother asked to use my Champion and wouldn't say what it was for. She then went to use the main blade to scrape gunk off the blades of her paper shredder. Luckily I was watching and stopped her before damage was done. She didn't agree it was an improper use for the blade and couldn't understand my negative reaction.

us Offline DEMartin

Reply #57 on: October 09, 2018, 04:48:07 PM
aaah, the neverending stories of lending others your tools and knives with disastrous results... :D

I am not a veteran in life like many of you, but I've learned quickly in that regard:

If you don't have your own tool, to me you're the fool,  ::)
to get hold of my pliers, you'll have to be Mike Myers,  :angel:
you will never use my knife, unless you are my wife,  :think:
only will you have my Vic, if I happen to be sick,  :P
and you can handle my tool, if I find you kind of cool  :tu:

:salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute:

my Leatherman tool is not for you, if some nonsense you wanna do  :ahhh
seeing you abuse my nice SOG, it truly makes all my arteries clog,  :o
when you pry and beat my Gerber, I just freeze like a faulty server,  :dunno:
and that my gear is highly prized, I don't think you've realised  ???

My old tools are loved, to the point that I call them "honey",
if you want your own, then you'll have to spend your money   :hatsoff:
 Nor any drop to drink.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: October 09, 2018, 04:55:46 PM

I may be too nice for loaning knives, but the fastest way to get on my 'not lending you a damn thing side', is to say an MT or knife is a "weapon." :rant:

That doesn't happen where I live now, but when I lived in NYC, I would get those 'looks' and 'gasps' when I flicked out the pinchy pliers or pulled out the SAK Explorer. >:D
I agree with you there.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #59 on: October 09, 2018, 05:19:36 PM

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%