Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sometimes I regret letting someone use my knife...

zrxoa1 · 65 · 2561

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Sometimes I regret letting someone use my knife...
Reply #60 on: October 09, 2018, 05:22:34 PM
 :iagree:
And we have a poet in our mist!  :like:
 :cheers: everyone!

us Offline Kraken

Reply #61 on: October 09, 2018, 05:33:52 PM
I made the mistake of lending my Explorer to someone to open a bottle of wine. I got it back 15 minutes later with the corkscrew bent and the aluminum liners dinged up. I vowed 'never again'. It was a used knife from the bay, but used it as my EDC. I tried to straighten the CS out again, but decided it was easier to just buy a shiny new Explorer. At my last job I would lend a knife out to most of my coworkers as they all carried knives before, but there were some I wouldn't lend a pencil to; they could screw up a soup sandwich.
Semper Fortis

fi Offline Gath

Reply #62 on: October 09, 2018, 08:33:53 PM
Most people do not seem to know how to open or close pocket knives. I just will not loan anything.

In a gimcrack & gewgaw shop a few years back There happened to be a Vic Farmer on the shelf in a locked case. I asked to see it. The shop woman was curious about what it was, and started opening up all the tools and blades. She split nails and drew blood, and could not handle the back spring on the Farmer main blade. It is very snappy.  The flathead was stuck she was certain. The saw was wicked and unuseable.  I gave a quick demo, especially on closing the blade. Now in the shop they just unlock the case and let me check out the knives on my own.

So many people are sure that a little slip joint is child's play.

They also tend to want your knife to scrape or to pry. Wives and mothers can be a test. And they never understand why you care about a missing knife tip, or a couple of drops of super glue on the blade.

I once handed my Spirit to my mother with the scissors extended to do some small cutting task, and left her in the car with it while I made a quick trip into a store. I came back to her having stabbed herself in the hand somehow while trying to close the scissors.  :facepalm:

Another time my grandmother asked to use my Champion and wouldn't say what it was for. She then went to use the main blade to scrape gunk off the blades of her paper shredder. Luckily I was watching and stopped her before damage was done. She didn't agree it was an improper use for the blade and couldn't understand my negative reaction.

She didn't think there could be a lock and tried to force them?

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #63 on: October 09, 2018, 10:07:17 PM
Most people do not seem to know how to open or close pocket knives. I just will not loan anything.

In a gimcrack & gewgaw shop a few years back There happened to be a Vic Farmer on the shelf in a locked case. I asked to see it. The shop woman was curious about what it was, and started opening up all the tools and blades. She split nails and drew blood, and could not handle the back spring on the Farmer main blade. It is very snappy.  The flathead was stuck she was certain. The saw was wicked and unuseable.  I gave a quick demo, especially on closing the blade. Now in the shop they just unlock the case and let me check out the knives on my own.

So many people are sure that a little slip joint is child's play.

They also tend to want your knife to scrape or to pry. Wives and mothers can be a test. And they never understand why you care about a missing knife tip, or a couple of drops of super glue on the blade.

I once handed my Spirit to my mother with the scissors extended to do some small cutting task, and left her in the car with it while I made a quick trip into a store. I came back to her having stabbed herself in the hand somehow while trying to close the scissors.  :facepalm:

Another time my grandmother asked to use my Champion and wouldn't say what it was for. She then went to use the main blade to scrape gunk off the blades of her paper shredder. Luckily I was watching and stopped her before damage was done. She didn't agree it was an improper use for the blade and couldn't understand my negative reaction.

She didn't think there could be a lock and tried to force them?

That's most likely what happened. When I asked for details all she would say is "I don't know, I couldn't figure it out and got cut."

fi Offline Gath

Reply #64 on: October 10, 2018, 06:56:34 PM
Well at least no one or nothing got serious injuries that time. Just sent out a Swisstool, my recent purchase of a CT41 and a Matterhorn Plus for warranty repairs on the account of damages by the someone's called former owners. Damaged scales, bent liners, a broken lock. The Cybertool especially has very rough scales, two missing and one quite rounded bit and someone has bent the pliers so they don't meet :rant:

Not all bad though, I luckily got a Cheap CyberTool earlier so I can cannibalize the bits if they're not warrantied and are expensive, and the importer said swapping a tool costs around 15€ at most. He also said they're repaired locally in Turku by them, so maybe it won't take forever.

Any of our Finnish members have experiences on the warranty services by Mastermark?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%