Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Zip Tie and Duct Tape

us Offline WECSOG

Zip Tie and Duct Tape
on: October 07, 2018, 06:33:03 PM
How often to you see a fix using both zipties and duct tape?  :o

I was looking at the merit badges and noticed that the Zip Tie badge was the first one listed. That is apropos for me since the ZT is one of my most-used tools. So I started thinking: what usage to feature? The wiring in my truck? Wiring in my camper? The motorcycle that would fall into a heap of parts if all its zipties were removed?

Then I remembered this revolver. This was a stripped Ruger Super Blackhawk frame I had laying around. I decided to make it shootable again, so started scrounging parts. It was originally a stainless steel .44 Magnum, but most of the scrounged parts were blued, including the .45 ACP cylinder. So be it. I asked around among my home gunsmith buddies in hopes of finding a .45 caliber barrel. This particular chunk of barrel is what I came up with. I have no idea what it originally came from; some type of rifle. But it is .45 caliber, so I made it work.

When I got it together, I wanted to test fire it. But it had no front sight yet. I wanted to be able to actually aim it, so I cast about looking for a suitable temporary sight.  :think: Eventually it occurred to me that I use zip ties for so many other things; maybe one would work here as well.
At first I was thinking along the lines of using the zip tie to hold an L-shaped piece of wire to the barrel as an impromptu sight. But then I realized that the nub of the zip tie would work just fine, sans wire!  :facepalm:

Back to the present. I went looking for a photo I had taken of my new front sight, and realized something else I had forgotten: I also used a piece of duct tape (Gorilla tape specifically) to hold the zip tie sight against rotating around the barrel and thus throwing off my aim! So this might actually qualify for both the Zip Tie and Duct Tape badges.   :whistle:
45acpblk.jpg
* 45acpblk.jpg (Filesize: 179.34 KB)

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Zip Tie and Duct Tape
Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 06:40:24 PM
Now that truly is kitchen table gunsmithing at its best. Have you fired it yet? :cheers:

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 06:41:44 PM
Usually we require a separate thread per badge but this is a very cool use of both and your first badges so we will let it slide this time  :tu:

Congrats !     :cheers:

us Offline WECSOG

Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 06:51:48 PM
Thanks, Steve!

us Offline WECSOG

Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 06:54:05 PM
Now that truly is kitchen table gunsmithing at its best. Have you fired it yet? :cheers:

Yeah, I've got about 60 rounds through it so far. I put a real front sight on it later, but the first few test shots were with this makeshift sight.  :tu:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 06:55:00 PM
Congratulations on your first badges WECSOG :cheers:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline WECSOG

Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 07:13:46 PM
Thanks!  :like:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 08, 2018, 07:16:23 PM
Sure looks like it would take out a boar hog. If the big bullet doesn't stop him you can always bludgeon him with the barrel. :rofl:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #8 on: October 08, 2018, 09:26:23 PM
If it can’t be fixed with duct tape and or zip ties it’s a woman’s problem :whistle:
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 09, 2018, 05:40:36 AM
If it can’t be fixed with duct tape and or zip ties it’s a woman’s problem :whistle:
JR
:rofl:

no Online Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: October 09, 2018, 04:53:31 PM

Just seeing the headline I thought you had kidnapped someone :ahhh :D That is the standard gear in various quality crime TV series and such.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: October 09, 2018, 05:59:26 PM
 :rofl: :rofl: :like:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline WECSOG

Reply #12 on: October 10, 2018, 04:44:21 AM
  :rofl: :D

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #13 on: October 10, 2018, 06:35:36 AM

I was looking at the merit badges and noticed that the Zip Tie badge was the first one listed. That is apropos for me since the ZT is one of my most-used tools. So I started thinking: what usage to feature? The wiring in my truck? Wiring in my camper? The motorcycle that would fall into a heap of parts if all its zipties were removed?

Then I remembered this revolver. This was a stripped Ruger Super Blackhawk frame I had laying around. I decided to make it shootable again, so started scrounging parts. It was originally a stainless steel .44 Magnum, but most of the scrounged parts were blued, including the .45 ACP cylinder. So be it. I asked around among my home gunsmith buddies in hopes of finding a .45 caliber barrel. This particular chunk of barrel is what I came up with. I have no idea what it originally came from; some type of rifle. But it is .45 caliber, so I made it work.

When I got it together, I wanted to test fire it. But it had no front sight yet. I wanted to be able to actually aim it, so I cast about looking for a suitable temporary sight.  :think: Eventually it occurred to me that I use zip ties for so many other things; maybe one would work here as well.
At first I was thinking along the lines of using the zip tie to hold an L-shaped piece of wire to the barrel as an impromptu sight. But then I realized that the nub of the zip tie would work just fine, sans wire!  :facepalm:

Back to the present. I went looking for a photo I had taken of my new front sight, and realized something else I had forgotten: I also used a piece of duct tape (Gorilla tape specifically) to hold the zip tie sight against rotating around the barrel and thus throwing off my aim! So this might actually qualify for both the Zip Tie and Duct Tape badges.   :whistle:

:like:  :like:  :like:
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%