Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Looking for micro screwdriver set recommendations.

Myron · 13 · 2536

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Looking for micro screwdriver set recommendations.
on: October 16, 2023, 03:09:43 AM
I used to have a nice little set of micro screwdrivers made by Spudgertool (odd name, I know).  My little set has disappeared and I'd like to replace it.  Here's a link to the NLA Spudgertool item on Amazon.   https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YD4VSJG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm hoping to avoid a 5,000 piece interchangeable bit with one driver type set.  Likewise, I don't want watchmaker's screwdrivers.  Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Myron

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Re: Looking for micro screwdriver set recommendations.
Reply #1 on: October 16, 2023, 02:30:47 PM
It sounds like the Spudgertool brand started out making spudger tools. Just a crazy guess ! :)

There are quite a few manufacturers of almost the same micro/ precision screwdrivers. It is an almost universal design with small drivers, slim handles and with rotating top. Some brands have a flimsy rotating top though, lack good grip, or have weak and easily deformed drivers. I even had some cheap long plastic ones once that were the handles weren't straight or on the axis of the drivers - I don't have those anymore.

I have some from Wera which I can recommend. They come with all kinds of drivers, and have nice pouches or stands/ wall hangers, but they are pricey. I would expect the similar ones exists from Wiha and PB Swiss Tools to be of equal quality but I haven't tried the micro ones from them. I also have some cheap ones that kind of works, but they feels flimsy and the drivers deform with pressure. Good for the occasional screw, but not for regular work I think. (I would put most of the common cheap ones with metal handles in that category). 

* Precision screwdrivers ESD.jpg (Filesize: 148.67 KB)

* Precision screwdrivers Wera with holder.jpg (Filesize: 134.27 KB)
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #2 on: October 17, 2023, 04:11:13 AM
I have a few different brands of precision screwdrivers (including quite a few WERAs).  I have a strong preference for SPROTEK precision screwdrivers because the handle is a bit more ridged for better grip, and the shaft is a bit shorter than other brands and that works better for me.  They were a bit less expensive than some others which was a bonus (but I would happily pay extra for them)

The only downside is that it was very hard to find sellers that had stock and were willing to ship to me in Australia.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: November 04, 2023, 10:42:26 AM
I have a nice, small set that I swear by- it's only 8 screwdrivers, but they all fit into a compact holder.  The individual screwdrivers can be used independently or can be stuck into the holder to create a more normal sized handle.

You can see a few more pics here:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,88214.msg2378932.html#msg2378932

The handle also has a telescoping magnetic pickup tool on it, which is handy.

The screwdrivers aren't the usual watchmaker type precision drivers you may be looking for, but they are perfectly suited to electronics screws, and similar kind of stuff.

There is no name on this screwdriver, or at least not anymore, and I don't recall where I got it, but I do recall that it cost about $20.  For that money, I'd buy a dozen of these things as I love it and I use it a lot.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #4 on: November 09, 2023, 02:50:00 PM
I have a nice, small set that I swear by- it's only 8 screwdrivers, but they all fit into a compact holder.  The individual screwdrivers can be used independently or can be stuck into the holder to create a more normal sized handle.

(Image removed from quote.)

You can see a few more pics here:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,88214.msg2378932.html#msg2378932

The handle also has a telescoping magnetic pickup tool on it, which is handy.

The screwdrivers aren't the usual watchmaker type precision drivers you may be looking for, but they are perfectly suited to electronics screws, and similar kind of stuff.

There is no name on this screwdriver, or at least not anymore, and I don't recall where I got it, but I do recall that it cost about $20.  For that money, I'd buy a dozen of these things as I love it and I use it a lot.

Def

Wow! That's a pretty cool set, boss! Love how they used the handle to hold awl the drivers while being used as a larger/sturdier handle.

:cheers: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline AzteCypher

Reply #5 on: November 09, 2023, 03:17:05 PM
Here's what I use.  I like the compactness of it all.

https://a.co/d/0P380Eh
May the best of your past, be the worst of your future.

Click here for cool free stuff from the Surpise Box GAW!

🏆 🚂 Train Fixer Award
-for most trains repaired using classic

fi Online Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #6 on: November 09, 2023, 06:02:17 PM
I got gifted this set couple years ago and it has been awesome. It doesnt fit to smallest holes butso far there hasnt been many places where i havent able to reach. Bonus i can use this on CyberTool 4mm hex

Second set Irazola only has Phillips and Flathead but those reach where other set wont reach

Only Tools Matters

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: November 10, 2023, 11:47:22 AM
Wow! That's a pretty cool set, boss! Love how they used the handle to hold awl the drivers while being used as a larger/sturdier handle.

:cheers: :tu:

Yeah, it is an excellent design.

The small screwdrivers can be used individually or with the larger handle, and they all snap in quite securely.

I have to say, out of all of the cheapo tools I have bought over the years, this is by far the absolute best.

I just wish I knew who made it or where I got it so I could buy a dozen more!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #8 on: November 13, 2023, 12:00:40 AM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the ifixit screwdriver sets. They aren't expensive and they come with a lifetime warranty.
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 02, 2024, 06:04:24 PM
Thanks everyone for your recommendations!  I ended up ordering a set of the Wera drivers that Vidar recommended.    MTO is such a great community -- where else could you tap into an international community and get advice like this? 

Myron

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 13, 2024, 07:07:08 AM
They aren't expensive and they come with a lifetime warranty.

As a sidetrack on lifetime warranty: Way back in the day me and some friends started importing and selling third-party expansion RAM modules for Amiga computers. The original part was priced high and didn't cost anywhere near that to manufacture or import. We rebranded our imported modules to a discreet "Pir8", (if I remember correctly), and priced them a fair bit lower than the original modules. Which still left us a healthy profit margin in the area of 300-500% or thereabouts. And to calm doubting customers, and give the impression of great quality, we gave a lifetime guarantee. And we fully honoured that guarantee.

We had no idea about the actual quality over time, but we did know we could give each customer 3 or 4 of these for what they paid for 1 and we would still be profitable. And as lifetimes for computers weren't that long it seemed like a safe bet. And it was - I think we just had to replace 1 unit. So that was our variation of lifetime guarantee:  It wasn't based on quality as most assume seeing lifetime warranties, but very high profit margins.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 13, 2024, 07:14:55 AM
Thanks everyone for your recommendations!  I ended up ordering a set of the Wera drivers that Vidar recommended.    MTO is such a great community -- where else could you tap into an international community and get advice like this? 

Myron

Best of luck with those. I've used them for a long time now, and so far so good.

(For normal size drivers Wera have some with diamonds in the driver head. Those grip screwheads better than most. The handle of the normal Weras isn't my favorite though - it is a good grip for torque, but just feels more edgy than needed. Also worth looking at PB Swisstool/ Garant - I like their handles).
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: February 16, 2024, 01:18:15 PM
Thank you, Vidar!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69