Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vintage hand tool thread.

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Vintage hand tool thread.
Reply #60 on: October 28, 2018, 03:28:27 AM
:nanadance: :nanadance: :nanadance:

Estate sale finds this weekend!
Who is the maker on that large ratchet? Also, I think it was taken apart and reassembled backwards. I believe the switch should be on the back?
Perhaps he bought it off Sparky...  ;)

The switch is in a recess though, perhaps it is meant to be on that side.  :dunno:

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #61 on: October 28, 2018, 03:31:07 AM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Who is the maker on that large ratchet? Also, I think it was taken apart and reassembled backwards. I believe the switch should be on the back?

It’s a Proto. The drive is supposed to be on that side on that model. I know it looks weird, but that’s how they are made.
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #62 on: October 28, 2018, 03:33:47 AM

Who is the maker on the stubby ratchet? That is really neat! Also the Bonney extension.  Is the male end malformed or is it a wobbly?

The stubby ratchet is a no name. I normally never buy no name or Chinese, but I like small ratchets and I’m putting together a car set of non USA tools so it will most likely go in there.
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #63 on: October 28, 2018, 03:34:50 AM
Oh and the Bonney extension is a wobble.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #64 on: October 28, 2018, 04:40:52 PM
:nanadance: :nanadance: :nanadance:

Perhaps he bought it off Sparky...  ;)

I would have never gone there....  :D
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #65 on: October 28, 2018, 04:42:13 PM

It’s a Proto. The drive is supposed to be on that side on that model. I know it looks weird, but that’s how they are made.

It does look weird.  Those Proto ratchets are highly valued. 
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #66 on: November 26, 2018, 01:24:45 PM
I was at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore yesterday and saw a number of sets like these and I was so tempted to grab them!  I didn't though, as I really appreciate them, but I am sure someone else will appreciate them even more.

Def

I have heard of that store and finding socket sets. Sadly we do not have those stores here. Is it close by? If you happen to stop in again could you snap a picture of what they have?

I'd be happy to.  I think the sets were $10-15 depending on the set and there were at least four I think.

Def

Depending on the set it actually is and condition as well as how complete it is they could be worth some good money. If they are worthwhile and in the $10-$15 range I would be all over them if I had the chance and the cash!   :drool:

I was at the ReStore again yesterday and I made sure o get some pics for you.  As you can see, there is more missing than is present in the two sets they had this time.  I didn't bother picking either of them up.

Def
IMG_3315.jpg
* IMG_3315.jpg (Filesize: 167.03 KB)
IMG_3316.jpg
* IMG_3316.jpg (Filesize: 235.76 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #67 on: December 07, 2018, 05:46:19 PM
Most of my tools either came from my Grandfather (borrowed, and usually returned once I had my own that matched the particular tool), picked up on a property we leased at one point, or bought at flea markets, so they have some age to them. I'm getting rid of all the DIY grade stuff I bought for cheap new, and replacing it with vintage industrial grade stuff. Here's some random stuff from my upstairs bag here in my room.

Trimont Manufacturing "Trimo" 8" pipe wrench. I have an 8" and a 12" from them, but the 8" is what's kept in the bag here in my room. 1930s to 1940s era.

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #68 on: March 05, 2019, 02:09:59 PM
Three months and no posts to this thread. It stops now!

This jewel of a set is approximately 100 years old.  This is an F. H. Ayer Socket set.  It was manufactured sometime between 1913 and 1920. In addition, there is an extra ratchet and Ford socket from an early Mossberg set and one socket from an early Walden set.

Everything works. 

IMG_0696.JPG
* IMG_0696.JPG (Filesize: 112.91 KB)
IMG_0695.JPG
* IMG_0695.JPG (Filesize: 72.92 KB)
IMG_0693.JPG
* IMG_0693.JPG (Filesize: 80.43 KB)
IMG_0691.JPG
* IMG_0691.JPG (Filesize: 71.52 KB)

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #69 on: March 05, 2019, 02:11:16 PM
Couple more photos.
IMG_0692.JPG
* IMG_0692.JPG (Filesize: 76.83 KB)
IMG_0697.JPG
* IMG_0697.JPG (Filesize: 91.34 KB)

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #70 on: March 05, 2019, 08:49:29 PM
Outstanding!!!
Barry

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #71 on: March 05, 2019, 09:38:04 PM
Those are some sweet sockets! :like:

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #72 on: March 06, 2019, 12:54:50 AM
The sockets seem to have been formed rather than forged. Interesting to see that they did it like that back then. Great set!  :tu:
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #73 on: March 06, 2019, 02:15:26 AM
The sockets seem to have been formed rather than forged. Interesting to see that they did it like that back then. Great set!  :tu:

You are correct sir! The sockets are pressed metal.  Many of them show the stretching on the sides. 

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #74 on: March 06, 2019, 03:40:19 PM
Some tubular sockets are still made that way. I haven't broken any of them yet, so I figure it is a time tested practice.

Fun to see old tools, so interesting thread overall. :cheers: (Sadly not much of anything older than 75 years around here).
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #75 on: August 20, 2019, 06:28:18 AM
This 1954ish 9 piece socket set box is on its way to me.
IMG_0783.JPG
* IMG_0783.JPG (Filesize: 32.99 KB)
IMG_0782.JPG
* IMG_0782.JPG (Filesize: 65.58 KB)

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #76 on: September 02, 2019, 08:19:36 PM
I purchased this tool lot because I saw one piece with a Craftsman logo with the pointed A. Ended up, there were in half inch thirteen regular sockets, three deep well sockets, a three inch extension, t-handle and universal Drive. In 3/8, there are seven sockets, pull bar, universal drive, a three inch extension and t-handle. There is also a DOE wrench, also in the lot was a set of Plumb ball peen hammers, a Stanley 66-008 Hurwood screwdriver, two Ford DOE wrenches, a Merit DOE wrench, a speedwell nut driver and Unikey hex wrench set, along with an odd lot of hex wrenches and a Billings DOE wrench.  The little Craftsman box to the left was a separate purchase. 1950's  era tools. 
IMG_0798.JPG
* IMG_0798.JPG (Filesize: 184.39 KB)

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #77 on: October 18, 2019, 01:29:00 AM
Haven't seen some of these fellows in a while but I thought some would find interesting. I just got the same wrench in pretty good condition, it is a little bent towards the fixed jaw but other than that it is just a little dirty. I payed 5 bucks for it and 20 for shipping  :facepalm:. I love to see these old tools and imagine how different the US was back then, Crescent, Utica, G.M. and many others all in NY. Times have changed...

edit: Forgot to post the link to the thread  :P Here it is:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=18118.0

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #78 on: October 18, 2019, 09:47:35 AM
  Frank Mossberg Bicycle Tool

Looked a lot like what I have been wanting in a multitool design, vertical wrench. Would like to find a smaller, lighter version like a Leatherman Crunch to EDC with.
  Put this Mossberg the tool area on Rover.

Crescent have their uses, this 'design' is more practical. Just try getting some company to implement it is like trying to milk butterflies.

Somewhere on the internet I saw a photo of an adjustable wrench in what looked like a vintage lighter case in size. Should of saved the photo.  :cry:
FrankMossberg.jpg
* FrankMossberg.jpg (Filesize: 49.82 KB)
moss04.jpg
* moss04.jpg (Filesize: 35.42 KB)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 09:54:09 AM by Outback in Idaho »
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #79 on: October 20, 2019, 02:47:13 AM
Nice little (I assume) adjustable wrench.  What's the size?
- Steve

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #80 on: October 24, 2019, 11:39:47 AM
Nice little (I assume) adjustable wrench.  What's the size?

Been so busy lately, and trying to get time to ride in between working two jobs. Did not measure it, but compared it to a Skeletool today if that helps any?
IMG_3817.JPG
* IMG_3817.JPG (Filesize: 196.07 KB)
IMG_3818.JPG
* IMG_3818.JPG (Filesize: 160.82 KB)
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #81 on: October 26, 2019, 12:31:46 AM
I understand that completely!  This is a great thread everyone!
Barry

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #82 on: November 07, 2019, 12:42:41 AM
Finally got around and was able to get some pics.

German made Perfect Handle Style of Screwdriver, it was supposed to be an Irwin but ended up with this one. Too much hassle to send it back so kept it and started the restoration. It was heavily pitted and bent, handles are quite a mess too.

Bernard's Parallel Action Pliers, war time finish, no dog on the handles. Was just a little dirty and rusty. One of my favorites.

Keeping with the theme, Bernard's End Nippers, Dog on the handles, spring loaded, cuts really nicely. A little rusty and dirty.

Last but not least, G.M.Co. out of N.Y. Unbreakable (but not Unbendable) monkey wrench, hammer, prybar combination tool. Lovely tool with a very handy rapid traverse on the moveable jaw (it would not work with the one that doesn't move  ;) ) a nice little hammer and a prybar with a V groove for nails. I'll have to get my hands on a press to straughten this puppy but till then it will be a nice little hammer.
20191105_100845.jpg
* 20191105_100845.jpg (Filesize: 47.74 KB)
20191106_083626.jpg
* 20191106_083626.jpg (Filesize: 60.91 KB)
20191106_083736.jpg
* 20191106_083736.jpg (Filesize: 66.93 KB)
20191105_101610.jpg
* 20191105_101610.jpg (Filesize: 56.93 KB)

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #83 on: November 07, 2019, 01:56:46 AM
Nice tools, I have one of those wrenches.

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #84 on: November 24, 2019, 06:01:54 PM
Nice tools, I have one of those wrenches.

:cheers: I'm sure you do, I remember that you were the first one to introduce me to the Plierench, and if I may add, what a fantastic collection you have! I'm still after one, but for now I'll try to get my Bernard family to grow a little more before I really go after a Eiffel Flash. I recently got a 8 inch model Bernard in ridiculously new condition :woohoo:, as soon as I'm able to I'll get some pics.

By the way, do you have any recent additions to the collection? I was wondering (if it is not too much trouble) if you could get a picture of the entire collection. Do you display them or keep them in drawers? Sorry for being so inquisitive, I really got bit by the tool bug.

Lastly a couple of the first vintage tools I got. Both came from the UK. Bike wrench by King Dick, this one looked like it was burried in the ground and left to rust for a few decades. Still works though! And the second one is a adjustable with a mechanism like the Fitz All Wrench, that uses a colar and a wedge to adjust to the desired size.
20191108_072312.jpg
* 20191108_072312.jpg (Filesize: 41.53 KB)
20191108_072350.jpg
* 20191108_072350.jpg (Filesize: 66.76 KB)

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #85 on: November 27, 2019, 03:20:55 AM
Thank you sir.  :hatsoff:

I am a terrible curator.  :facepalm: At this time everything is in boxes.  I have time off around Christmas.  I will get everything out and get some photos. 

I've added a few plierenches and some other older pliers.  I have an eclectic collection.

Those Bernard, Lodi, and Schollhorn pliers are neat.  I have several. I'll try to post a link to one of the older catalogs. 

« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 03:32:45 AM by Yadda »

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #86 on: November 27, 2019, 12:46:36 PM
Thank you sir.  :hatsoff:

I am a terrible curator.  :facepalm: At this time everything is in boxes.  I have time off around Christmas.  I will get everything out and get some photos. 

I've added a few plierenches and some other older pliers.  I have an eclectic collection.

Those Bernard, Lodi, and Schollhorn pliers are neat.  I have several. I'll try to post a link to one of the older catalogs.

Worry not! I'm not the greatest either, I've got my my stuff either in the bench/desk because I'm not completely done cleaning it or they're up some spot were they'll fit.

I know there are better materials and more capable paralell action pliers (Knipex wink wink) but I really like The Bernard type, I've always found laminated tools interesting but Bernard is a whole other level of sheet metal work. The seems on the insede of the handle are really tight, with todays polymer overmolds nobody qould dream of making anything like a Bernanrd (whenever I say Bernard I'm just generalizing the style of pliers).

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #87 on: November 27, 2019, 09:39:40 PM

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #88 on: December 20, 2019, 11:51:41 PM
.29 piece ratchet set, made in Japan, similar to an SK set made around the same time,
IMG_0815.JPG
* IMG_0815.JPG (Filesize: 217.97 KB)
IMG_0816.JPG
* IMG_0816.JPG (Filesize: 232.25 KB)

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Estate Sale Buy
Reply #89 on: January 12, 2020, 06:54:44 AM
$6.50 US

Thorsen 3/8 ratchet, Proto pear head 3/8 ratchet, 1/4 pull bar, and sockets from Proto, Williams, SK, and Craftsman.  Almost 9 pounds of rust.
IMG_0832.JPG
* IMG_0832.JPG (Filesize: 262.14 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%