Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Charge Plus issues

floppy · 46 · 3751

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Re: New Charge Plus issues
Reply #30 on: October 20, 2018, 09:50:34 PM
My 07 TTI and 08 AL are absolutely PERFECT.

Was I just lucky or was QC way better 10 years ago?
Probably  :facepalm:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

au Offline floppy

Reply #31 on: October 21, 2018, 04:49:44 AM
I just checked 3 or 4 of my Leatherman Tools (the ones I have nearby while sitting behind the PC) and guess what, they all have the plier scraping against the bit ...

The reason why I've never noticed this before seems to be that it's something that (mostly) happens when you pay close attention to closing the tool.

I mean, when I close the tool fast like I would during real use, I feel nothing, maybe the plier is still slightly scraping the bit, but if so, it happens very smooth and unnoticeable.  But when I close the tool very slow, one handle at a time, leaving the side with the bit for last, putting the plierhead in the handle and then close up the tool real slow, I can see it scraping very hard, right up to the point that I have to apply extra force because the tip of the plierhead gets stuck on the edge of the bit. 

Just checked what happens when you close the other handle last and very slow, and it scrapes the tools on the other side as well, but it's not so noticeable since the tools on the other side don't have the "edge" that the bit has, and they are all stainless, so you don't see the scraping line as good as on the black bit. 

All of this on a tool that I use on a daily base, and on which I never noticed something wrong.

So I wonder; if you just close the tool like you would during real use, without paying attention to the plierhead sliding inside the handle and the scraping and all that, is it still noticeable enough to be a problem ?  please, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there isn't a problem on your Charge, but since I can't handle your tool the second best thing I could do was check some of mine, and this is what I noticed on them.

P.S.: I just checked one of my Spirits and guess what, the plierhead also scrapes while closing the handles, but ... Since the Spirit has outside opening tools the smart Vic engineers put in a slope for the plierhead to slide on until it is fully closed.

Great description of exactly what mine does.

I exchanged the bit over to a fresh (unscraped) side and quickly snapped the tool closed a few times like I didn't have a care in the world. Interestingly the new scrape marks on the bit were much lighter. I closed it slowly again - the plier tip scraped and it gouged significantly harder.

So there you go, it's probably better to just close it up quickly and not overthink it too much. That way the plier tip slips quickly over the bit doing less damage. I have a bit of mechanical sympathy though so I'll close it up in such a way that it won't scrape at all.

Blade scrapping inside of the scales is a common problem inherent to the design itself. The liner lock has to be perfect within microns for the end tip of the blade to be perfectly centered.

Looking closely at it I see what you mean. Knowing this I think I can live with it.

Thanks for your OCD post Aloha007.

The remaining concern then is the liner lock play in the serrated blade and the saw. I feel this is too sloppy for me to ever ignore so I'll return it and ask them to check the replacement Charge before they send it to me. The place I purchased it is in NSW too while I'm in Victoria. The quest for a nice solid Charge Plus continues.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 06:31:17 AM by floppy »

il Offline israelpiper

Reply #32 on: October 21, 2018, 05:26:54 PM

My Charge TTi from 2016 has no flaws, rubs, scrapes or misalignments. Knock on titanium...

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #33 on: October 21, 2018, 06:58:03 PM

My Charge TTi from 2016 has no flaws, rubs, scrapes or misalignments. Knock on titanium...

To be honest, the "issue" with the pliertip scraping the Phillips bit has to be "forced" for it to happen, like I explained a couple of posts back.  If you're not closing the tool that specific way, and you're just closing it in a normal way at normal speed, you won't have this problem. So you really have to look for it.  If I'm not doing it that specific way, I can also say non of my tools have this problem.

But doing it the other way, I can "produce" the "issue" on every Surge/Charge/Wave platform tool with a removable bit driver in it (so not on the Original Wave  :P) that I own, and I own quite a few ...
Show content
Wave second generation, Wave second generation BO, Wave +, Wave + BO, two 25th Anniversary Waves, Charge Tti old version scales, four Charge's AL, Surge and Surge BO

I can even create the problem on the two Signals I own.

There's a difference between the pliertip scraping the bit and the side of the plierhead scraping against the inside of the handles.  The first issue has to be produced, the second one you have to be lucky not to have it.  I've got Waves/Surges/Charges which scrape a little bit (my edc Stainless Surge seems to want to destroy the finish on the side of the plierhead  ::)) and I've got the same tool, same build year on which the side of the plierhead doesn't even come close to the inside of the handles... go figure  ::)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #34 on: October 22, 2018, 04:37:07 PM
I hope you get one that satisfies you.  After shelving my TTi because the CC plier head in favor of my Wave I now realize how truly terrific it is.  The CC is a non issue so far.  I love the looks and really appreciate the S30V blade.  I've don't have to fuss with it and have not for a good while.  The tool lives on my work tool belt.  Having the bits has saved me from making trips to get tools.  I've made adjustments to so many different things over the years.  Again I hope you get a proper tool that you can put to work. 
Esse Quam Videri

br Offline Edar

Reply #35 on: October 22, 2018, 11:42:03 PM
All Leatherman tools are great prototypes. None is a finished design. I have a Charge TT, 2 Wingmans, one old PST II, a Surge and 2 Waves.
Because sometimes I went to USA and had to buy something. They are beautiful.
The Surge saw and file lock are the first model and it doesn´t lock. Then they added a lock to lock the lock and a hole in those blades HEHEHE.
The Wingman halves have a large play, but at least they stay closed.  The Wingman file is very interesting: it serves to nothing, much less as a file.
But I love them all. They should buy a Victorinox Swiss Tool and learn from it.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 11:44:38 PM by Edar »

au Offline floppy

Reply #36 on: November 02, 2018, 04:54:40 AM
An update. My replacement Charge Plus came yesterday. Inside the box I was surprised to find a Black Oxide tool with a molle sheath! I had never considered a BO Leatherman but I do like it.

After handling it and blackening up my hands and the surrounding environment I found it too has some wobble in both blades. Haha, oh well. Not sure there's much point flogging it further with the warranty returns. I have a Spirit XC which fulfils that part of me which lusts after a flawlessly precise tool.

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: November 02, 2018, 10:20:14 AM
A bit late to the party and maybe I'm missing something, but surely the blade pivots can be tightened to at least reduce the wobble? (Security Torx T10 required, IIRC).
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: November 02, 2018, 10:26:48 AM
An update. My replacement Charge Plus came yesterday. Inside the box I was surprised to find a Black Oxide tool with a molle sheath! I had never considered a BO Leatherman but I do like it.

After handling it and blackening up my hands and the surrounding environment I found it too has some wobble in both blades. Haha, oh well. Not sure there's much point flogging it further with the warranty returns. I have a Spirit XC which fulfils that part of me which lusts after a flawlessly precise tool.

:like: The black ALX is one of my favourite tool. It's an absolute looker and really comfy user!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #39 on: November 02, 2018, 03:48:49 PM

I do hope in use you are happy with the tool.  While I have a few Spirits and Swisstools and many Leatherman tools I think none are perfect/precise.  After a wipe down the BO should stop marring your hands.
Esse Quam Videri

au Offline floppy

Reply #40 on: November 03, 2018, 01:14:28 AM
I do hope in use you are happy with the tool.  While I have a few Spirits and Swisstools and many Leatherman tools I think none are perfect/precise.  After a wipe down the BO should stop marring your hands.

Thanks Aloha. I've given it a nice clean and rub over with oil which has worked nicely.

A bit late to the party and maybe I'm missing something, but surely the blade pivots can be tightened to at least reduce the wobble? (Security Torx T10 required, IIRC).

The movement in the blades is due to the liner lock not meeting the base of the blades perfectly. It's not too bad though. Some of the other tools at the bottom of the handles seem a bit tight however. I purchased those special wrenches from Loki-mobile on here to adjust the fasteners easily without having to fiddle around with a couple of multigrips.

On the whole I really like this Leatherman. Very handy for little jobs around the bush block. I love the pocket clip coming standard on these, which is a point in its favour over the Spirit.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 01:30:21 AM by floppy »

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: November 03, 2018, 10:13:04 AM
Ah, OK, thanks for the pics, nice! I see they've also changed the pivot screw heads to the old school knurled ones - so no Torx T10. I wonder why...
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: November 03, 2018, 02:22:43 PM
Ah, OK, thanks for the pics, nice! I see they've also changed the pivot screw heads to the old school knurled ones - so no Torx T10. I wonder why...

DT.. For the AL/ALX series, they have been using the knurled screws all along.. From the very beginning..  :pok:

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: November 03, 2018, 03:51:00 PM

DT.. For the AL/ALX series, they have been using the knurled screws all along.. From the very beginning..  :pok:
:facepalm: Thanks Sam, seems the Charge series have been off my radar for too long, since I acquired my Charge OG new in fact :D
Need to look deeper into those, maybe
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #44 on: November 03, 2018, 03:58:49 PM
 :rofl: :rofl: :facepalm:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #45 on: November 17, 2018, 03:21:50 PM
I just received mine today.   :woohoo:

(Image removed from quote.)

Hey SteveC, 

Not trying to hijack the this thread but after you get a chance to play around with it, can you comment if you have any issue like @floppy has mentioned in his "Charge Plus issue's" thread?  I see these have the actual "+" on the scale.  I have seen some that do not have that!

Thx.

The fit and finish on mine is very good. No play on any of the blades or file/saw. Everything opens smoothly and easily. There is some very minor rub on the scale with the PE blade when closing.   :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%