Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Dremel and other rotary tools

SteveC · 11 · 1666

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Dremel and other rotary tools
on: October 10, 2018, 05:51:52 PM
I have a pretty worn out original Dremel that was my dads. It has worked well over the years but is starting to act up a bit and show it's age. A new one may well be in my near future.

What do you guys have.... corded , cordless,  other brands ? 

Lets see them   :tu:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Dremel and other rotary tools
Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 05:56:39 PM
Looks like this one

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 06:06:38 PM
There is a Dremel/rotary tool page, it’s not really active though, I just scored a diff type of one that I’ve been looking for info myself,
JR

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,43758.0.html
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
  • Geometry cuts but the steel determines how long.
Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 09:07:54 PM
My variable speed died so it was replaced with this. Nothing fancy, 2 speed Dremel but It does what I need it to do.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 09:09:13 PM by Dean51 »

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 03:37:16 AM
I have a Dremel 4000, and some old off brand rotary tool I can't remember the name of or where it's currently located.
Will try to get some pics of the Dremel tomorrow when the lighting is better. The 4000 is a pretty versatile tool, and has a shocking number of compatible accessories. You can turn it into a mini drill press with one of them.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 05:27:38 AM
My Dremel is the same as Woodsduck, the 4000,
I started with a lower number but then I lent it to someone and I never got it back so I bought a newer one, all to end up losing it, thus I ended up getting a newer one, the 4000, funny thing was I then ended up finding my old one but I gave it to someone in need, lately I was out tagsale hopping and found this diff style one, the seller put Dremel on the tag but it’s clearly not, but for $3 who could pass it up? Heck she even threw in the tin box which alone was worth more and doesn’t even belong to it..
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 05:33:45 AM
Here’s an old pic of my 4000 with the little workstation,
JR

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 12:21:02 PM
I have a Dremel with some accessories and really like mine :like: I forget the model number at the moment so will have to check when I get home :salute: It is a variable speed model though :tu: I actually won a gift card at a top out party at work to Home Depot and that was what I ended up getting with the card :tu: That was a couple years ago now though :cheers:

Offline Old man Chris

Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 01:53:52 AM
I use a Milwaukee M12 rotary tool , I’ve found them to be more powerfull , and beter for metal work than the Dremel , as it has grinder style vents , and doesn’t brew up the way Dremels can , when metal cutting . For one step up , I use a Milwaukee 1/4” shank die/straight grinder , with both burrs , and cut off disks , for both steel , and alum. I also use a Fein cordless oscillating multitool . I sometimes do access control work , and have to make accurate cuts into 14 ga. doors , and frames . Once in a while , I also need to deal with wood trim , frames , and nasty composite stuff .

Best Regards,

Chris

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 12:37:17 PM
I have a Ryobi clone, it was about 30% the price of the real thing.

Not quite sure but I think it's been 3 years of regular use.

I got it specifically to shape micarta handles, but I've found better ways.......namely files and sandpaper :facepalm:

What I still use it for carving out a slot for hidden tangs in the handle material.  The chuck doesn't like that operation, not sure what goes wrong but I suspect the vibration slightly loosens the chuck, the bit has some movement and that just chews up the inside of the jaw.

I suspect I might need to replace it in the near future, and I've been debating getting the real thing...... It will need to give me at least 10 years' service to justify the cost.

Also considered getting a proper pencil grinder, just scared to even find out what they cost..  :facepalm:

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #10 on: October 25, 2018, 12:48:20 PM
I have a Ryobi clone, it was about 30% the price of the real thing.

Not quite sure but I think it's been 3 years of regular use.

I got it specifically to shape micarta handles, but I've found better ways.......namely files and sandpaper :facepalm:

What I still use it for carving out a slot for hidden tangs in the handle material.  The chuck doesn't like that operation, not sure what goes wrong but I suspect the vibration slightly loosens the chuck, the bit has some movement and that just chews up the inside of the jaw.

I suspect I might need to replace it in the near future, and I've been debating getting the real thing...... It will need to give me at least 10 years' service to justify the cost.

Also considered getting a proper pencil grinder, just scared to even find out what they cost..  :facepalm:

My experience with the Dremel 4000 chuck has been good. I can't really say how many years it would last (PROTIP: make sure to break in the brushes if you buy a new one) but it should handle the job perfectly.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%