Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ideas for 1 o' clock horizontal carry sheath (medium to small MTs)

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
In the grey old days of stubby cell phones, far too fat for pocket carry, I used to carry one in a sheath at the 1 o' clock position. The sheath had a wide belt loop that was able to take up a good-sized length of the belt, so I split the belt loop by cutting a hole into it just wide enough to accept my trousers' 1 o' clock belt loop - this neatly fixed the sheath in place as it was held on either side of my trousers' belt loop by the halves of the sheath's belt loop.

Why the 1 o'clock position though? The answer lies in my body morphology. I'm blessed with the fact that my median cross section has not reached perfect circularity, at least not quite, yet: its front and rear sections are still markedly flatter than the sides, which present rounder curves (at least in cross-section :D). Whenever I try horizontal carry, I have to move the sheath from the right side at the 3 o' clock position (where the front and back end of the sheath stand away from my body, which I find cumbersome) towards a fairly forward-oriented position, where however the trousers' 1 o' clock belt loop may be in the way of wider single-piece sheath belt loops; any further and I hit the belt buckle or the sheath falls off the next time I go to the bathroom.

I've lately been thinking of adopting this carry method for medium MTs (Rebar, Spirit) as a possible alternative to pocket carry. The sheath that results from my thinking has two belt loops at the very end, with the gap in between about as wide as normal trousers' belt loops, so that the one located at the 1 o' clock position can neatly be caught in the manner described above. The opening, that can be closed by a snap buttoned flap, is at the side end opposite the belt buckle (to avoid interference with the latter). This setup has the advantage that the MT can be lodged relatively flat against the belt, in a position in which it does not stand away from the belt, and no front flaps add any bulk to the sheath. The compact size may also make it blend in better with the belt if made of similar leather.

Now, I haven't come across anything like this when trawling sheath-related pics on the 'net. Maybe I've missed one - does anyone know of such a thing?

Failing that, I may wish to start experimenting with one of my own. But first, any and all comments and feedback are welcome. What do you guys think?  :pok:
9112018133826.jpg
* 9112018133826.jpg (Filesize: 103.2 KB)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 02:12:22 PM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
I doubt that you're going to find anything like that.  Most people wouldn't want to have to thread a belt thru sheath and belt loop like that.  But it would lock the sheath in the 1 o'clock position securely.
- Steve

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
How about a sheath with a couple of belt straps with snap buttons? You can put them on each side of the belt loop. Like the one in this pic, but with snaps on the straps.

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Thanks pfrsantos... I've thought about that - a quite easy to implement solution, however with one decisive downside, namely the added bulk caused by the belt loop being on the wrong side of the belt.
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
I am sure that there was some discussion of such sheath made of bicycle inner tube somewhere on this forum many moons ago?  :think:

Edit:
Found it!
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,46491.msg761695.htm
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 04:36:25 PM by lister »
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Great read, thanks. I think I'll have to try that.
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Nice one, lister! Had forgotten about it.

Thanks!

:tu: :tu:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
I remembered it because I like my EDC to go under the rada and this is the closest thing a belt sheet is ever going to get to that ideal.  :D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

us Offline GrandpaPatch

How about a sheath with a couple of belt straps with snap buttons? You can put them on each side of the belt loop. Like the one in this pic, but with snaps on the straps.

(Image removed from quote.)

Adding the dual straps that could be secured on both sides of the belt loop is a great idea, but consider using velcro as the snaps will get real uncomfortable real fast. **On another note: Do you ever carry a firearm? More specifically a revolver, as the 1 o'clock position is where your speed loader are the most effective for a right handed shooter**
The SAK Whittling Club |
Is it better to carry a 'paddle' or to be "up a creek" without one?

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Hey GrandpaPatch,

Thanks, velcro could be a good alternative to snaps, yeah. Speaking of velcro though, some of the stuff you can buy on the 'net seems of abysmal quality... had a key dangler for the belt that closed with velcro and this lasted all of two weeks :facepalm:

Re firearms, sorry, no, Europe you know ;)

PS like your AC-130 reference (not just because I'm an aero engineer ;))
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 08:01:18 PM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Ideas for 1 o' clock horizontal carry sheath (medium to small MTs)
Reply #10 on: November 09, 2018, 07:35:53 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

Adding the dual straps that could be secured on both sides of the belt loop is a great idea, but consider using velcro as the snaps will get real uncomfortable real fast. **On another note: Do you ever carry a firearm? More specifically a revolver, as the 1 o'clock position is where your speed loader are the most effective for a right handed shooter**

No carrying guns in this part o'the woods. The law is so restrictive, it's a surprise policemen policepersons police officers can carry weapons...

:facepalm:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $279.86
PayPal Fees: $14.66
Net Balance: $265.20
Below Goal: $34.80
Site Currency: USD