Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I would like to make a custom Vic

ch Offline ghiekorg

on: October 11, 2018, 09:59:30 PM
Hi everyone
As the title sais i would like to make a custom Vic. I never tried and i just watched some clip on youtube, so i am here to ask for advices.

As i understood the procedure is more or less like that:
1- Take off the scales
2- Drill the rods and save the small rings (i wanna do a celidor scaled)
3- Disassembly and re-assembly as needed
4- Cut the rods 1mm longer than the last plate
5- Put back the rings
6- Hammer the rods
7- Put back the scales

Now the questions:
- Is it correct?
- I would like to make a compact with pliers and a reamer instead of the hook. Is it possible to do that? Which problems could i face? (i guess the cheapest way would be taking an used swisschamp and a bartam)
- It doesn't seem too complicated, my only fear is not having the right tools. Do i need to search a specific tip for the drilling?
- How can i know how much i have to hammer the pins? I mean, shall i just try to open/close the tools till they are not loose nor hard to open?
- Do i need a dremel to cut the rods or the metalsaw of a Vic is enough (or nippers)?

Thank you everyone and sorry if the questions are maybe a bit stupid :)
 :cheers:
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 10:02:08 PM by ghiekorg »

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: I would like to make a custom Vic
Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 10:13:51 PM
This is a good thread to start with
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=9808.0
Shows you how to and the tools he used

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 10:20:01 PM
That's pretty much it.  I'd recommend that you have a read of this post: https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,43303.0.html and all the links in it, and have good look around here while you;re at it: https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/board,16.0.html.  In fact, I'l move this post to the Mod Squad as it fits much better there.

As for your questions:

Yes.  :D

You'll need a washer to make up the thickness of the reamer instead of the hook, and you'll need to bend the scissors spring a little.  Syph did give details of it somewhere...  Swiss Champ and a Bantam would be fine, but you'll need to modify the Bantam combo tool slightly to make it work, and it doesn't sit quite right in the knife.  Better to start with a Compact instead.

It isn't complicated.  Go slowly, take lots of pictures so you remember where stuff goes and don't over peen the rods.  You only really need a drill a couple of bits (2.0 and 2.5mm would be fine), a file, some pliers and a small hammer.  Something to act as an anvil would be good too - a vice is great.

Yes, basically.  Don't hit the pins too hard as you'll bend something.  Go gently, check often.

No.  Pliers will be fine.  File the ends flat after cutting.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 10:28:00 PM
Pliers have a fat rivet and will probably need to go in the middle layer.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 10:31:38 PM
 :iagree:

us Offline Simyo

Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 04:40:49 AM
as far as the cheapest models would be a deluxe tinker than a swisschamp, and like it was said earlier you should use a compact for the combotool instead of a bantam(less work, the 84mms have to be drilled out and they sit a little funny, combotool not as bad as other 84mm tools.)

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 08:16:19 AM
You do need to put back the bushings and let the pins stick out 1mm above them.

Not as you described: cut off 1mm and then place back the bushings :D

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 09:37:55 AM
as far as the cheapest models would be a deluxe tinker than a swisschamp

Yes, you're right. :tu:

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 09:38:12 AM
You do need to put back the bushings and let the pins stick out 1mm above them.

Not as you described: cut off 1mm and then place back the bushings :D

And so are you.  Points all round. :D

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 09:39:40 AM

ch Offline ghiekorg

Reply #10 on: October 14, 2018, 12:23:41 AM
Thank you Guys for the tips and links, I am reading them all, I just didn’t have a lot of time lately. You are really nice.

Some thoughts:
Maybe the reamer problem is a bit too heavy for the first mod. Actually I am thinking of taking a crappy Vic and make a basic mod, just to try. Today 5th flea market and 0 (zero) Swiss Army knives. Zürich. Switzerland.  :poh:
I was thinking about the swisschamp because it’s easier to find used ones here.
Another thing I was thinking: instead of the combo tool is there a way to combine cap lifter and small blade on the same layer?  I still don’t have a compact in my collection and they are difficult to find used, so I would end up buying two of them and they are not really cheap 😁 
I didn’t understand why the plier has to stay in the middle, sorry 😕
About the 1mm yes I wrote it completely wrong haha 😂 but I meant 1 mm over the ring, of course. Thank you for pointing that  :cheers:
Ah, of course if someone has some pliers and doesn’t need them, I would buy them really happily

Thank you so much once again guys.  :cheers:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #11 on: October 14, 2018, 01:31:02 AM
Sorry, the cap lifter is actually a tiny bit thinner than the small blade and spacer combined (it’s actually the same thickness as the thin modern tang of a large blade), so I don’t see how the small blade + can opener on the same end could work.  :-\
If you actually mean replacing the main blade with a can opener, its doable but inelegant, because the can opener is tapered on the wrong side to let the small blade ‘interlock’ with it, so you’d have to shorten the small blade and you’d have a bunch of spacer gaps.  :think:
Swapping a (possibly shortened) sheepsfoot blade for the small blade might make things fit better?

And the plier has to stay in the middle because it has a big rivet in the head that sticks out which needs space. If you put it on the side of the SAK, it hits the outer liner. In addition, Vic gave the pliers layer extra thick liners on each side to make even more space to prevent it hitting the tools in the layer next to it.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 01:32:12 AM by Don Pablo »
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ch Offline ghiekorg

Reply #12 on: October 15, 2018, 02:10:41 PM
Thank you once more for the clarification. I am quite new to saks and a complete ignorant about modding  :dwts:

Yesterday i tried a really basic mod: I took off the blades and the corkscrew from an tourist. So now i have a 1 layer SAK openers+awl. Today i wanna check if i can replace the reamer with the corkscrew, with some work. I will post a pic later :)
It was really useful though, I understood a lot of things. If i had an expensive knife probably i would have ruined it. For example i wanted to re-use the same brass rods and i realized they were too short even if i removed a layer. I also realized it's easy to bend the liners :D

ch Offline ghiekorg

Reply #13 on: October 15, 2018, 11:10:32 PM
So... I tried to file the corkscrew and put in on the back of the openers. It worked more o r less. I guess I should have modified also the spring a bit, but already sanding 0,5mm off the corkscrew was a pain in the butt. The most annoying thing were the scales. While taking them off almost all the bushing-slots broke because of the bushing “tooth” (I never noticed that on nowadays knives, I am missing something?) so they are not nice and close to the liners anymore. I also did some experimenting so probably the whole thing is not really straight. But it works fine, the three tool are snapping as before.
Thank you everyone for your help

« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 11:12:20 PM by ghiekorg »

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #14 on: October 15, 2018, 11:20:27 PM
Oooh great first(?) mod.  :like: How did the peening go? and how did you file the corkscrew?

I dunno if you'd be interested, but a while back I made a topic about fitting the can and bottle opener in the blade layer in place of the blades:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,73874
I should have remembered it sooner. :facepalm:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #15 on: October 16, 2018, 11:06:56 AM
So... I tried to file the corkscrew and put in on the back of the openers. It worked more o r less. I guess I should have modified also the spring a bit, but already sanding 0,5mm off the corkscrew was a pain in the butt. The most annoying thing were the scales. While taking them off almost all the bushing-slots broke because of the bushing “tooth” (I never noticed that on nowadays knives, I am missing something?) so they are not nice and close to the liners anymore. I also did some experimenting so probably the whole thing is not really straight. But it works fine, the three tool are snapping as before.
Thank you everyone for your help
 (Image removed from quote.)

Looks great! It's good you started with a small number of tools. You can learn from awl the process, correcting any mistake you might have made for the future.

:tu: :salute:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ch Offline ghiekorg

Reply #16 on: October 17, 2018, 11:40:24 AM
Looks great! It's good you started with a small number of tools. You can learn from awl the process, correcting any mistake you might have made for the future.
 :tu: :salute:

Thanks  :cheers: Yeah that really helped a lot

Oooh great first(?) mod.  :like: How did the peening go? and how did you file the corkscrew?

I dunno if you'd be interested, but a while back I made a topic about fitting the can and bottle opener in the blade layer in place of the blades:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,73874
I should have remembered it sooner. :facepalm:
Thank you :) Yes it's my first "mod". The peening went fine, i just had much more problems in changing the back layer tool than not to change the front ones. With the front ones i just put both liners and all the tools and then to "close" it i compress it with my left hand while i push the spring with a screwdriver or something similar using the right hand until everything snaps in place. Here was more difficult to compress the spring and push the pin through. So i used the vice.
To file he corkscrew i went for the dumb way :D piece of sandpaper flat on a table and then rubbing the tool on it. Not really nice maybe and not really even, but i don't have better tools at the moment :( It took a bit but it worked
Thanks for the link, i read the thread but that's too advanced for my level for the moment :D I did't really think about exchanging the blades for the opening tools instead of changing the back side tool. It's good to see others' perspective on thing  :cheers:

Thanks again everyone. I will post something new as soon as i have the components i need

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #17 on: October 18, 2018, 09:03:22 AM
User badge awarded - though you should have pics of it as part of your EDC, so we know you've actually used it. :pok: :)

ch Offline ghiekorg

Reply #18 on: October 18, 2018, 09:49:11 AM
oohhh now i get it. I couldn't understand the meaning of the description of the badge. Will do that  :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%