Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

GERBER NXT EPISODE

Offline bobbaero

GERBER NXT EPISODE
on: October 12, 2018, 12:50:37 AM
Couldn't resist the hacking and shuffling! Factory stock on the left. Simple HACK on the right. thick washers removed to place wood saw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Re: GERBER NXT EPISODE
Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 04:58:38 AM
Very nice! :like:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

Offline bobbaero

Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 05:10:26 AM
Squeezing in a small hacksawplus two features Whats NXT

Offline bobbaero

Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 09:00:21 AM
GERBER SUSPENSION NEXT UPGRADE Added wood saw, metal hacksaw, and a new plier head with hard wire cutters.

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 01:11:29 AM
Those are some really nice mod's there, bobbaero, especially the pliers head; they look sturdier, have bypass cutters with hard wire notch, and a crimper. And I certainly like your signature hacksaw blade inclusions (waiting on a steak knife blade too!).

Hope that Gerber sees  this, and include the wood saw blade into the NXT since it appears to be so easy and I'm sure they already have the resource (Suspension et. al. blades)

One question though, does it still "click" when the pliers are opened or when closed; does it keep open without significant looseness or wobble?

Thanks, and take care!

:tu: :like: :cheers:

Offline bobbaero

Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 02:02:21 AM
Good question. It does click. Like a liner lock feel. Lines up perfectly when the tool is open or closed. Spring loaded Plier head is similar profile, same washer spacers used and no other modifications needed.  It’s just a challenge lining up the Gerber trademark pivot screws because of the minor tension from the handle. Now Gerber can create a new product to sell. I wonder how much it would cost. BTW it works on other suspension models. And this tool has more functions than the Gerber tru$$.

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 19, 2020, 02:49:22 AM
What is the replacement plier head from? And where do you get those extra thick hacksaw blades?

Charles.

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 04:49:50 AM
Whelp, the suspension saw doesn’t fit without removing all of the washers. Even the thin washers are too thick. That’s not really an option for me, I like how the gerber tools don’t all open at once, and wouldn’t want to defeat that. I could replace one of the other tools with the saw, of course. Maybe make a bladeless version or remove the awl.  But I think i like the normal toolset, and can’t think of a tool I want to replace. Perhaps I’ll use it in my spare MP400 chassis, which is needing some tools to fill it out. Not sure yet.

Charles.

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 24, 2020, 12:12:02 AM
So adding the saw doesn’t work. In fact, adding a thin flat driver from a suspension also doesn’t work, unless the washers are all left out.

With a stock chassis that is.

The pivot area is pressed in, making an indention on the inside. I took a grinder and removed the metal that intrudes into the tool area. Not all the way, but I took a fair amount off of both sides. Then I was able to fit the original three tools, plus the suspension eyeglass driver, and three thin washers from an mp600.

After playing with the awl I went ahead and replaced it with a suspension saw (same thickness). It’s not nearly as good as the mp600 style awl (which is uncommon anyhow), and I use the saw more often.

Charles.

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: May 29, 2020, 12:56:30 AM
Also, I knackered the head of my stock pivot bolt so I cut down a Suspension pivot, ground a flat on it, and then used it instead. I'll probably do the other side too so it matches.

Charles.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD