Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Just for fun; Post your "worst tools" stories.

MMR · 33 · 2169

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Just for fun; Post your "worst tools" stories.
on: October 12, 2018, 04:38:03 PM
Just for the sake of fun, and because it's Friday, lets hear your stories about some of the worst tools you have either owned or worked with.

I don't want to hear the stories about people who held and played with a tool for 5 min and just didn't like it, I am interested in the stories about tools that are actually bad.

Let it be;
- Bad by design
- Bad quality
- Totally overhyped
- One of those "jack of all trades, master of none"

..or just a overall bad tool in general.

Not talking about a bad brand, but a bad type of tool

if you have a link or pictures, please include them.

Game on!  :popcorn:
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 05:02:20 PM by MMR »
Kind regards,

MMR

-------------------------------------------------
"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
- Andrew Ryan

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Re: Just for fun; Post your "worst tools" stories.
Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 04:59:43 PM
I guess I will start...

My experiences with this style of "Manual Wire Strippers" have been abysmal to say the least, I just don't get what it is people see in this type of wire stripper, they hurt like an SOB to use, and they develop play in them in no time and even the crimping parts never does a good crimp. the only good thing I can think of with this design is the screw cutter, but apart from that I really truly hate these things...

This style is just so much better is every possible way

When it comes to "Automatic wire strippers" I am not a fan of this design either, I am not because theres no indication of how hard they are biting on to the wire, as the adjustment screw is not marked in any way, its just completely blank, so it can sometimes take several attempts to get it right...literally just by trial and error

This design is just heaps better in so many ways, the only short comings of this design is when working in tight spaces or having to just strip a tiny bit of the wire insulation off, other than that I don't have any complaints about this type of design of wire stripper.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 05:04:13 PM by MMR »
Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 11:06:28 PM
I needed to dig a trench to bury some cables,and when I say I, I mean my Henchman Jim.

Went to Harbor Freight against all experience and judgement and purchased a shovel.

Shovel broke 9 times in a row.
Each time I returned and got a brand new one and this went on for 2 days.

When I say broke I do not mean the Handle either?
Somehow the head of the shovel would just break in half and I promise that Jims strength and work ethic was not the reason for sure!

How do you make a Bad Shovel without actually trying to?

NEVER buy anything at Harbor Freight and then be surprised when this happens to you.

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 02:22:00 PM
Really? ...that’s it? ....no one else have anything to contribute with? :D
Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 08:10:21 PM
How about this bad boy?  "Slip & Lock", slip is right.  This is a cheap plumbing tool for the compression nuts on things like the S trap on your kitchen sink.  Real inconvenient to use with the wing nut that has to be tightened, and it slips around the compression nut more times than it actually turns it.
S&L - 1.jpg
* S&L - 1.jpg (Filesize: 181.57 KB)
- Steve

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 12:04:45 PM
I guess I will start...

My experiences with this style of "Manual Wire Strippers" have been abysmal to say the least, I just don't get what it is people see in this type of wire stripper, they hurt like an SOB to use, and they develop play in them in no time and even the crimping parts never does a good crimp. the only good thing I can think of with this design is the screw cutter, but apart from that I really truly hate these things...

(Image removed from quote.)

I know exactly what you mean :D

Problem is that the “steel” is as soft as butter so the wire strippers are dull in no time and the whole thing bends when you use the wire cutter...

[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: October 14, 2018, 06:34:15 PM
I guess I will start...

Problem is that the “steel” is as soft as butter so the wire strippers are dull in no time and the whole thing bends when you use the wire cutter...

Exactly, all the ones I have owned have always ended up in the recycling bin.

For some reason, they are usually included in electrical assortments of like connectors, so that’s the only reason I have had multiple of them, I have never seen them sold individually.....possibly for good reason too

It may come as a shock to people, but brands like Knipex have made this style of wire stripper too and they hoped to sell them for like €50....
Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 01:08:36 AM
I have a Pallidan brand auto stripper and it works great provided I do not overload it with thick solid conductors or teflon type jacket.
It was very pricey but is very good too.
I broke the plastic jaws on my first one and bought a replacement immediately but I am a lot more careful with the new one!

https://www.all-spec.com/Manufacturers/Paladin/Hand-Power-Tools/Stripping-Tools/Wire-Strippers/PA1113-65663

Sometimes these are just the best tool for the job at hand.

I guess I will start...

For some reason, they are usually included in electrical assortments of like connectors, so that’s the only reason I have had multiple of them, I have never seen them sold individually.....possibly for good reason too

It may come as a shock to people, but brands like Knipex have made this style of wire stripper too and they hoped to sell them for like €50....

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #8 on: October 15, 2018, 09:08:54 AM
Worst tools: Any SAK that I mod. :D :facepalm:
Darn wiggling tools.... ::)
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 15, 2018, 10:19:00 AM
I have a Pallidan brand auto stripper and it works great provided I do not overload it with thick solid conductors or teflon type jacket.
It was very pricey but is very good too.
I broke the plastic jaws on my first one and bought a replacement immediately but I am a lot more careful with the new one!

https://www.all-spec.com/Manufacturers/Paladin/Hand-Power-Tools/Stripping-Tools/Wire-Strippers/PA1113-65663

Sometimes these are just the best tool for the job at hand.

I guess I will start...

I guy I know who does audio systems on cars, uses one like that one but just from Knipex...looks like one pictured below:

He says it's the best wirestripper he has had, as it is the easiest one to adjust how much insulation it removes / strips. It's also the most gentle one on the hands after having used it all day long.

Personally; I am not a professional electrical engineer, but I find it a bit bulky and I am not a fan of plastic tools either, but again i'm sure if its something one is using all day every working day of the week (sometimes even weekends) then it might be a different story.

I have this one from Stanley FATMAX, but all the ones I have tried in this design I think were the best, even the no-name ones from AliExpress have been surprisingly good too.

But then again, to each their own and we each have our own wants and needs when it comes to tools.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 10:20:39 AM by MMR »
Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

au Offline Valkie

Reply #10 on: October 18, 2018, 03:30:16 AM
As a toolmaker/ craftsman and engineer, I have no excuse for the following.
I consider it my mental moment.

I purchased a cheap, multitool from a market in Shanghai when I was over there two years ago.
No, I was not drunk.
The tool looked quite good when I first saw it and it cost the equivalent of $15.00 AU.
But it was seriously overpriced.

It had a similar look to a Leatherman wave or surge.
But the very first time I went to use the screwdriver, on a reasonably loose screw, it twisted like lead, seriously it turned into a spiral.
I opened the blunt knife, the back was sharper than the functional edge, and I bent it 90 degrees.

Now I knew I had been had, so I decided to have a go and see what I could do with it.
The corkscrew was the only functional tool on the instrument, but the pin holding it into the knife was aluminium, guess what happened?
The second blade broke on opening.
The can opener wouldn't even come out, I think it was assembled incorrectly, gee, how did that happen?
The pliers were the best bit, I had a go at crushing a small screw to test their strength, one of the jaws broke off, looking at the metal, it appeared to be hardened but not tempered.

I threw the damn thing away, but I wish I had kept it as a curiosity.

I have several "Cheap" knockoffs, given to me by friends and clients
But none were at the level of bad that this Multi-tool from China achieved.

tools is what defines us as humans

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #11 on: October 18, 2018, 06:08:16 AM
Great stories, gentlemen!

My worst "bad tool story" revolves around me being particular about 'messing up" my nice tools. One day I had o bend some thick ironwork. Fine, being nothing new, I grabbed a pair of extremely abused 20" 'Power-Kraft" groove joint pliers. A great tool back in the day, but should have been tossed years ago with completely flattened teeth and excessive wobble in the pivot bolt. I had forgotten to tighten the pivot bolt for years. :facepalm:
I started in, putting about 200 pounds of pressure to bend the ironwork. The bolt holding the two plier halves stretched. The thin non-covered handless came together parallel and broke the skin across my whole palm. It needed stitches and weeks of healing to get over.  :ahhh

What makes it bad? I had brand new Channellock 20" groove joint pliers I should have used.  :(

Second one revolves around the $3.99 socket set from harvor frieght. I was at a buddy's house and was helping him sharpen his mower blade. It came off and I sharpened it. I was safety-negligent and started putting the blade back on. I was honkering down on it to tightenit well and the gear stripped in the junky socket wrench. When it broke, the blade rotated and my hand slid down the newly ultra-sharp edge. Almost cut my finger off and required tendon attachment, stitches and weeks of healing.

I had started to take my craftsman socket set, but my buddy said he had a "good set." ::)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #12 on: October 18, 2018, 06:52:31 AM
Anything Craftsman sells on shopping isle ends around Father's day lol!!

The only true tool that comes to mind is snap ring pliers. Don't ever buy any variation with swappable tips. Just buy a set of dedicated pliers.

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: October 18, 2018, 07:22:10 AM
Bought a flashlight at the dollar store while I was waiting at a car wash. Tried it 3 minutes later just outside the store. Thing fell apart. Got into an argument with the clerk and store manager trying to return it. They had a no return policy sign right over the cashier machine but I stood firm. Manager finally stops, looks me in the eye and says “You know it’s only a dollar right?”

Looked at him straight back and said “So?” He gave me back my dollar without a word.

I know I’m cheap but it’s the principle of the thing you know? Anyway my one funny tool story.

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: October 18, 2018, 10:02:03 AM
As a toolmaker/ craftsman and engineer, I have no excuse for the following.
I consider it my mental moment.

I purchased a cheap, multitool from a market in Shanghai when I was over there two years ago.
No, I was not drunk.
The tool looked quite good when I first saw it and it cost the equivalent of $15.00 AU.
But it was seriously overpriced.

It had a similar look to a Leatherman wave or surge.
But the very first time I went to use the screwdriver, on a reasonably loose screw, it twisted like lead, seriously it turned into a spiral.
I opened the blunt knife, the back was sharper than the functional edge, and I bent it 90 degrees.

Now I knew I had been had, so I decided to have a go and see what I could do with it.
The corkscrew was the only functional tool on the instrument, but the pin holding it into the knife was aluminium, guess what happened?
The second blade broke on opening.
The can opener wouldn't even come out, I think it was assembled incorrectly, gee, how did that happen?
The pliers were the best bit, I had a go at crushing a small screw to test their strength, one of the jaws broke off, looking at the metal, it appeared to be hardened but not tempered.

I threw the damn thing away, but I wish I had kept it as a curiosity.

I have several "Cheap" knockoffs, given to me by friends and clients
But none were at the level of bad that this Multi-tool from China achieved.

"Chinesium" at it's finest
Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

us Offline cody6268

Reply #15 on: October 18, 2018, 07:21:01 PM

The only true tool that comes to mind is snap ring pliers. Don't ever buy any variation with swappable tips. Just buy a set of dedicated pliers. (Image removed from quote.)

And Lowe's.  Bought one of the $12 5-piece plier sets (Linesman, needlenose, slip joint, and water pump/Channellock-type), becuase I figured having some crappy pliers I could loan out instead of risking my good American and European pliers would be great. Went to use the water-pump pliers and they bound up regularly. It was extremely hot last summer on the day I used them and they bound up so tight I couldn't fix them.  Got angry with them, bashed them so hard against the ground I removed all the rubber coating on the tip of the handle. With the help of a relative, I got the job done, but the pliers got tossed and replaced with some REAL Chanellocks from the downstairs toolbox.  And, my grandmother dinged the cutters on the linesman pliers cutting rebar binding wire.   If I buy pliers, they're usually going to be Klein, Proto, Knipex, or Channellock.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #16 on: October 18, 2018, 07:56:12 PM

The only true tool that comes to mind is snap ring pliers. Don't ever buy any variation with swappable tips. Just buy a set of dedicated pliers. (Image removed from quote.)

And Lowe's.  Bought one of the $12 5-piece plier sets (Linesman, needlenose, slip joint, and water pump/Channellock-type), becuase I figured having some crappy pliers I could loan out instead of risking my good American and European pliers would be great. Went to use the water-pump pliers and they bound up regularly. It was extremely hot last summer on the day I used them and they bound up so tight I couldn't fix them.  Got angry with them, bashed them so hard against the ground I removed all the rubber coating on the tip of the handle. With the help of a relative, I got the job done, but the pliers got tossed and replaced with some REAL Chanellocks from the downstairs toolbox.  And, my grandmother dinged the cutters on the linesman pliers cutting rebar binding wire.   If I buy pliers, they're usually going to be Klein, Proto, Knipex, or Channellock.
I'm right there with you on that one!!

I wish I could find decent vicegrips, since the original brand sold out they are getting harder to find.

Can't stand the Irwin models. For now i keep a set of harbor freight versions in the truck and baby them.

au Offline Valkie

Reply #17 on: October 20, 2018, 06:10:16 AM
I bought a $12.00 set of spanner for my boat.
I figured I would be less upset of dropping one of these overboard or them going rusty sitting in a box in the boat.

But the first time I went to use them, they didn't fit.

When I got back home, I measured the spanners.
They were imperial, but marked with metric sizes.

I laughed quite a bit about that.
Now I carry sidchrome and have paracord attached to each and take them off the boat each trip.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #18 on: October 20, 2018, 11:34:36 AM
I figured I would be less upset of dropping one of these overboard or them going rusty sitting in a box in the boat.

Now I carry sidchrome and have paracord attached to each and take them off the boat each trip.

My first reaction would not have been laughter - I'm sure an expletive or three (or more) would have escaped my lips.  Later when I had fixed whatever the problem is I may have been able to laugh.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

au Offline Valkie

Reply #19 on: October 22, 2018, 03:29:16 AM

My first reaction would not have been laughter - I'm sure an expletive or three (or more) would have escaped my lips.  Later when I had fixed whatever the problem is I may have been able to laugh.

I was fortunate is wasn't my boat.
It was some poor sod who had a battery issue and we tried to undo the terminal to swap batteries.

I managed to make do with a shifter, but it wasn't easy in the tight space.

But one can only laugh, its that or cry.
And for $12.00 I couldn't blame anyone but myself.

I would never spend cheap on a camera.
Nor would I spend cheap on brakes or other important equipment.

But I thought, just this once?
Never again.

us Offline superpaco

• Bigly bragadocious
Reply #20 on: October 22, 2018, 11:05:32 PM
My worst tool story is not a complaint about the tool but rather what someone did with it when I leant it to them.
My brother and I used to work for a property management company flipping apartments. Among all the other duties it always seemed I would do the electrical and he would do the plumbing, when one finished they would help the other. I was prepping a ceiling fan to be mounted and asked him to turn off the switch and remove the current light. What he did was leave the power on and pull the fixture from the ceiling exposing the wires which he then proceeded to cut at the same time together with my brand new Klein wire-strippers..... After the resulting small but bright explosion and after the look of shock and bewilderment slid off his face, I asked him "what the smurf happened?".  He sheepishly explained he knew it was wrong to connect the black and white but he thought because he was going to cut it "real quick" he would be safe. Needless to say he was amazed to learn that electricity traveled at the speed of light and that there was only a couple of universes/dimensions out there where he might be able to beat it.
He never did buy me new strippers.....
Life is hard. If it wasn't, everyone would do it.

au Offline Valkie

Reply #21 on: October 23, 2018, 01:28:48 AM
Great stories, gentlemen!

My worst "bad tool story" revolves around me being particular about 'messing up" my nice tools. One day I had o bend some thick ironwork. Fine, being nothing new, I grabbed a pair of extremely abused 20" 'Power-Kraft" groove joint pliers. A great tool back in the day, but should have been tossed years ago with completely flattened teeth and excessive wobble in the pivot bolt. I had forgotten to tighten the pivot bolt for years. :facepalm:
I started in, putting about 200 pounds of pressure to bend the ironwork. The bolt holding the two plier halves stretched. The thin non-covered handless came together parallel and broke the skin across my whole palm. It needed stitches and weeks of healing to get over.  :ahhh

What makes it bad? I had brand new Channellock 20" groove joint pliers I should have used.  :(

Second one revolves around the $3.99 socket set from harvor frieght. I was at a buddy's house and was helping him sharpen his mower blade. It came off and I sharpened it. I was safety-negligent and started putting the blade back on. I was honkering down on it to tightenit well and the gear stripped in the junky socket wrench. When it broke, the blade rotated and my hand slid down the newly ultra-sharp edge. Almost cut my finger off and required tendon attachment, stitches and weeks of healing.

I had started to take my craftsman socket set, but my buddy said he had a "good set." ::)

OUCH.

Its the little things that hurt the most.
I opened up the base of my thumb while removing some silicone grouting in the bathroom.

I was being seriously careful.
The edged tool I was using was the correct tool for the job
I was cutting away from myself and even had safety glasses on.

Then the tool got stuck, I stupidly put my hand on the floor to stabilise myself.
I had been keeping my spare hand well away from the blade should it suddenly break or slip.

The tool let go, it hit my thumb ......hard, stopped only by the bone.
I looked down and the blood was pouring out of my hand.

My first thought was, at least its not pulsing out (that would have meant I had cut an artery, which would have been bad)
I wrapped my hand in a towel and asked my wife to take me to the hospital.
When I got there the doctor couldn't stop the bleeding enough to see the wound, so he used a tourniquet to stop it enough to have a look.
I got out my phone and took a picture.
He took the phone off me and said, aren't you worried about the wound?
I said, nah, it will heal.
He just looked at me and shook his head.

The damage was substantial, cut the nerves lengthwise but not as bad as it could have been.
The vein was severed and every time he pulled it out, is shot back into my wrist.
Microsurgery was required, and I have some numbness in my thumb.

But it could have been much worse.

Moral of the story
Sharp tools should always be treated with care, and dont loose concentration for even a second.

OUCH.jpg
* OUCH.jpg (Filesize: 91.45 KB)

us Offline radioactive_Man

Reply #22 on: October 23, 2018, 02:55:55 AM
So years back I was searching for my first good MT. I had narrowed it down the a LM Juice, SOG pocket plier or Vic Spirit. I ended up with the SOG because I liked the simplicity and price. Well the day came when it arrived and my dad had been asking my to tighten the door on the grill. I could have used a regular screwdriver but I was so excited to use my new tool I ran outside, opened the phillips bit, put some force on the screw and started to turn- right then the bit closed and pinched my finger in the handle. OUCH! To say I was disappointed in my purchase would be an understatement.  I would never buy an MT without locking tools again. . I few years later I bought the MT I should have in the first place- the Vic.

au Offline Valkie

Reply #23 on: October 23, 2018, 03:06:25 AM
So years back I was searching for my first good MT. I had narrowed it down the a LM Juice, SOG pocket plier or Vic Spirit. I ended up with the SOG because I liked the simplicity and price. Well the day came when it arrived and my dad had been asking my to tighten the door on the grill. I could have used a regular screwdriver but I was so excited to use my new tool I ran outside, opened the phillips bit, put some force on the screw and started to turn- right then the bit closed and pinched my finger in the handle. OUCH! To say I was disappointed in my purchase would be an understatement.  I would never buy an MT without locking tools again. . I few years later I bought the MT I should have in the first place- the Vic.

we learn by our mistakes

sometimes painfully

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #24 on: October 23, 2018, 09:28:39 AM
20 Years ago I got a SAK with a cork screw as a business gift. I used it to open several bottles until I had a very tight cork that bent the corkscrew when I pulled the cork out. I could not bend it back no matter what I tried. I now only use the Vic corkscrew as last resort when nothing else is available.
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: October 24, 2018, 06:54:33 PM
A pair of lineman pliers from Harbor Freight that had trouble cutting zip ties.. :facepalm:
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

au Offline Valkie

Reply #26 on: October 25, 2018, 09:07:14 PM
Not exactly the tools we are talking about but........

About 20 years ago, I was doing some work on my father's house.
The electric drill I was using died, and as I had a spare at home, I didn't want to buy another good one.

I had 3 hoes to drill, so I went to Bunnings to buy a cheap drill
$20.00 later I had this cheap, ratty and unnamed brand drill.

It smelled like it was burning for the whole three holes, but it got through them.

I still have it, it's light (cheap materials) is pathetically weak (anything larger than 1/4 inch is a no go)
And it still smokes and stinks while being used.

But you can't kill the damn thing.
20 years, I don't know how many holes and it still going.

Not all bad tool stories are that bad

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #27 on: October 27, 2018, 04:36:13 PM
My Juice XE6.

The pliers are ok- not as good as the PST, but better than a Vic's or a Squirts. I thought I'd found the one tool.

And then started using it. EVERY screwdriver cut a fingertip when I tried to use it. They aren't screwdrivers, but the evil mutant off spring of an awl and a smurfing trowel!.

The saw is ok. The file is ok. The whole thing SHOULD work. But... those screwdrivers.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline Captain Hook

• Don't read this......You rebel you ;)
Reply #28 on: November 02, 2018, 11:55:27 PM
I bought a schrade (not so)tough tool. Thing was greasy, scratched up, the pliers were about as smooth as gravel when opening and closing, and I about hacked my finger open trying to get the knife out to use.(Mind you it came from the factory this way) It now resides in the bottom of my nightstand buried behind a leatherman box, so I dont have to look at it.
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #29 on: November 03, 2018, 05:05:22 AM
Hehe. Those fake (China made Schrade) TTs are hilariously crumby compared to the OG TTs made in the U.S. The new ones aren't the worst MTs I've handled, but they are pretty low on the list of MTs I would use  long term.
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%