Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Just for fun; Post your "worst tools" stories.

MMR · 33 · 2187

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Re: Just for fun; Post your "worst tools" stories.
Reply #30 on: November 03, 2018, 09:55:51 AM
I bought a schrade (not so)tough tool. Thing was greasy, scratched up, the pliers were about as smooth as gravel when opening and closing, and I about hacked my finger open trying to get the knife out to use.(Mind you it came from the factory this way) It now resides in the bottom of my nightstand buried behind a leatherman box, so I dont have to look at it.

Is it possible it still has the factory oil that has congealed and gone (very) hard ?  It may respond well to a hot wash and re-oil.  The Og Schrade ST1 MTs are supposed to be pretty tough, but I have a few unused ones that are very stiff to open.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Captain Hook

• Don't read this......You rebel you ;)
Reply #31 on: November 03, 2018, 12:14:12 PM
I bought a schrade (not so)tough tool. Thing was greasy, scratched up, the pliers were about as smooth as gravel when opening and closing, and I about hacked my finger open trying to get the knife out to use.(Mind you it came from the factory this way) It now resides in the bottom of my nightstand buried behind a leatherman box, so I dont have to look at it.

Is it possible it still has the factory oil that has congealed and gone (very) hard ?  It may respond well to a hot wash and re-oil.  The Og Schrade ST1 MTs are supposed to be pretty tough, but I have a few unused ones that are very stiff to open.
Well that may be, it's the new made in China model not the original.
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #32 on: November 03, 2018, 04:05:16 PM

Well that may be, it's the new made in China model not the original.

In that case I'd try loosening off the pivot screws (if they have any threadlocker you may want to apply some heat first to loosen it).
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74
Net Balance: $53.60
Below Goal: $246.40
Site Currency: USD
18%