Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ryobi

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Ryobi
on: October 12, 2018, 09:31:21 PM
  A while back had picked up a Ryobi cordless drill & impact driver, which is a good system and using one proprietary battery. The batteries fit into many of their tools. Later on had gotten a circular saw to help fortify a place I store a recumbent trike. With the standard batteries it even cut through 1 inch cured & sealed plyboard that was originally used a a ceramic table in the 90's.

Then the latest acquisition... caught my eye as was going to Home Depot for some ABS didgeridoo parts. For $20 it was worth the purchase!

Found that both rear tires on my '98 Suzuki Esteem were at 30# instead of 35#, and the left front was at 30# and the right at 32# when both should of been at 40#. While I do have a large air compressor, getting that out of storage is a pain in the lower back, not to mention trying to find an extension cord and an outlet.

This portable compressor was well worth the purchase, and comes with extra tips for other things too. And to think I can pack this in the recumbent trike's panniers and have a portable air source for less space and not a lot of weight.  :D
DSC00026.JPG
* DSC00026.JPG (Filesize: 185.85 KB)
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Re: Ryobi
Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 12:08:03 AM
I have been itching to try one of these and get a little twitchy when I pass them in the store!

Another battery system but possibly worth the dive in anyway.

Ryobi seems to offer a lot for the money and they only seem to be getting better too from my experience trying a few of them and of course the price is always the way they reel you in too!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 10:03:16 AM
My Ryobi 0ne+ tools served me very well. The batteries are shot now, but the tools still work great. I currently have a drill driver, angle drill, vacuum cleaner, angle grinder, circular saw, jigsaw, (I also have a corded jigsaw of theirs), detail sander and caulking gun. They're not professional grade, but neither am I. They are however damn good hobby grade tools in my opinion.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 12:27:47 PM
I have a sawsall, drill, leaf blower, and weed whacker. I like that all use the same battery.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 03:05:48 PM
I know batteries keep getting better and better, but a battery operated compressor seems like it wouldn't have the power needed to do the job.  I am sure they are good, but I'll stick to my 12V socket ones, at least for the time being!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 01:16:14 AM
I know batteries keep getting better and better, but a battery operated compressor seems like it wouldn't have the power needed to do the job.  I am sure they are good, but I'll stick to my 12V socket ones, at least for the time being!

Def

Mate, battery powered equipment has definitely come a long way. The Ryobi stuff uses 18V. You can get battery powered chainsaws now that are the real deal. Dewalt, Stihl, and Makita are probably leading the game right now. Battery powered reciprocating saws have serious power and can be better than the corded mains ones. For a compressor you just replace a blade with a piston, basically. For $20 tool when you already have the battery it's worth the punt.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 01:32:21 AM
I know it's getting better.

I had some tools with an interchangeable power supply. I can't remember what they were called but they were very similar to the Ryobi system, but this was ten years ago.

It was cool and I am glad the concept continued and improved but something like a cknoressor that may live in the car is likely to just have dead batteries more often than not in Canada.  Winter here is hard on batteries.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 12:07:57 PM
I know it's getting better.

I had some tools with an interchangeable power supply. I can't remember what they were called but they were very similar to the Ryobi system, but this was ten years ago.

It was cool and I am glad the concept continued and improved but something like a cknoressor that may live in the car is likely to just have dead batteries more often than not in Canada.  Winter here is hard on batteries.

Def

I am sure you would be astonished with newer offerings then!

I am using the newest Milwaukee 12v tools and they indeed do really have the power that the 18v models offered a few years ago.

The 18v versions today are insane with power and life and the biggest ones run Table Saws and Compressors now for an entire day on construction sites.

I have a Jobsite Light that can make 1000 lumens for an entire day from a single battery!

Lithium Batteries are also much less bothered by the cold and can charge fast enough to keep me going uninterrupted too.

If you have not tried these newest tools yourself you truly do not know what you are saying.

They are pricey to buy into sometimes but I almost never need a cord anymore unless doing a pre-wire and drilling hundreds of 2" holes through studs where I do not have any chargers with me?
Not too often.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 12:41:46 PM
I'll have another look at them then.  I haven't had much call for power tools over the past couple of years since I have been in an apartment but I will need to replace a few drills and saws soon enough.

Def

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 12:41:39 PM
I'm skeptical about battery powered everything, power tools most of all!

BUT.....the majority seems very happy with the performance

The company that did the shop fitting at a new branch of my employer use battery powered tools exclusively, and one of the guys told me it's made their work much easier....
Many building sites don't have electricity, which used to be a huge hassle for them....they use Ryobi as far as I could see.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 12:43:51 PM by Gerhard Gerber »

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #10 on: October 25, 2018, 01:04:28 PM
LIDL has a compressor with intercheangeable bateries too.
It was about 60 euro and came with  a high volume /low pressure compressor and a low volume/high pressure one together with 1 batery.
I have several compressors that run off the car baterry  a mains power low volume one (for inflatables) and another low volume battery powered one.

The LIDL model runs on an 18V (or 16V..) battery. It is light enough to be carried in a rucksack. There are spare batteries available.

It will charge an off-road tyre from flat to full once, but it will easily bring back to road pressure all 4 tyres if they have been deflated for off-road use, which is what I bought it for. It automatically stops when the pre-set pressure is reached.

It is also very convenient as you do not need to have car nearby if you want to inflate bicycle tyres.

there is a review here https://www.supereverything.gr/2018/09/review-foritos-aerosimpiestis.html (use google translate)  Theysay that the pressure readings on their compressor were wrong but mine is very accurate
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 01:11:59 PM by dks »
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #11 on: October 25, 2018, 02:34:39 PM
Everyone keeps telling Grant how much batteries have improved, but he's stubborn as a Canadian goose  :rofl:

Honestly I would question the viability of a battery-powered compressor too, but if it's working for your purposes, then right on. I'm not crazy about the idea of picking up a second battery platform, but Ryobi has a freakin' cordless hot glue gun  :o
That one has me sorely tempted. Especially with the darn semi-proprietary sticks for my old Craftsman E-Z Fix gun getting harder and harder to find.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: October 27, 2018, 01:46:26 PM
TBH, I will probably be picking up some new cordless tools shortly.  Right now I am in an apartment and really am not doing much in the way of work that requires me to purchase new tools.  I imagine by now the batteries on all my old tools are pretty well toast, since many of them were on their way out already when I last used them a few years ago.

Def

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #13 on: June 11, 2019, 06:46:06 PM
I've been wanting the Ryobi One+ reciprocating saw to replace my corded saw but I just never got around to picking one up. Now Home Depot is having a sale (Ryobi Days through the 19th) and I decided the timing and price was right.  So, option a) was buy two batteries for $99.00 U.S.D. and select one tool for free out of a list that included the saw I wanted, or option b) was to buy a four piece tool set that also came with two batteries and includes the saw I wanted, plus a drill and a flashlight, and a circular saw for $129 U.S.D..  I chose the four piece set which I figured was a better deal. It's 3 more tools for $30 more. Can't beat that price.
ST300 challenge 2019 11.JPG
* ST300 challenge 2019 11.JPG (Filesize: 100.62 KB)

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: June 11, 2019, 06:48:00 PM
That's an awesome deal you got right there!  :tu: :D

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: June 11, 2019, 11:31:44 PM
I've been wanting the Ryobi One+ reciprocating saw to replace my corded saw but I just never got around to picking one up. Now Home Depot is having a sale (Ryobi Days through the 19th) and I decided the timing and price was right.  So, option a) was buy two batteries for $99.00 U.S.D. and select one tool for free out of a list that included the saw I wanted, or option b) was to buy a four piece tool set that also came with two batteries and includes the saw I wanted, plus a drill and a flashlight, and a circular saw for $129 U.S.D..  I chose the four piece set which I figured was a better deal. It's 3 more tools for $30 more. Can't beat that price.

OK but it looks like the pack that you bought has 2 of the 1.3ah batteries but the 2 battery pack that is $100 is for the 3ah batteries so it is not exactly an Apples to Apples thing either.

Still seems like a great deal anyway though and I am giving it some thought now too but I have a Dewalt Slim Drill with their small batteries and the batteries limited capacity is the only real issue that I have with the tool.

They are light weight though !

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #16 on: June 13, 2019, 02:46:19 AM
I thought of that too.  I just concluded that I don't need the high capacity batteries since I'm not using them on the job and all day long. Besides, I've already got some older Ryobi tools and 3 or 4 more Lithium batteries and 4 different chargers.  :cheers:
Might need to sell off some of the extra tools now to help pay for the new ones.

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: August 28, 2020, 01:13:51 AM
I have about a dozen One + tools. The weed whacked/trimmer and leaf blower are great. No more mixing fuel and yanking cords that don’t work. Push the button and go. I have my eyes on this new cleaning tool:

https://www.ryobitools.com/products/details/18v-one-plustm-power-scrubber

england Offline Kev D

Reply #18 on: January 29, 2021, 12:23:00 PM
We got a Ryobi hammer drill and the brushless impact driver at work recently, and I've been really impressed with them, sooo I decided to treat myself to a few at home as well.   I got the 3 Piece Combo Kit, the Multi Inflator and the Fast Charger.  I also bought a decent set of impact bits and went for the Milwaukee shockwave ones, as they are awesome. I also got myself a couple of the Ryobi one+ compatible Vanon 5.5mah batteries, and they are great.

Next on the radar is the strimmer/weedwacker, 1/2" impact gun, stapler and a lawn mower.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: January 29, 2021, 03:45:38 PM
 :like:  I also want to weedwacker.
Esse Quam Videri

england Offline Kev D

Reply #20 on: February 23, 2021, 09:08:41 AM
I just picked up the 400Nm (295 ft/lbs) 1/2" impact gun kit to add to my growing Ryobi tools. A local store offered a set that also came with a 1/2" impact socket set, and I also added 17mm and 19mm wheel nut sockets to my order as well.

england Offline Kev D

Reply #21 on: March 02, 2021, 06:51:21 PM
Another new addition to my ryobi tools, just ordered a reciprocating saw.  Borrowed my friends to do a few tasks and it's great, so ordered one today.  It's the R18RS-0 the same as my friends, not the latest greatest brushless R18RS7 one.

I also ordered 3 more vanon 5AH batteries seeing as they were £40 off and I had a discount code to make them even cheaper.

Just the strimmer and lawnmower to get and I think that's everything I wanted.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: March 02, 2021, 07:34:54 PM
 :like: :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: March 03, 2021, 07:47:24 PM
I'll have to keep an eye on the sales.  Usually fathers day the box stores have sales. 

Congrats Kev.   :like:
Esse Quam Videri

england Offline Kev D

Reply #24 on: March 15, 2021, 04:29:03 PM
I can highly recommend the reciprocating saw.  I put a 5AH vanon battery in it and a brand new makita pruning blade, and chopped down 2 holly trees that have grown under the fence from my neighbours.  I took them down to 3" from the floor where the trunks were around 5" thick and it made short work of them.   It made it so easy processing the thicker sections so I could get it all in rubble sacks for taking to the recycling centre.

I checked the battery afterwards and it was still showing 3 bars, which impressed me even more.  I'm guessing the brushless one would be better still.

Now I just got to kill the damn things off once and for all.  I'm hoping the pop bottles jammed in the holes I drilled, filled with stump killer will finally do it.  It can slowly suck it all up and I'll keep topping it up until they finally die.

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #25 on: March 15, 2021, 05:03:46 PM
I've got a bunch of the Ryobi One+ 18V tools that I use at home.  Impact, hammer drill, lights, the air compressor, router, chainsaw, etc.  I've also got a 40V weed whipper and 20" push mower.  Needless to say, I like them very much.

That little compressor is very handy for smaller tires on tractors.  I use it a lot at the hobby farm.
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

england Offline Kev D

Reply #26 on: April 11, 2022, 11:30:30 AM
I added a couple more Ryobi tools to my slowly growing collection and replaced my crap cheapo DIY store own brand angle grinders with Ryobi battery ones. I've wanted them for a while and a local store had a deal on.  The  R18AGO older model and newer R18AG7 brushless as a combo of bare tools. I've already got loads of batteries so jumped on the deal.

Gave them a test out yesterday and really pleased with them.     

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #27 on: April 11, 2022, 11:59:12 AM
I bought a secondhand Ryobi brushcutter a couple of months ago but I'm yet to give it a good run.
It's 2-stroke but hey, internal combustion engines produce power so it's a power tool.  ::)
Fight me.  :duel:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: April 11, 2022, 04:09:22 PM
 :tu:.  I just used my Ryobi circular saw to cut a shelf last night.  Battery needed charging but as usual very happy with the tool.  I wouldn't mind getting a few more.  I have the smaller batteries tho for now they work fine for what I do. 
Esse Quam Videri

england Offline Kev D

Reply #29 on: April 12, 2022, 11:02:51 AM
:tu:.  I just used my Ryobi circular saw to cut a shelf last night.  Battery needed charging but as usual very happy with the tool.  I wouldn't mind getting a few more.  I have the smaller batteries tho for now they work fine for what I do.

I love my Ryobi circular saw, especially for the lack of kickback. I wish I had got one years ago.

I only have 4 genuine batteries and they are all the small 2AH ones.  I bought 6 of the compatible 5AH ones after seeing loads of reviews from Australian users on youtube and so far they have been fantastic.  I think all 6 were the price of 1 1/2 genuine small Ryobi batteries.

I really wish I had gone this route a long time ago instead of buying cheap DIY store own brand cheapo mains powered.  I only had one battery tool before all my Ryobi and that was a Bosch drill.  I'd love to go all milwaukee or dewalt, but for what I do I can't justify that kind of spend on power tools when Ryobi are more than good enough for my needs and at a fraction of the price.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%