Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ryobi Vs. Bauer

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Ryobi Vs. Bauer
on: March 30, 2023, 02:16:22 AM
I'm looking at buying my own set of power tools, and it seems that Ryobi and Bauer are both pretty good at entry-level power tools that stand up to actual use. Plus, they 're the only good ones in my budget wheelhouse.

I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with the tools I plan to buy.

I'd like to check them out first--which I can't do with Ryobi as my nearest HD is over an hour away (closer to an hour and a half). Bauer I can as my nearest Harbor Freight is not even a half-hour away.  Another note I'd like to make is that ordering the set from Home Depot is a no-go right now, as we've had some issues involving right-of-ways and receiving oversize packages. So, I may end up having to have a neighbor accept the package for me; or will end up traveling with relatives next time they to go Christiansburg or Bristol on a shopping trip so I can buy the set in person.

I've been looking at this set from Home Depot for $220 (plus sales tax, which will be either 5 or 9 percent depending on which HD I go to--as one is in TN, I think).  Strangely enough, there's like 3 variants with the same tools, and the one with the bits is cheaper than those without.

The problem I have with the combi is all the extra hassle I have to get to get my hands on it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ONE-18V-Cordless-6-Tool-Combo-Kit-with-1-5-Ah-and-4-0-Ah-Batteries-Charger-and-65-Piece-Drill-and-Impact-Drive-Kit-PCL1600K2-A986501/320243671

Harbor Freight currently has a coupon for their 20V Bauer Drill/Driver combo bringing it down to $47 that includes the charger and battery; and another coupon for 2 1.5AH batteries for $40

Here is the Bauer combo I have in mind. My math puts it at $203 plus sales tax of 7% (WV). $243 if I count the impact, or $268 counting the inflator.

The driver:

https://www.harborfreight.com/brands/bauer/drills/20v-cordless-12-in-hammer-drilldriver-kit-64756.html

Oscillating Tool

Sawzall

https://www.harborfreight.com/20v-brushless-cordless-reciprocating-saw-tool-only-58075.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/9fc4a8332f9638515cd199dd0f9238da/6/4/64756_W3.jpg

The impact is an extra $40, but something I'm thinking about buying along with these.

https://www.harborfreight.com/20v-brushless-cordless-14-in-hex-3-speed-impact-driver-tool-only-58847.html

I talked with my grandfather, and he said he'd buy the inflator if I bought the rest of the set. That will save a lot of swear words; either in dealing with the slow inflator on the jump starter, or having to drag out air hoses.

https://www.harborfreight.com/20v-cordless-0-160-psi-inflator-tool-only-56546.html

In my opinion, the Ryobi set alone as a package deal is a better value for the money, but a pain in the rear to get my hands on.  Seems that each of the Bauer tools I selected specs out a little better than their counterparts in the Ryobi se, and seem heavier duty. Bauer batteries are a little cheaper, and of course, it's MUCH easier for me to buy everything in store; and I can piece it together over time (currently, going with just the driver and batteries, which are the ones on sale, is easily affordable right now; and will save me hassle on some upcoming projects); which means a lot less cash at one go.  Ryobi and Bauer both seem to have comparable selections of things like chainsaws, inflators, vacuums, and blowers that run on the same batteries as well.

I also noticed that adding an inflator and extra 1.5Ah battery to the Ryobi set up made it MUCH more expensive than Harbor Freight; bringing to $370.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Ryobi Vs. Bauer
Reply #1 on: March 30, 2023, 05:45:36 PM
Hey Cody, I have no personal experience with Bauer.

I have really enjoyed my Ryobi tools.  I have a sawzal, saw, drill/driver, and light.  I  bought a string trimmer recently which I like very much.  I am very happy with my purchase of the brand and wouldn't hesitate to purchase more Ryobi.

The Bauer tools have got some great reviews from online folks.  I've read they also are owned by the same company that owns Ryobi and Milwaukee, whatever thats worth. 

Esse Quam Videri

england Offline Kev D

Reply #2 on: March 31, 2023, 11:35:05 AM
I've very happy with my Ryobi tools.  I gave my circular saw a good workout last week cutting kitchen counter tops for my sisters utility.  No kick back and really smooth cuts, it only bogged a bit at the initial plunge cut for the hole for a sink, first time I'd plunge cut with it so probably a bit quick with the first one. 

us Offline cody6268

Reply #3 on: April 10, 2023, 04:10:24 PM
I also looked at the warranties--Ryobi is three years, and the batteries also have a three-year warranty.  Harbor Freight--90 Days on everything; which is the same as saying "only better than nothing".

Plus, Ryobi has never changed the design of the battery connection points. For comparison--I claim a Dewalt 18V impact that a contractor left behind three years ago (and despite being told repeatedly to come and get it--never did)--the same model my grandparents bought a few years back as an upgrade to an older, underpowered 12V Hitachi set. I noticed that DeWalt had switched everything over to 20V, and the adapter+a couple of batteries & charger for the new batteries was almost as much as the entire Ryobi starter set I linked to. So, I've kept it around as a beater, since it's cosmetically very bad (and has a sketchy aftermarket battery), using it with our existing batteries.

I also talked to a few people I knew with Ryobi tools, and they like them a lot.

Thus, I think Ryobi it is then. Now to plan getting the darn things. 

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: April 10, 2023, 04:57:02 PM
 :tu:

The battery was a big deal for me as well.  Sure the cost of the tools played a part in my decision as well but knowing the battery has remained was important. 

Good luck and look for those deals.  Fathers day deal are sure to come up as well as 4th of July deals. 
Esse Quam Videri

england Offline Kev D

Reply #5 on: April 11, 2023, 12:05:42 PM
I can also recommend the Vanon fake batteries, I've got loads of them and they are great.  There are many fakes out there but I stick with Vanon as there are many vids out there of them stripping them to find they have great batteries in them, and also a few long use tests from an Australian gardener who uses them in his blowers, etc.

As Aloha said, keep an eye out for the deals on the genuine batteries, we had one here recently and I picked up 2 more 5Ah genuine Ryobi batteries.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%