Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Nail gun info needed

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Nail gun info needed
on: January 20, 2024, 01:16:37 PM
I've never had a nail gun, and I've only ever used one once or twice.

Over the summer, as many of you know, my finished basement flooded and now I have the insurance cheque to start rebuilding.

I previously had some framework sitting on top of the concrete foundation with foam panels in the gaps.  This insulated the plywood subfloor from the concrete.

Since all that was wet and moldy it all went away and now I have to rebuild it, and I'm pretty sure a nail gun would be very helpful in that task, so I need help choosing the proper one.

I was looking at the Worx Nitro 20v 2 in 1 electric one as the price is right and I already have PowerShares batteries for my lawnmower and weed whacker, but I'm not sure if that will have the power I need.

My framing will be 2x4's laid flat (not on edge) and the Worx gun says it will only penetrate a max of two inches and that doesn't seem to be enough.

So, I am open to suggestions.  I figure I'm going to need a good framing gun, but I really don't want to break the bank on it. 

Sadly I sold my compressor last year because, after ten years of owning it, I still hadn't even used it once.   :facepalm:

Any help is appreciated.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Re: Nail gun info needed
Reply #1 on: January 20, 2024, 06:52:47 PM
I would suggest Paslodes but price is bit high, we use those at work and those are really good but heavy and pricy (battey powered). I have allmost awlways used Paslodes or Hilti nailguns so i cannot recommend anything else. Those are so common here on constructions and if i ever need nailgun i just borrow it from work.

Only Tools Matters

us Offline Adam5

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 20, 2024, 10:31:35 PM
Paslode is what I have used also. Haven't tried any other brand.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: January 21, 2024, 03:09:06 PM
Wow, they are pretty pricey! 

:ahhh

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: January 21, 2024, 03:33:55 PM
I also have a Paslode finish and Framer.  The Framer has plenty of power.

Paslode almost always comes out on top for cordless nailers .

good comparision video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O6eH1VFgwY&ab_channel=ProjectFarm

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #5 on: January 21, 2024, 09:01:12 PM
Wow, they are pretty pricey! 

:ahhh

Def
One idea would be to rent if its possible but also that would mean your project should be done tight schedule to keep budget low.
Paslode is toptier but like i said its pricey so if your not planning to renovate whole house or build expansion to your house i dont recommend buying it.

Only Tools Matters

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: January 21, 2024, 11:19:43 PM
I doubt I will manage to do it quickly.  I will likely work for an hour or two each day, building a subfloor frame for an area of approximately 700 square feet.

I feel like renting will cost just as much in the end.

Def

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #7 on: January 22, 2024, 06:17:50 AM
I doubt I will manage to do it quickly.  I will likely work for an hour or two each day, building a subfloor frame for an area of approximately 700 square feet.

I feel like renting will cost just as much in the end.

Def
Sadly that might be true, here renting nailgun from toolrent place cost 25€/day but it was cheaper if borrowed longer times.

Only Tools Matters

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: January 22, 2024, 08:02:57 PM
I think that I may look at an air nailer since I will be getting the compressor for the other one anyway. 

Def

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: January 22, 2024, 08:09:49 PM
I think that I may look at an air nailer since I will be getting the compressor for the other one anyway. 

Def

Check pawn shops for compressors and nailers.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 23, 2024, 08:45:55 AM
We got some low to mid level priced 4" air based nail gun a few years ago for some roof we were building. If you happen to press a bit too long or hard or whatever it will shoot two nails when you wanted one. Apart from that it works just fine and the power can be adjusted to drive the nails just to the wanted depth. Good enough for our limited use, and we can shoot a lot of double nails for the price difference to a pro model.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: February 16, 2024, 08:44:51 PM
Having never owned or used a nail gun before, how do I know what kinds of nails to use in it?

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: February 18, 2024, 10:14:53 PM
Just to update this, I purchased a Ryobi AirWave framing nailer.  I was told it wasn't nearly as good as the DeWalt one, but at half the price of the DeWalt version I figured it was worth a shot.  The sales people I spoke to at two different stores seemed to think it would be good enough to get me through this project, but not much more.

I'm sure I will wish I got the DeWalt, but $212 for the Ryobi was a lot better on my aching wallet than $428 for the DeWalt.   :ahhh

Ded

us Offline Adam5

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #13 on: February 19, 2024, 12:24:51 AM
I think you made the right choice. It should hold up fine for your project.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: February 19, 2024, 01:47:51 AM
I've fired less than a dozen nails through it and I think I need more time to find out what it can do.  So far I'm not overly impressed, but it's still very likely I am doing something wrong or don't have it set up right.

I got a box of 2500 nails, which should be a suitable learning curve!

Def

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #15 on: February 19, 2024, 11:23:56 AM
I've fired less than a dozen nails through it and I think I need more time to find out what it can do.  So far I'm not overly impressed, but it's still very likely I am doing something wrong or don't have it set up right.

I got a box of 2500 nails, which should be a suitable learning curve!

Def
its allways bit learning how to use new stuff but its kinda part where you an learn something new. also choosing Ryobi is good choice since your not gonna build houses only renovating and maybe some extra space but you dont need expensive protools to make pro mark.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: February 19, 2024, 12:01:56 PM
The only concerning part is that both sales people felt that the Ryobi would probably not be functional long after my project, but it has a three year warranty, so it's worth the risk.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%