Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which shows less scratches and wear, ruby or sapphire?

Offline Myoman

Which shows less scratches and wear, ruby or sapphire?
on: October 13, 2018, 08:19:43 AM
Which shows less visible scratches and wear over time, the ruby or sapphire transluscent scales?

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Re: Which shows less scratches and wear, ruby or sapphire?
Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 11:29:42 AM
Which shows less visible scratches and wear over time, the ruby or sapphire transluscent scales?

My guess it's it will be just about the same...  :think:

Scratches and wear will show eventually, regardless of the color. You can always polish it nevertheless, from time to time, and get them shiny again....  :D
What also helps to prevent too much scratches is, if you pocket carry, being very mindful of what you put in your pocket along with your sak's. I never carry mine in the same pocket as other stuff that might scratch the scales.
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 01:32:29 PM

My guess it's it will be just about the same...  :think:

Scratches and wear will show eventually, regardless of the color. You can always polish it nevertheless, from time to time, and get them shiny again....  :D
What also helps to prevent too much scratches is, if you pocket carry, being very mindful of what you put in your pocket along with your sak's. I never carry mine in the same pocket as other stuff that might scratch the scales.
:iagree:
If you're that bothered by scratches consider a slipcase to keep it in or don't use it  :D (second option isn't really an option)
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 02:02:28 PM
Just buy a spare set of scales for the say the scatches start to bother you. Slap the new scales on and bingo, you've got a brand new looking SAK again. :)

Too bad we, as humans, can't do that for ourselves to look new. :ahhh
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 05:12:11 PM
The Ruby will show the scratches more so than the Sapphire in my opinion.  Wave-length thingy!

:facepalm: to tell the truth, I do not know, I like the looks of the sapphire scales better! :hatsoff:

If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #5 on: October 13, 2018, 07:05:09 PM
since both are a 9 hardness score on Mohs' scale, I'd say that the same scratches

http://scienceviews.com/geology/mohs.html

:D :facepalm:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #6 on: October 13, 2018, 07:12:24 PM
The translucent seem to suffer a little more than the solid colour ones, but I haven't had red and green translucent ones to compare against each other.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #7 on: October 13, 2018, 11:06:48 PM
I have both and even the emerald ones and IMO I think the ruby shows them more just because they seem to be easier to see in the dark red.

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #8 on: October 14, 2018, 12:30:35 AM
I had a knife with scratched ruby scales and thought they looked so bad that I'd never choose them - even if I liked the colour, which I don't. Of translucent scales I prefer the sapphire by far.

If you're concerned about scratches, opaque scales wear more gracefully in my view.

since both are a 9 hardness score on Mohs' scale, I'd say that the same scratches

http://scienceviews.com/geology/mohs.html

:D :facepalm:

Lol! Man, I take things too seriously sometimes. It took me longer than it should have to get your post, even though I thought of the minerals when I read the thread title.  :facepalm:
Rambler

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD