Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Arizona, USA

us Offline GrandpaPatch

Arizona, USA
on: October 13, 2018, 09:36:24 AM
Hello everyone. My first introduction to MT/SAK wasn't even a knife. It was this little folding can opener and bottle opener. Needless to say my collection of knives and tools has improved over the years.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The SAK Whittling Club |
Is it better to carry a 'paddle' or to be "up a creek" without one?

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: Arizona, USA
Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 09:41:55 AM
Welcome!  :salute:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 09:50:45 AM
welcome to the forum Grandpa.  :hatsoff:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 11:18:15 AM
welcome mate
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 02:19:13 PM
Welcome to the forum Grandpa  :cheers:

gb Offline badwolf

• No Life Club
  • my best friends a dog
Reply #5 on: October 13, 2018, 04:07:59 PM
Hi Grandpa  :cheers: Welcome to  :MTO:
"I like me, my wife likes me"

JC PT&A

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: October 13, 2018, 04:21:25 PM
Welcome.  I bet many had something similar to your first knife/tool.  I remember seeing one with a few more implements. mostly for nail care. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #7 on: October 13, 2018, 05:36:53 PM
Welcome aboard, my grandparents lived out in Mesa Arizona, I used to fly out every year during my summer vacation and spend 3 weeks, had to go horse back riding once, but we’d travel everywhere!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline GrandpaPatch

Reply #8 on: October 13, 2018, 08:02:32 PM
Welcome aboard, my grandparents lived out in Mesa Arizona, I used to fly out every year during my summer vacation and spend 3 weeks, had to go horse back riding once, but we’d travel everywhere!
JR
I'm in Casa Grande, halfway between Phoenix and Tucson. I visit the Mesa swap meet at least twice a year during snowbird season to shop all the vendors that come out.

Sent from my multi-function talky-typie-thing Tapatalk

The SAK Whittling Club |

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: October 13, 2018, 09:00:50 PM
JR
I'm in Casa Grande, halfway between Phoenix and Tucson. I visit the Mesa swap meet at least twice a year during snowbird season to shop all the vendors that come out.

Tucson, I think that’s where my grandmothers sister lived, her husband was nuts, he didn’t eat meals, he would litterly eat all day just picking, and at like 95 was in better shape then me at 12! His one kid had a hobby room which was a mud room, you had to go through it to get to the garage, and OMG, for the 5sec it took you to walk through you’d get high from all the glue! I had no problem cause I did models myself but the one time my grandfather almost hit the floor..
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: October 14, 2018, 04:10:07 PM
Welcome to :MTO: Grandpa :cheers:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: October 15, 2018, 03:46:08 PM
Hi Grandpa and welcome to  :MTO: :cheers:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #12 on: October 16, 2018, 06:26:40 AM
Welcome to the MT madhouse, GrandpaPatch! :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline GrandpaPatch

Reply #13 on: October 16, 2018, 07:10:43 AM
Thanks for the welcomes everyone!
The SAK Whittling Club |

england Offline Kev D

Reply #14 on: October 16, 2018, 07:57:00 AM
Welcome aboard  :tu:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #15 on: October 16, 2018, 12:02:07 PM
Welcome to the forum!

:cheers: :tu:

Like the look of that first tool. Isn't the tip a little knife? Do you know what's the total length of that tool?

:think: :think:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline GrandpaPatch

Reply #16 on: October 16, 2018, 10:47:49 PM
Like the look of that first tool. Isn't the tip a little knife? Do you know what's the total length of that tool?

It is 2 5/16"L (folfded) or 4 1/8'"L (open) x 1/2"W and 1/8"D. According to my trusty wooden ruler and eyesight with glasses. :tu:
The SAK Whittling Club |

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #17 on: October 24, 2018, 05:43:03 PM

It is 2 5/16"L (folfded) or 4 1/8'"L (open) x 1/2"W and 1/8"D. According to my trusty wooden ruler and eyesight with glasses. :tu:

Could you be a little more precise, please?

:pok: :pok:

Show content
J/K! Thanks, very good glasses you must have.

:cheers: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #18 on: October 25, 2018, 02:59:02 PM
welcome mate!
I had a similar tool as a kid with that implement plus a blade (sheepsfoot) and a nail file. Metal was so sooooft  :dunno:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline GrandpaPatch

Reply #19 on: November 04, 2018, 08:23:12 AM
 :SAKnight:
My personal background: I grew up as an Army Brat, joined the Marine Corps right out of High School, where I served 13 years (1984-1997) on active duty, Four of my thirteen years I was a Weapons Instructor, teaching small arms, special weapons and tactics (tire house might ring a bell with a few of you). I am a combat veteran and technically 'medically disabled' according to the VA (Veteran's Affairs). While I am proud to say that I am a combat veteran, I have a dislike for veteran's groups, as I have had some bad experiences with three different organizations. I try to keep my mind straight and point other veterans towards those organizations and remember that the bad was with a specific post/unit and that the rest of the veteran's organization are doing great work to help the kids coming home today. I worked for the AZ Department of Corrections for a few years (1998-2001), where I also served as a weapons instructor teaching basic handgun, shotgun and AR-15 marksmanship. There was nothing taught beyond the basic BRASS and 'shot that direction'. I have been retired (medically) ever since. During this 'retirement' I have worked for an aircraft mechanic as a wrench monkey and hanger ape (fetch this and fix the simple stuff) and worked for a local gun shop as an instructor for people wanting to get their CCW. I am now a full time grandparent of three great kids and if I'm not home irritating my wife then I am either at the VA, wandering in the desert or out at the local range. I don't go out to just wander the stores or mingle with the public, as it is mentally taxing on me.

Every Day Carry (EDC)? “What is that?” I asked a friend of mine, after he mentioned EDC and made a few comments about me always having at least two “weapons” and a multi-tool on me at all times. There has been the mini-mag flashlight, flashlight/taser, strike stick, collapsible baton, a couple versions of the smaller, easily pocketed Swiss Army Knifes and the SwissChamp that has not been replaced in many years, multiple version of the Leatherman multi-tool, and a few more versions of the Gerber multi-tool, assorted no name multi-tools, a P-38 (can opener), various bottle openers, folding razor blade knife, fixed blade knife (for more dire situations), credit card tools (I’ve lost a few of these), handgun (+spare mags/speed loaders, the make and model has changed over the years), sometimes a few extra PayDay candy bars or Granola bars and a bandanna in my rear pocket (opposite side of my wallet). I have never carried all of this at once. All of these things have been in different configurations over the years and some of the items have fallen into the junk drawer until needed again another year. The only constant carry items I have carried is a handgun, a pocket knife, a multi-tool of some variety (SAK, Leatherman, Gerber), a bandanna/handkerchief, wallet and watch. My Concealed Carry Weapon (CCW) permits have always been maintained. Even in Arizona, where you can pretty much carry anything openly or concealed (pertaining to legal weapons) without a permit, I still have a CCW permit. I had never thought of it or even paid attention to anything like an EDC item. It was just something I’ve always done and didn’t know that EDC was even a “thing”. I just had that Boyscout and USMC mentality of “always be prepared” and “plan for the worst and hope for the best”.

So I became aware that “EDC” was what I was already doing, but did not know that “Everyday Carry” was a daily routine in life for so many people, or a lifestyle and even a subculture according to some. There have been so many different things that I have carried on a daily basis in my life. Depending on where I lived and what I was doing on a daily basis dictated what it was that I carried daily. So being made aware of the EDC mentality and that there are a lot of items made today (and some really nice Do-It-Yourself (DIY) items) I started looking into improving what I carry, adding more versatility/utility and saving space and weight while doing so. ATM, this is backfiring on me and I need to slim down some as the addition of an EDC pouch has given me the space to carry too much (is there such as thing as…’too much’)? 

My search to improve my EDC led my into a lot of different forums on the internet. Some of them I thought were “way out in left field” and others were so rigid in what could or could not be discussed that it was difficult to find good information. Along the way of searching for information I came across several forums that where for the preppers’ to share and discuss their ideas. Now I have heard of and met a few ‘preppers’ casually and thought they were ready for the Zombie Apocalypse or were ready to “Don and Clear” because the nuclear holocaust was so close to reality and of course the list would not be complete without mentioning those who swear the “end of days” or the end of the world was upon us and that we should all repent and pray before God smites us and presses Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart earth. I have also met a local couple who are serious preppers, but I didn’t know it for almost 6 months after meeting them. They are everyday, normal people who have a plan and were working the plan so that they didn’t get caught with their pants around their ankles when “everything heads south” (that was their terminology). It wasn’t until I learned about their prepping that I realized that preppers were not just for the zombie apocalypse. Prepping was not a cult, a subculture or a bunch of weirdos’ stockpiling ammunition for zombie head shots. Saying someone is a prepper is not different then saying that someone is ready for the next LA riot, or hurricane, or major power outage. It is just a label and with every label you find things you like and don’t like. Difference is an evil thing, because most people can’t open their eyes to ‘different’. Difference is what makes humanity so great, yet it is also humanity’s downfall, again because people can’t handle ‘different’.

Honestly, I don’t think ‘preppers’ care what YOU think of them, except maybe “late for dinner”. They are concerned with the safety, welfare and continued existence of themselves, their families and maybe even their friends. “What are they preparing for?”, you might ask. Well that is different for each individual. Some are waiting for the day when “smurf Hits The Fan” or when SHTF, others have survived “off grid” away from the daily needs of Starbucks, electrical bills, telemarketers, rush hour traffic or anything else that puts an unnecessary burden on them. There are others who have survived terrible situations caused by mother nature. They have learned from experience and are putting that knowledge to use. Some preppers have property, buildings, gardens, livestock, and stores of supplies and others are just a family that has prepacked bags and a full tank of gas in the vehicle so that they can survive for a couple of days if they have to ‘get out of dodge’, when SHTF.  So how do we know when SHTF and need get out of dodge or hunker down and wait it out? Look out your window! I now have a new perspective and respect for those who are preparing themselves and their families for whatever life may bring at us next.

So anyway, I have been searching the internet and reading a few forums. I have found several websites, forums and videos that have been helpful, entertaining and some just down right funny, while providing a new perspective and good information. I have joined a few forums, but I think i have found a place to settle into and become a full time active member.

There is one thing that more people need to add to their EDC list…..their brain! Common sense and a practical approach to most issues in life can lead to positive results, having the right gear makes it so much easier. Time, experience and those sometimes painful lessons learned (Oh, that did not work!) are just as valuable as some of that high tech gear.

I hope I have not bored you to death with my post or scared you off away from any discussion that I may join during my stay here at multitool.org. So as they say at some of the meetings “Hello, I’m GrandpaPatch and I have a problem with…. wanting more EDC gear.”
The SAK Whittling Club |

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: November 04, 2018, 12:44:39 PM
Nice story you will feel right at home here :cheers: :like:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: November 04, 2018, 03:19:16 PM
Thank you for your service  :salute:.  I appreciate to extended version of your post.  Nice to hear MTO is a nice fit so far.  We've got quite a community here with some really wonderful folks from all over the world. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: November 04, 2018, 06:21:38 PM
Ty for your service, our older son is looking to join the navy,,
JR

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: November 05, 2018, 09:25:11 PM
Welcome!

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #24 on: November 05, 2018, 11:25:41 PM
JR

Welcome!  :salute: another AZ resident here!  I'm in central Phoenix  :cheers:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%