Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How good is the file for plastic and cardboard?

Offline Myoman

How good is the file for plastic and cardboard?
on: October 13, 2018, 09:01:37 PM
I play hobbyist board games, and some of the thick cardboard tokens and plastic miniatures have little chads and tags hanging off of them due to the natural cardboard cutting / plastic molding process. How good is the file for the 91mm for filing these hanging chads down?

de Offline ulzhan

• No Life Club
  • The Spirit of Central Asia
Re: How good is the file for plastic and cardboard?
Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 09:20:08 PM
For plastic it's good. It normally also doesn't dull the file. You have two different sides, one coarse and one fine.

Cardboard? Don't know.

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Re: How good is the file for plastic and cardboard?
Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 10:55:33 PM
I'm a fan of the Vic 91mm files. As above, they work well for plastics. That said, if you have one available, I think the smaller nail files would be a better choice for your purpose as they'll leave a smoother finish, in my experience.

Another option is fine sandpaper. I don't like chads annoying either and this is how I've dealt with them in the past. It'll also be kinder to cardboard.

In case you're not aware, there are two predominent 91mm files. Each has its place. Against the older, thinner, chromed case hardened file, the current stainless steel file is coarser and more aggressive, even on its fine side. Great for rapid removal of material. It's also more durable when used on hard metals. The older file is quickly dulled by very hard metals, but is finer and gentler on both sides and leaves a smoother finish on softer metals and materials.
Rambler

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD