Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Trying to create my dream mod knife. With edc, how is the metal file? Need help!

Offline Myoman

So I'm having someone do a mod for me, and it will be my dream knife, something that will be my singular edc go-to until I die. It's really important to me that it's as close to ideal as possible, I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out if I want the metal file or not. The major consideration is that it might push the knife over the edge from being pocket carry to pouch carry.

I used to carry a huntsman lite and at 24.8mm width it was near perfect width wise. It felt pocket carry able, and with its weight I liked the fact I could feel it in my pocket, reminding that it was there and ready to go at a moment's notice. Most importantly, none of the tools felt too off center due to its width.

So doing some math and taking the width difference between the deluxe tinker and the trouble shooter, the file (and I'm guessing the extra plate)  adds 2.5 mm.

Without the file my mod is going to be around 25.5 to 26mm, slightly more that the huntsman. With the file, it's going to be 28.5. That puts it a slightly wider than a champion plus or cybertool 34. Visusally speaking, after watching video reviews, the cybertool 34 looks right at the cusp of having tools be too off center for my tastes and too wide for the pocket. But it is so close I can't decide. If you haven't noticed I've been flooding the forums with various threads try to suss this out.

So the tiebreaker is going to have to be functionality. I've had a file on a lm wave before, but I hadn't used it, but I wasn't using the lm as an ecd. If I don't choose the file, I have this feeling that all these file scenarios are going to come up and I wont have the tool to save the day. But I want to be realistic...am I really going to need it?

The mod is for pure urban EDC. I dont do a lot of heavy house projects, nor do I work in construction. The sak is more for tinkering and puttering around, using it when opportunities arise. Alson I won't be using the file to clean my nails.

So have you found the metal file to be mandatory? Or just rare use?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 03:25:20 PM by Myoman »

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Re: For urban EDC, how useful is the metal file? Need help!
Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 03:16:40 PM
It’s come in handy once in awhile. Sometimes my son’s toys or other things have a rough fit and finish and for safety sake it’s best to deburr or smooth out a corner.
Or a jagged fingernail.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: For urban EDC, how useful is the metal file? Need help!
Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 03:38:50 PM
It’s come in handy once in awhile. Sometimes my son’s toys or other things have a rough fit and finish and for safety sake it’s best to deburr or smooth out a corner.
Or a jagged fingernail.
:iagree: :like:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
There has to be a cut off point.  If we continue to say, just one more layer in case of......   Then you could very well be looking at an XAVT  :whistle:

If we are simply looking at the file on its own merit then.....   How many actual situations have arose where you could have benefited from having it?  Playing the what if game had me carrying my Swisschamp and Minichamp. 

The file is a wonderful tool. 
Esse Quam Videri

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
While I don't use the file often it's hard to substitute something in its place if you really need to take a rough edge off.  It makes a good blunt poky tool too.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
While I don't use the file often it's hard to substitute something in its place if you really need to take a rough edge off.  It makes a good blunt poky tool too.
:iagree: and no blood!

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
What are the other layers? If you don't mind me asking

However it sounds like you are going big - So go for it - It is a very thin layer
Also it doesn't usually take an extra liner either as it sits next to the saw in the SC without a liner

And as H says - Nothing can substitute for a metal file and/or saw -  If you need to do something to metal.
I was on a hike once and I ripped my hand on sticking out piece of metal on a railing - I wish I'd had a file with me to smooth it down for the next person  - (I did manage a bodge)

Whereas the metal file can saw wood at a pinch!

us Offline FolderBeholder

As someone who likes mods, I'd say go with the one that is the slimmest that you feel is right for you as I think you'll carry it more often than leaving it behind.
When I came up with what was important to me, I wanted to stay as close to 3 layers as possible, since I carried a Camper for many years and find it perfect.
My mod is 4 layers, seen below.  Not all layers are alike though, as mentioned, some tools are narrow (saw), whereas some are thick (cyber tool).
To me, this mod has proven to be the one that I like and carry.  I've since discovered MiniChamps and Vagabonds, but that's a whole other topic.  :hatsoff:

My 4-layer mod:
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

Offline Myoman

That is certainly an eclectic mix of tools. Really cool!

Offline Myoman

Basically it's an explorer plus with pliers, with a pruner instead of a small blade. So no saw blade to place the file next to.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 04:37:18 PM by Myoman »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return

Basically it's an explorer plus with pliers, with a pruner instead of a small blade. So no saw blade to place the file next to.

Sounds great.  The file as I and the others mention is great.  Your mod does sound really nice with the addition of the file.  Its slim enough to not be cumbersome.  Go for it.     
Esse Quam Videri

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake

That was pretty much my first mod (excuse the crappy pic):

Though I used the small pen blade instead of the pruner.  Good choice. :tu:

Offline Myoman

Hiraethus how did you find your mod worked out? When and why did you retire it?

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
It was very useful, and got carried a fair bit.  I didn't put it together very well though, and it needs to be dismantled and re-peened.  Definitely smaller than a SwissChamp, and only a little larger than a Craftsman/Handyman.

Offline Myoman

How did you find it carried in say a jeans pocket?

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
It's a tough call, trying balance function with a knife size that you're prepared to carry. For me, the cut off point is a Ranger. I do like the CT34, but its a bit too wide for general carry, so it will be a donor for some upcoming mods.

That said, I intend keeping a CT41 in the array, as if I'm going to carry a knife fatter than a Ranger, it might as well have everything I might want.

I to am in two minds about the file on the mod using the CT34. I'm torn between a "cyber-explorer" type set up, with blade, scissors, CT and opener layers, or switching the opener layer for the combo tool, and adding a file. I think having both the opener and file layer, might just nudge it a bit too wide for my liking.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Offline Myoman

It's amazing what a few millimeters will do.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
How did you find it carried in say a jeans pocket?

Depends on the jeans.  :shrug:  It's noticeable, for sure.  If there's enough crap in the pocket with it, it'll stay where I put it.  If it's on its own in there it'll move about.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
 I think the handling rather than the carrying, is the more important aspect for me. Then there's too much function on one item, it gets a bit cumbersome.

My usual approach is to carry a Swiss knife with a pliers tool, and this eliminates my need to have a phillips on the knife, as the pliers tool usually has one anyway. That takes away two of the widest layers (pliers and inline phillips), and makes the knife a better size for me.

However, since i've moved to a more sedate lifestyle, I've started moving a little more to "knife only", and the pliers tools are getting carried less. This in turn means needing to have the phillips back on the knife.

It's a balancing act, and you just have to discover and work within your own preferences.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
If you´re going to have your dream SAK you will find a way of carrying it no matter the size and weight. That´s my experience. And as others have said, the file doesn´t add much of either.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
I've learned something a while ago after years of Sak carry...

""There is the stuff you "think" you need, and then there is the stuff that you "actually" need/use""

Finding the limits of each is a very personal thing, no one can tell you what's relevant or not in any situation or place, only you can figure it out for yourself.

I've been carrying Sak's for 30 years, and I'm still figuring it out every day...  :cheers:
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 08:00:45 PM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

00 Offline undertaker99

A friend of mine parked his car one evening and when he returned to his car, the lot was closed with a chain across the driveway. He used the metal saw in his SAK to cut the chain.

us Offline tommywp

With or without the metal file, if you’recarrying that SAK in your pocket it will probably be positioned with the back tools against your leg and the nail nicks touching your front pants or vice versa...my point being that adding an extra layer will consume a few extra milimeterrs of pocket space from side to side but won’t make the SAK protrude out from your leg anymore. For me that depth from leg to front of the pants is the most important dimension when it comes to comfortable pocket carry. So if you’re already accepting the depth of an SAK positioned in that direction then an extra file layer Isnt going to add much. And you can get the small technicians driver on the backside that’s great for battery compartments. Go for it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%