Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman is crushing the collectibility aspect of their products

chrono · 42 · 2917

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Really...  >:( I have a large collection of Charges, among which the Realtree bead blast Camo and their camo leather sheaths are my crown jewel. Then I see this today: https://www.leatherman.com/charge-tti-realtree-camo-612.html
Yes, they are bringing this version back with the camo leather sheath to boost. The only saving grace is my Realtree Charges are of older scale style, but still, I paid pretty good money for them. They did the same thing with the Topo Skeletool and Freestyle which were supposed to be REI's exclusives.

On another note, new Charge products with old-style pliers head?  ??? I will not be surprised to see the blue shade of the Shinola Charge resurface in the near future.

charge-tti-realtree-camo.jpg
* charge-tti-realtree-camo.jpg (Filesize: 46.48 KB)
charge-tti-realtree-camo-closed.jpg
* charge-tti-realtree-camo-closed.jpg (Filesize: 43.61 KB)
camo-sheath.jpg
* camo-sheath.jpg (Filesize: 48.64 KB)

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
They must see a good market opportunity in bringing those back, since people are paying above premium for the originals. But, for collectors I wouldn't worry too much, because your examples have the OG datecodes. :)

IMO, they need to do everything they can to stay operating in the U.S.  :ahhh
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Dang they look good!! Excited for the camo sheath, they are very hard to find at the moment for sure.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Dang they look good!! Excited for the camo sheath, they are very hard to find at the moment for sure.

Of course they are hard to find.. They are camo-ed..  ;)

fr Offline lovecraft25

:like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
I am happy to see them reissue these as many never really had a chance to buy one the first go round :like:

I may not get one but it is a great option and they always look so cool :drool: :dd: :like:

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
I am curious about the camo sheath as well. Mine are of thick leather and not as "dry" as standard black leather sheaths. I wonder if they will sell this sheath alone?

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!

:D

They must see a good market opportunity in bringing those back, since people are paying above premium for the originals. But, for collectors I wouldn't worry too much, because your examples have the OG datecodes. :)

IMO, they need to do everything they can to stay operating in the U.S.  :ahhh
:tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Glockfan

I’m guessing they had extra plier heads laying around. If not, they would of been charge+ heads with the camo.

Does kind of stink for the collector, but they are cool looking.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Isn't this good for collectors ?  More collectors can now have one for  their collection.  :tu:

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Dad gum that thing is sexy.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Isn't this good for collectors ?  More collectors can now have one for  their collection.  :tu:

I would think the same as Steve. More variety for collection is always a good thing. In terms of value, that is a whole different and upsetting story... Something that used to be pretty rare and exclusive suddenly becomes a camo-ed older model. I would be darn pissed in this aspect as well.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
So what is LM supposed to do then? Do they have a responsibility to not upset collectors by re-releasing stuff? ???
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
So what is LM supposed to do then? Do they have a responsibility to not upset collectors by re-releasing stuff? ???

They are just following the example set by several Car makers with their "continuation" builds eg Jaguar ( lightweight E type, XKSS, D type), Aston Martin (DB4 GT), Shelby, Alvis.

And for the same reason:  to make money (which is why most companies exist).

Like it or not, it is their brand and they can do what they like.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
I noticed that the Raptor is now available in many colors and many tools are available in beige (I'm sure there is a more tactical sounding name for that) frame with BO tools.

I will not be surprised to see the blue shade of the Shinola Charge resurface in the near future.
That would be awesome, I would buy one
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Yep I would  say they are making them more collectable

In that - There are some nice new camo Charges out there to collect or to buy and use  :tu:

Of course this means there are more of these guys around - So does that make yours less valuable ?   Hmmm  ???
Hopefully not too much as, thanks to the date codes, you have an original, and to a true collector this will matter - and not decrease the value

I guess this is what you are worried about - Did yours cost way more than the list price for this new one?   :cry: :cry:

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Did yours cost way more than the list price for this new one?   :cry: :cry:
No, I paid less than these MSRP, but still about double the average I paid for Ti/ Tti Charge. Plus the time and effort for the hunt  :cry:

My prediction for the Charge lineup is full BO and silver/ black editions. They already have BO components, just a matter of making BO Ti scales. I would rather they have more steel choices for blades, instead of pumping same tools out in all sorts of color. I would love to see some Japanese steel, US supersteel, or Damascus steel to be offered.

Look, guys! I was just ranting, not complaining  :-[

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Well the old ones like yours are not the same as the new ones, right?  :tu:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
I don't think they've done this to affect collectability, I just think they've run out of ideas and motivation.
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Blade variations would be neat.  While I like the S30V in my Charge TTi I think a Damascus one would be pretty sweet in a BO TTI or who knows. 
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Sounds like an excuse to use up old parts to me, much like they did with the ceracoted Fuses after the zytels were discontinued.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Sounds like an excuse to use up old parts to me, much like they did with the ceracoted Fuses after the zytels were discontinued.

I am not sure if using up old parts is the reason behind this. If so, they would not have to go thru the trouble to bead blast the parts, and offering the camo leather sheaths in the deal. My theory is, they are continuing the trend of offering more color variation to their products, targeting collectors. They also want to drive more traffic to their website instead of to distributors' (Cabela's in this case).

us Offline JustinCase

Re: Leatherman is crushing the collectibility aspect of their products
Reply #22 on: November 04, 2018, 10:12:13 PM
“It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I try a little longer to solve the problem"

us Offline JustinCase

Reply #23 on: November 29, 2018, 07:20:22 PM
Gone!... Didn't last that long at $108 with free shipping  :popcorn:

https://www.leatherman.com/charge-tti-realtree-camo-612.html
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 07:40:55 PM by JustinCase »
“It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I try a little longer to solve the problem"

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #24 on: November 29, 2018, 09:11:03 PM
That was a great deal on that camo TTi if someone wanted one!  I was really debating one but that CC just doesn't do it for me!

I would like to see more blade steel choices or options in the lines like Surge, Charge and Wave.  Could you imagine a s30v blade in a Surge?   :tu:

us Offline JustinCase

Reply #25 on: November 29, 2018, 11:55:06 PM
 Already added to the Retire Products list on the LM website. Good to keep it as collectors item since was only produced and available for less than 3 months.

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #26 on: November 30, 2018, 01:47:41 AM
I placed an order more than a week ago. It is still shown as being processed. I am actually worried that my order may get canceled. :-[

us Offline JustinCase

Reply #27 on: November 30, 2018, 06:02:30 AM
I placed an order more than a week ago. It is still shown as being processed. I am actually worried that my order may get canceled. :-[

I think the 40% off sale started last Friday 23 and they usually ship 2-3 days after order was placed, unless they read your post about "crashing" the collectibility of their product and know they're making you wait ;)...Just kidding man! :D

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #28 on: November 30, 2018, 06:44:46 AM
They shipped mine today, so hopefully yours will be out soon. Leatherman called to confirm my order on Monday. I placed the order on Saturday evening. :popcorn:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: November 30, 2018, 09:48:29 AM
They shipped mine today, so hopefully yours will be out soon. Leatherman called to confirm my order on Monday. I placed the order on Saturday evening. :popcorn:

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD