Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Any thoughts yet on the new Fenix E18R?

us Offline Joe58

Any thoughts yet on the new Fenix E18R?
on: October 21, 2018, 12:15:18 AM
Forgive me if this has been covered, I searched and didn’t see it, but I had an email notice a few days back on the new E18R being released by Fenix.

Was just curious what the Group Think was, and if it’d compete for playing time with my Olight Mini Baton Cu, which I am fond of.

Being weak willed and with barely any stamina whatsoever to withstand the vicious onset of 1 email, I did order one.  :ahhh

https://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-e18r-rechargeable-led-flashlight/
🇨🇭

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Re: Any thoughts yet on the new Fenix E18R?
Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 01:16:50 AM
I like the two way body clip on the E16, and 2/3 the cost.
- Steve

us Offline Joe58

Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 02:24:47 AM
I noticed too that the E16 is a tish smaller in length as well IIRC. Lose a bit of Lumens too maybe? It is a little cheaper, but I didn’t feel the E18 was horrendous in price given as bright as it is and externally rechargeable. The progress they’ve made in miniaturization on lights these past few years is really amazing to me. I don’t know though if this is tech being co-opted from other areas/fields or not. But it’s pretty cool as compared to like when I was a youngster.

On the E18, I did like that it has a place for a split ring, in case you’d rather not depend on the body type clip.

Myself, I do not care for the body clips, but rather just drop it into my pocket. So I like the split ring so I can attach my minichamp.

*I did want to confess that my most preferred light is the small Olight single AAA copper. I think it was 120 lumens in just one mode. But as we know, lumens is kind of a subjective detail most times from light to light. One mode lights, which I like best, rather than stepping thru all the brightness levels are getting harder to find, especially in single AAA. But you know how goes with flashlight junkies. End up with an entire drawer full. Really should go thru them and get rid of a bunch I’ve not used in a long time.
But I’m beginning to wander off track as usual. Time to find someone to take me back to the home. Lol.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 02:40:14 AM by Joe58 »
🇨🇭

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 02:47:38 AM
The E16 also has a split ring attachment.  I use the clips to mount on the brim of a hat, either light will work that way.
Looks like quite a bit of overlap between the two lights, either one looks like a good choice.
I'm also amazed at the performance of LED flashlights these days.
- Steve

us Offline Joe58

Reply #4 on: October 21, 2018, 11:47:16 AM
Ah good, in the pics I’d seen, I couldn’t see the split ring hole on the E16. That’s an issue with my Olight Mini Baton. No means to add a split ring and dump that bulky body clip. But no more often than I actually carry the light out of the house, it’s livable. I’ll be curious to compare though once the E18 gets here.
🇨🇭

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 06:41:28 AM
It looks cool, but almost identical to Olight except for the split ring and higher price for their supposedly economy line...Still want one  :rofl: but just too pricey, last black friday there was Olight S1r for less then $22. let us know what you think

us Offline Joe58

Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 10:23:11 AM
Yeah, I will. I think it gets here today. Fenix says they are sold out and it’s back ordered till mid-November. Bah! Ordered it off Amazon, same price but with two non-chargeable batteries, and free delivery, even though I’m not Prime. I’ll need to find a rechargeable though to try it out. I wish these lites on high mode wouldn’t get so hot. On other lights, I’d just turn it on, and time it till it went dead. Can’t do that with these hi output guys. I’ll try to think of something else to test duration.

Side note - have you noticed that there seems to be two or three Fenix type stores that all look about exactly the same? I wonder if back behind the screen somewhere, they aren’t actually all tied together someway.

If I’m remember right, I think one Fenix site does give a discount code you can get off the Usual Suspects forum? Perhaps not, it’s been years since I’ve gone over there. Lots of info there if you’re into the high speed stuff. Especially Strider. They be lovin’ some Strider over there. Sorry - off track again. And I’m guessing I should not be talking about other sites either. My apologies webmaster (all hail  :tu:) and if needed, please delete that last paragraph.
🇨🇭

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 10:05:37 AM
Not sure If I remember this correctly, but Fenix was originally distributed by guy that ran 47's, then I think it was taken over by either fenix store or fenix outfitters, but you may be right as to the current owners of the sites being related, yeah I'm too lazy to google this   :dunno:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%