Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Huntsman from 85-91

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Huntsman from 85-91
on: October 23, 2018, 01:50:59 AM
Bought this one because of the slotted Phillips head. Which is super thin. I thought the seller sent the wrong SAK. Seller was right. I had to get a 20x jewelers loop out to find it. Apologized to seller. Will buy from again. This one will be a collection piece. The shape and condition is great.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 02:00:36 AM by Rapidray »

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Huntsman from 85-91
Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 04:02:28 AM
I never understood why the BSA could use names for Victorinox knives that are for models that they clearly aren't....
- Terry

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 04:19:56 AM
It had me going to the SAKWIKI to check it out but it was listed there. I didn’t even know about the Phillips can opener, until I heard about it here.

ua Offline LeaF

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 12:32:57 PM
Few cents from me:
https://leaf-vics.com/2017/08/589-huntsman-bsa.html

Thanks for sharing...have bookmarked your page. Great information and will check it out more later on.  :like: :cheers:

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 03:36:00 PM
Bought this one because of the slotted Phillips head. Which is super thin. I thought the seller sent the wrong SAK. Seller was right. I had to get a 20x jewelers loop out to find it. Apologized to seller. Will buy from again. This one will be a collection piece. The shape and condition is great.

Since no one has commented on this,allow me to do so.Your Vic,I believe,is a Fieldmaster.

Congrats Ray.

I have a Deluxe Tinker from that era and it also has the "can key" phillips.I can push my thumbnail into the can key slot.

FROM SAK WIKI:
The Victorinox Fieldmaster is a 91mm model that is closely related to the Huntsman. The Fieldmaster is only different from the Huntsman in that it includes the Phillips screwdriver on the back rather than the Corkscrew.

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Fieldmaster
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: October 25, 2018, 04:03:41 PM
Here are two quick shots of my Deluxe Tinker from that era.
del-tink1-1.JPG
* del-tink1-1.JPG (Filesize: 129.58 KB)
del-tink2-1.JPG
* del-tink2-1.JPG (Filesize: 127.48 KB)
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: October 25, 2018, 07:24:36 PM
Went to the page from your link. Yep...saw the Variations and #2 list the BSA version as a Huntsman...

Variations
1. This configuration is older enough to be found with Victoria and 'Hoffritz tang stamps.
2. The official BSA (Boy Scouts of America) version with the same tools is actually called a Huntsman for reasons that may never really be known.
3. Special CANADA-Series version features metal Buffalo and Maple Leaf inlays on the top scale.
4. The VSAKCS 2003 Annual Knife was a green scaled Fieldmaster with an imprited silver engraving panel on the top scales.

It reminds me of the major league umpire on a play he made...player slide into 2nd base...players looked at him for the call...he looked at them both and said “you both know he is safe, but everyone is seeing my hand up in the air, so you are out!.”

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 07:25:40 PM
Here are two quick shots of my Deluxe Tinker from that era.
Very nice.... :like:  :tu:

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 08:29:03 PM
Went to the page from your link. Yep...saw the Variations and #2 list the BSA version as a Huntsman...
Variations
1. This configuration is older enough to be found with Victoria and 'Hoffritz tang stamps.
2. The official BSA (Boy Scouts of America) version with the same tools is actually called a Huntsman for reasons that may never really be known.
3. Special CANADA-Series version features metal Buffalo and Maple Leaf inlays on the top scale.
4. The VSAKCS 2003 Annual Knife was a green scaled Fieldmaster with an imprited silver engraving panel on the top scales.
It reminds me of the major league umpire on a play he made...player slide into 2nd base...players looked at him for the call...he looked at them both and said “you both know he is safe, but everyone is seeing my hand up in the air, so you are out!.”

The reason that the BSA called the Fieldmaster the Huntsman may have been due to ignorance of Victorinox models.Many people have made that same mistake because they focused on the main tools and either ignored or didn't notice the back layer tools.Simply because the Boy Scouts mis-named a Vic doesn't actually change the name given to the knife by the manufacturer.

In other words,it's simply a mistake by the Boy Scouts.

To this day the Boy Scouts still mistakenly refer to that model as the Huntsman.

On their website the Boy Scouts description of their knife is as follows:
The Swiss Army Huntsman Knife features a medium (2 1/4") and small blade (1 1/4"), a corkscrew, a bottle opener with the screwdriver tip and a wire stripper, a can opener with a screwdriver tip, scissors, a reamer with a sewing eye, a wood saw, a hook, tweezers, a toothpick, and a lanyard ring. The Boy Scouts logo is printed on the outer casing.Length (closed): 3 1/2"

But their picture is as follows:

https://www.scoutshop.org/swiss-army-huntsman-with-universal-emblem-multi-tool-pocket-knife-2-14-blade-618437.html

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #10 on: October 25, 2018, 08:32:26 PM
The reason that the BSA called the Fieldmaster the Huntsman may have been due to ignorance of Victorinox models.Many people have made that same mistake because they focused on the main tools and either ignored or didn't notice the back layer tools.Simply because the Boy Scouts mis-named a Vic doesn't actually change the name given to the knife by the manufacturer.

I don't think so.  Victorinox used to sell the BSA Fieldmaster as the Huntsman, and the BSA Explorer as a Yeoman, on their own US website.  I'm pretty sure Victorinox would have corrected that if it were simply the BSA's misunderstanding.  I believe both of those models had Victorinox model numbers that were different from the Fieldmaster and Explorer as well, though that may have been just to differentiate the scales.

I commented about this in reply #1 of this thread.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 08:40:32 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 25, 2018, 08:40:09 PM

I don't think so.  Victorinox used to sell the BSA Fieldmaster as the Huntsman, and the BSA Explorer as a Yeoman, on their own US website.  I'm pretty sure Victorinox would have corrected that if it were simply the BSA's misunderstanding.  I believe both of those models had Victorinox model numbers that were different from the Fieldmaster and Explorer as well.

Then how do you explain the mistake in the Boy Scout's description of the Huntsman but the picture of a Fieldmaster.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #12 on: October 25, 2018, 08:41:27 PM

I don't think so.  Victorinox used to sell the BSA Fieldmaster as the Huntsman, and the BSA Explorer as a Yeoman, on their own US website.  I'm pretty sure Victorinox would have corrected that if it were simply the BSA's misunderstanding.  I believe both of those models had Victorinox model numbers that were different from the Fieldmaster and Explorer as well.

Then how do you explain the mistake in the Boy Scout's description of the Huntsman but the picture of a Fieldmaster.

The Boy Scout Huntsman has always had the same tools as the Fieldmaster.  I don't see how that proves it was the BSA's mistake.  Don't you think Victorinox would have used the correct names on their own website if it were the BSA's mistake?

I see your point about the descriptions, but the same wasn't true when they used to (still?) sell the Explorer as the Yeoman.  In that case, it is probable that the BSA used to sell the Yeoman and Victorinox allowed them to sell the next closest thing to the Yeoman after it was retired and leave the name.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 08:51:24 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: October 25, 2018, 08:45:25 PM
I read your first reply but I didn't understand it.

So the Boy Scout website describes a Huntsman with the cork screw but displays a Field Master and that's not a mistake.

The Swiss Army Huntsman Knife features a medium (2 1/4") and small blade (1 1/4"), a corkscrew, a bottle opener with the screwdriver tip and a wire stripper, a can opener with a screwdriver tip, scissors, a reamer with a sewing eye, a wood saw, a hook, tweezers, a toothpick, and a lanyard ring. The Boy Scouts logo is printed on the outer casing.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #14 on: October 25, 2018, 08:47:44 PM
I never said the description on the BSA site wasn't a mistake.

I only said that the same names were used on the Victorinox website as well, so I can't say that it's solely the BSA to blame for the error in the names of the models.
- Terry

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: October 25, 2018, 08:48:58 PM
I never said the description on the BSA site wasn't a mistake.

I only said that the same names were used on the Victorinox website as well, so I can't say that it's solely the BSA to blame for the error in the names of the models.

OK now I got it.

Thanks.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #16 on: October 25, 2018, 08:57:45 PM
The name switcharoo made for a real issue when the Yeoman was discontinued by Victorinox.  Collectors were trying to buy the remaining stock of the Yeoman, and vendors would tell them they were in stock, so they placed orders.  Then, when the package arrived it contained a BSA Yeoman, which was really an Explorer, not the discontinued knife.
- Terry

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: October 25, 2018, 11:19:41 PM
Variations

In other words,it's simply a mistake by the Boy Scouts.

To this day the Boy Scouts still mistakenly refer to that model as the Huntsman.

On their website the Boy Scouts description of their knife is as follows:
The Swiss Army Huntsman Knife features a medium (2 1/4") and small blade (1 1/4"), a corkscrew, a bottle opener with the screwdriver tip and a wire stripper, a can opener with a screwdriver tip, scissors, a reamer with a sewing eye, a wood saw, a hook, tweezers, a toothpick, and a lanyard ring. The Boy Scouts logo is printed on the outer casing.Length (closed): 3 1/2"

But their picture is as follows:
(Image removed from quote.)

https://www.scoutshop.org/swiss-army-huntsman-with-universal-emblem-multi-tool-pocket-knife-2-14-blade-618437.html
:rofl: now that is funny!
When I was a scout, I think the pocket knife I had wasn’t even a Vic...I’m thinking it was some type of horn scale with the BSA logo in metal. That was like 50 years ago. Now I do feel old... :rofl:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: October 25, 2018, 11:30:17 PM
My thinking is the BSA asked Vic to replace the corkscrew with the Phillips as it had the can slot and that would be a more useful tool. When ordered in the amount BSA wanted it was a no brainer and Vic did it. I know there was no wine bottles at the camps and Jamborees I went to. Just a thought. At lest is sounds good  :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%