Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Warranty--what to expect?

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Warranty--what to expect?
on: October 23, 2018, 02:54:20 AM
Some time ago, I purchased an old Pioneer from a member here, with plans to mod it, which I never did. The awl was broken and the blade tip bent.  I marked the form with the biggest problem, the busted awl.  Tonight, I filled out the warranty form and will send it off to Vic in the morning.

So, what to expect? I did forget to mark it as "sentimental", was that a mistake?

ch Offline Syem

• No Life Club
Re: Warranty--what to expect?
Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 10:15:29 AM
I always specify exactly what i want done on a knife...
-Replace awl
-Restore blade or restore if same year stamp
-replace scales if identical
-please return all old parts

I've never seen them unbend a blade. They'll usually reshape it and polish it.

In your case they may just replace the awl and return the knife since it's the only thing you said...
I've seen the vic clerks write "full revision" many times. Basically leaving the guys to put it back into the best shape possible. If you check the "quote" checkbox at the bottom they'll contact you if there's a major change (different blade tang-stamp, different alox scales etc...). I've had a few bad surprises so I prefer to list exactly what i want (and I still get bad surprises sometimes).

If you have a reference number you may be able to contact them to specify more work to be done but I don't know if you'd have any success... It's worth a try though.

Sometimes they can get a bit overzealous so it's good to also mention if there's stuff they should absolutely not do.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 10:17:45 AM by Syem »

fi Offline Gath

Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 11:10:55 AM
The surest solution is of course to revise the form, make a written explanation if the form options don't suit you. As is it's not clearly into the collective realm with age they'll probably replace the awl and reshape the blade, perhaps even replace it if it's significantly damaged, since the knife has to be opened anyway.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 01:49:41 PM
Thanks guys. I revised the printed form by handwriting exactly what needed to be done and the problems both tools (I also decided to send in a SwissTool with a few problems since a flat rate box is the same cost as an insured bubble mailer).

fi Offline Gath

Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 02:09:12 PM
Well, that's sorted out, know begins the long waiting game.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 05:05:04 PM
Hope it all goes well and quickly.  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $142.99