Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Drilling into Vic Scissors (Hardened Steel)

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Drilling into Vic Scissors (Hardened Steel)
on: October 26, 2018, 12:09:00 AM
Putting this out there for other users, specifically anyone enlarging the pivot hole in Vic Scissors (does someone know what size these are?) To put on a Wave or Charge. I believe the new hole is 7/32"

DO NOT go out and buy a cheap drill bit, it will end in anger. I purchased 2 nicer bits, a Bosch Cobalt bit and a Milwaukee Cement/Masonry Bit.

Either one would probably work, but after an hour of messing with it my attention span got the best of me.

I had also tried grinding stones in the Dremel, they worked better but I went through 2 of them in 10 minutes.

GET A CARBIDE BIT! I bought one for the Dremel for $8

Rounded out the new hole in about 2 minutes. It isn't perfectly round but I would prefer the scissors be a little looser, they pivot better and any play is taken out against the Leatherman frame.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Drilling into Vic Scissors (Hardened Steel)
Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 02:24:41 AM
Dremels are a bit too fast for drilling that size hole in hardened stainless. For a 5.5mm hole, I'd probably be aiming under 1500RPM even with carbide bits. I think Dremels are about 5000+RPM aren't they?

Plenty of oil at the cutting action, and keep the feed on. If you let it dwell, it will work harden.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 02:51:15 AM
Thanks for the tips! I remember obi even made a sewing eye on one of the scissor blade. That's crazy just by thinking about it....  :think:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 03:02:07 AM
Sidetrack a little, the scissors on wenger looks to be better in the sense that they have beefier springs. Never owned one so thats just my impression. I am just curious that I have not seen a wenger scissor made it's way into a wave.

Offline Andrew Rueger

Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 03:48:11 AM
Sidetrack a little, the scissors on wenger looks to be better in the sense that they have beefier springs. Never owned one so thats just my impression. I am just curious that I have not seen a wenger scissor made it's way into a wave.
Is there a backspring in the leatherman to apply pressure to the arm on a Wenger scissor? If not I don’t think this would work because the Wenger scissors get their spring action from the backspring of a SAK, unlike Vic scissors that have a leaf spring.

Never modified a leatherman but I have added several sets of Wenger scissors to Victorinox knives.

Offline Andrew Rueger

Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 03:48:59 AM

Is there a backspring in the leatherman to apply pressure to the arm on a Wenger scissor? If not I don’t think this would work because the Wenger scissors get their spring action from the backspring of a SAK, unlike Vic scissors that have a leaf spring.

Never modified a leatherman but I have added several sets of Wenger scissors to Victorinox knives.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 04:13:58 AM

That clears up the mystery. Never owned or handled one.. Didn't think that it requires a back spring...  :facepalm:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 05:09:33 AM
Carbide coated glass-drilling bits work great on most hardened steels.

I drilled out a hole on my Buck 110 blade in about 10 seconds using a harbor freight glass drilling bit on my press and P-Blaster for cutting fluid.
Perfect holes done quickly. :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Simyo

Reply #8 on: October 26, 2018, 06:12:18 AM
I use the dremel bit in a dremel drill press mill thing they sell and I usually hold the tool relatively close so I can monitor the temperature with my fingers and remove and let it cool down and then repeat, and yes plenty of cutting oil.  I have been pondering getting a voltage regulator so I can adjust slow down the dremel, but what I’ve noticed is that bit works better at higher speeds than slower, again you need to be cognizant of the temperature.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%