Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Build Report: Baby Climber + Cadet + Can Opener Mod = Alox Alumnus Technician!

Myron · 11 · 1176

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
I ran into this nifty little 84 mm Climber the other day.  I really liked the inlaid logo, but the knife had broken liners and no snap.  If you'd like a little background on this knife, I posted about it here: 

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,79382.0.html

So I decided to use it for mod fodder, cannibalizing the scissors and building another Super Cadet, but this time with a twist.  Since I never use a can opener these days, I decided I wanted my next Super Cadet to have a screwdriver small enough to turn the screws in a typical pair of eye glasses, using the Technician screwdriver in my Pioneer Technician as inspiration. After thinking about it a very little bit, I decided I could swap the Baby Climber's small blade for a nail file, add a Technician-style small screwdriver, and build an Alumnus Technician. 

Here is the Technician screwdriver implement that inspired me. 

Since there is no 84 mm Technician screwdriver implement, the first thing to do was to take a can opener from a previous project to a belt sander and turn it into an 84 mm Technician-style screwdriver. 

Here is the Small Climber I started with as the donor knife:

And of course the 84 mm scissors are worth their weight in gold.  Well, ok, probably not, but they're valuable and hard to come by:

I had a newish red Cadet that I decided to use as the electron receptor for my mod.  I wanted to use the thick-shank knife blade from the Small Climber, but that didn't end up working out, so I've saved it for another project.  This picture shows the red-scaled Baby Climber next to a modern Cadet.  I love the beefy shank on the Baby Climber's knife blade. 

When the Small Climber came apart, the damage to the liners became even more apparent.  The crack in the corkscrew liner was almost all the way through.  No wonder the poor thing had no snap. 

When I put the center bit to the corkscrew pin, it cracked all the way through:

After disassembly of both knives, I began the build of the Alumnus Technician:

Some of the springs from the donor Baby Climber had some surface rust, so I cleaned them up with some scrungey pad thing.

Before:

After:

It takes only a few minutes to assemble the rest of the Alumnus Technician:

And this time around I had a new tool to help me with the pin peening process.  I put a pin turner in my drill press and put a nice finished pin head on the pins. 

The final Alumnus Technician turned out quite nice and I am very pleased with it.  Makes a great companion piece to my Super Cadet. 

us Offline Simyo

That came out really nice, I was trying to figure out how to do a similar thing with a combotool so that I could use that similar to the engineer/automobile models.  Ultimately, I moved passed it keeping the combotool but I like the usage of the can opener as a technician screwdriver.

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
That came out really nice, I was trying to figure out how to do a similar thing with a combotool so that I could use that similar to the engineer/automobile models.  Ultimately, I moved passed it keeping the combotool but I like the usage of the can opener as a technician screwdriver.

Thanks Simyo.  Although I used the can opener tool all the time as a younger man, I just don't use it at all any more, and if I were to need one, I'd use a bigger one (like on a Pioneer, etc).  So having a Technician-style screwdriver made sense for me for my EDC needs today. 

These Super Cadets are so fun and easy to build, and they make a fantastic pocket carry suitable for every day.  You just need the scissors, which as we all know are hard to come by....

Thanks again,

Myron

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Very nice mod!  :like:
I especially like the peening. :dd:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Awlsome work!

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Nice work !   :salute:

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Thanks guys!   I’m a lightweight compared to the semipro modders here, but it’s so much fun.

Myron

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
That came out nice Myron :tu:
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline Joe58

Very nicely done. I enjoyed seeing your process. I’m always curious to see these projects from start to finish.

I can see where that’d be a quite handy piece. :hatsoff:
🇨🇭

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Hey thanks you guys!  Building Super Cadets (or Cadet X’s as I also call them) is my favorite thing to do. 

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Hey thanks you guys!  Building Super Cadets (or Cadet X’s as I also call them) is my favorite thing to do.

Maybe that's part of the reason they turn out so good! Well done!

:cheers: :tu: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD