Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Ti Pocket Wrench

SteveC · 54 · 2791

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: New Ti Pocket Wrench
Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 03:41:08 PM
Looks neat :like: I will watch video when at home :tu: :like:

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 04:32:06 PM
I was looking at the Kickstarter page and wondering why they think that's a deep carry clip when it clearly isn't. Way to understand the business, there. And what the smurf kind of name is Ti EDC Wrench? These crowdfunding campaigns are getting lazier all the time. I'm waiting for one of them to just be named "Metal Tool."

no Online Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 11:03:49 PM
I like the design itself.

Functionally though it seems too short for the larger sizes it can grip. Without the length to provide torque it will be very difficult to loosen a properly fastened nut. Or worse, very difficult to properly fasten a nut using that one. For some applications it might be important or critical that nuts stay fastened after fastening so that is a worry.

The old design they refer to is still in production and available. Those ones have the advantage of the proper length to provide the required torque for the sizes it can grip. The designed length was not chosen randomly - they didn't add more length just to increase costs and weight...

Still, that is a cutie.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 11:04:53 PM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #4 on: October 27, 2018, 04:01:10 PM
I like this style of adjustable wrench.

But... I think I want it in steel. Most of the nuts I'd apply it to are steel, and while Ti is the sexy metal and utterly blingtastic, it's not harder than steel. And for the not-steel nuts, it's too low mass to make an effective bludgon. :P

I also disagree with the need and "depth" of the clip, and that this is a "full sized" grip.

Now... If they made it in steel. And maybe added a 1/4" socket stud on the base so I could use it with sockets and use extensions to make a full sized grip...
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #5 on: October 27, 2018, 04:04:45 PM
And as soon as I posted, I remembered what this thing reminds me of.

The True Utility Hand Span!
https://www.amazon.com/True-Utility-Hand-Span-Multi-Tool/dp/B009QXFBHY
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 10:49:53 PM
Ordered one... now we wait :ahhh
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #7 on: November 10, 2018, 03:16:37 AM

But... I think I want it in steel. Most of the nuts I'd apply it to are steel, and while Ti is the sexy metal and utterly blingtastic, it's not harder than steel. And for the not-steel nuts, it's too low mass to make an effective bludgon. :P

I also disagree with the need and "depth" of the clip, and that this is a "full sized" grip.

Now... If they made it in steel. And maybe added a 1/4" socket stud on the base so I could use it with sockets and use extensions to make a full sized grip...

:iagree:

Titanium isn't the right material for a high torque list, IMO. Should be steel. But then, why not just carry a small (4") adjustable wrench  :dunno:
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 03:20:10 AM by gustophersmob »
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #8 on: November 10, 2018, 01:00:38 PM
Because then they wouldn't make any money.  :P

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: November 10, 2018, 06:31:00 PM

Titanium isn't the right material for a high torque list, IMO. Should be steel. But then, why not just carry a small (4") adjustable wrench  :dunno:
its too small for "high torque", its also too expensive for rough use. Considering small Ti-prybars I would say it should be able withstand what you give it as long as you are not going to use additional lever.
Its both pocket-able, small, light and looks good, the price is probably the major downside.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: November 10, 2018, 06:39:01 PM

Def
Funny part is that sometimes stuff sells better when it is a bit more expensive. Often you sell cheap or you sell expensive and there is nothing in-between. The EDC crowd is more than willing to pay a bit extra, after all our gear is also our jewelry.
People who wear a Breitling watch instead of a cheap Casio
Fällkniven istead of Mora
Charge instead of the Wave
There might be little to no difference to other offerings except for luxury/style/design. And there are plenty of people willing to pay for that.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: December 21, 2018, 10:08:03 AM

Def
Funny part is that sometimes stuff sells better when it is a bit more expensive. Often you sell cheap or you sell expensive and there is nothing in-between. The EDC crowd is more than willing to pay a bit extra, after all our gear is also our jewelry.
There might be little to no difference to other offerings except for luxury/style/design. And there are plenty of people willing to pay for that.
Including me... my pre-ordered wrench just shipped :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: December 21, 2018, 12:16:10 PM
 :o

:like:

:popcorn:

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #13 on: December 21, 2018, 12:25:50 PM

Been trying to find an alloy version so it is not as heavy to carry yet still strong. Everything now seems to be cast metal and is far too heavy to carry. Remember, not everyone weighs the same, and some us prefer lighter loads.

As for the design, meh. Still rather have something that I submitted to Leatherman ages ago...
hand_wrench_ext.jpg
* hand_wrench_ext.jpg (Filesize: 11.82 KB)
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: December 21, 2018, 12:54:14 PM

Been trying to find an alloy version so it is not as heavy to carry yet still strong. Everything now seems to be cast metal and is far too heavy to carry. Remember, not everyone weighs the same, and some us prefer lighter loads.

As for the design, meh. Still rather have something that I submitted to Leatherman ages ago...
Brooks has one that is small and neat
brooks_01.jpg
* brooks_01.jpg (Filesize: 103.46 KB)

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #15 on: December 21, 2018, 02:14:57 PM

Def

:worthless:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: December 21, 2018, 06:59:15 PM

Def

As requested
wrench.jpg
* wrench.jpg (Filesize: 119.9 KB)

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: December 21, 2018, 07:04:34 PM

Def

As requested

I was thinking about the wrench when it arrived, but it's good to be kept in the loop...

:cheers: :tu:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: December 21, 2018, 08:23:33 PM

Brooks has one that is small and neat

Now that I'm back riding a bike I don't think I can resist tools like that even if I wont use them much.

After the coffee I'm drinking now I'll be putting a new chain on the kids bike with a gerber cool tool.   :angel:

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: December 22, 2018, 04:59:25 AM
I have seen a design like this being sold at Home Depot a few months ago..  :think:
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: January 11, 2019, 10:13:36 PM
Finally arrived today... shiny :D :mail:
tiwrench_01.jpg
* tiwrench_01.jpg (Filesize: 103.64 KB)
tiwrench_02.jpg
* tiwrench_02.jpg (Filesize: 135.58 KB)
tiwrench_03.jpg
* tiwrench_03.jpg (Filesize: 109.03 KB)

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: January 11, 2019, 10:28:10 PM
That looks sweet !  congrats  :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: January 12, 2019, 04:07:24 PM
That looks so :o and 8) congrats on that one Eth :like: let us know how well it works  :cheers: :tu:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: January 14, 2019, 12:49:33 PM

That is cool Etherealicer ! :like: :tu: :tu:

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: January 14, 2019, 01:04:07 PM
Sexy tool! I'm drooling here  :drool: :drool:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: January 16, 2019, 06:57:01 PM

Looks great! It has a sort of olive drabish look to it...

:cheers: :tu:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: January 16, 2019, 08:16:02 PM
Ti Wrench VERSUS Lux Tools 100mm wrench.

Just a comparison of the Ti Wrench with a garden variety adjustable wrench.

TiWrench     Lux Tools
Weight     50g (without Clip/Lanyard)     40g
Max. Opening     19mm     15mm
Price     Bloody expensive     Cheap
Style     Oh yeah     Not really

So, there is a slight advantage with how wide open the jaws for the Ti wrench. A droptest also showed that the Ti wrench holds a bit better to a nut than the regular adjustable wrench (the regular wrench looses the nut at about 10cm, where as the Ti wrench does 20cm) and does need slightly less room to operate.
Is it worth the price though? Probably not, unless you are really about style and like EDC jewlery.
tiwrench_11.jpg
* tiwrench_11.jpg (Filesize: 162.23 KB)
tiwrench_12.jpg
* tiwrench_12.jpg (Filesize: 116.25 KB)
tiwrench_13.jpg
* tiwrench_13.jpg (Filesize: 140.75 KB)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 08:17:03 PM by Etherealicer »

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: January 17, 2019, 11:53:54 PM
Am I reading this right, they want 120 dollars for this thing? ...or am I stoned or drunk ...or maybe both?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kind regards,

MMR

-------------------------------------------------
"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
- Andrew Ryan

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: January 18, 2019, 11:30:08 AM
Am I reading this right, they want 120 dollars for this thing? ...or am I stoned or drunk ...or maybe both?

What do you expect... if you look at pry-bars, they easily want $50 for a small slab of Ti, this is actually quite nicely machined, so in comparison to Ti-Prybars this is a steal...
That said, it is eye-candy and EDC-Jewelry

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: January 18, 2019, 11:56:03 AM

What do you expect... if you look at pry-bars, they easily want $50 for a small slab of Ti, this is actually quite nicely machined, so in comparison to Ti-Prybars this is a steal...
That said, it is eye-candy and EDC-Jewelry

Do you think they are aware that their 50-60 dollar wrench is priced at 120 dollars? ...or should we tell them?  :dunno:

« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 11:57:40 AM by MMR »
Kind regards,

MMR

"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
- Andrew Ryan

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!