Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Ti Pocket Wrench

SteveC · 54 · 2645

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Re: New Ti Pocket Wrench
Reply #30 on: January 18, 2019, 12:03:02 PM
I have crafted a very well and professionally written draft for their customer services department, do you think this draft would be of satisfactory to them and convince them to reconsider their price valuation of their current product portfolio?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 12:04:42 PM by MMR »
Kind regards,

MMR

-------------------------------------------------
"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
- Andrew Ryan

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #31 on: January 18, 2019, 01:13:03 PM
I have crafted a very well and professionally written draft for their customer services department, do you think this draft would be of satisfactory to them and convince them to reconsider their price valuation of their current product portfolio?

They'd be fools not to.

:cheers: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #32 on: January 18, 2019, 03:44:01 PM
Am I reading this right, they want 120 dollars for this thing? ...or am I stoned or drunk ...or maybe both?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What do you expect... if you look at pry-bars, they easily want $50 for a small slab of Ti, this is actually quite nicely machined, so in comparison to Ti-Prybars this is a steal...
That said, it is eye-candy and EDC-Jewelry

Do you think they are aware that their 50-60 dollar wrench is priced at 120 dollars? ...or should we tell them?  :dunno:

Just to be clear, I did not say it  is a 50$ wrench, I said other, even simpler products made of Ti are at that price, so the $120 price is the logical consequence(I pre-ordered fortunately back then it was $99).
Anyway, don't like the price, don't buy it. I mean this holds true for almost everything, no? Why would anyone ever buy an iPhone? A OnePlus phone does the same at a fraction of the price.

I quote myself from a bit up
Funny part is that sometimes stuff sells better when it is a bit more expensive. Often you sell cheap or you sell expensive and there is nothing in-between. The EDC crowd is more than willing to pay a bit extra, after all our gear is also our jewelry.
People who wear a Breitling watch instead of a cheap Casio
Fällkniven istead of Mora
Charge instead of the Wave
There might be little to no difference to other offerings except for luxury/style/design. And there are plenty of people willing to pay for that.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: January 18, 2019, 05:09:28 PM
Am I reading this right, they want 120 dollars for this thing? ...or am I stoned or drunk ...or maybe both?

What do you expect... if you look at pry-bars, they easily want $50 for a small slab of Ti, this is actually quite nicely machined, so in comparison to Ti-Prybars this is a steal...

Do you think they are aware that their 50-60 dollar wrench is priced at 120 dollars? ...or should we tell them?  :dunno:

Just to be clear, I did not say it  is a 50$ wrench, I said other, even simpler products made of Ti are at that price, so the $120 price is the logical consequence(I pre-ordered fortunately back then it was $99).
Anyway, don't like the price, don't buy it. I mean this holds true for almost everything, no? Why would anyone ever buy an iPhone? A OnePlus phone does the same at a fraction of the price.

Funny part is that sometimes stuff sells better when it is a bit more expensive. Often you sell cheap or you sell expensive and there is nothing in-between. The EDC crowd is more than willing to pay a bit extra, after all our gear is also our jewelry.
There might be little to no difference to other offerings except for luxury/style/design. And there are plenty of people willing to pay for that.

Does that mean I should send them my well written and professionally formulated draft for them to reconsider their price evaluation of their current product portfolio?

Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #34 on: January 18, 2019, 08:15:16 PM

Does that mean I should send them my well written and professionally formulated draft for them to reconsider their price evaluation of their current product portfolio?

Not only is it not more work, but it seems also more promising to write every consumer, not to waste money on overpriced stuff... you can start with me :rofl:

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: January 18, 2019, 09:01:25 PM

Not only is it not more work, but it seems also more promising to write every consumer, not to waste money on overpriced stuff... you can start with me :rofl:

Message received and understood!

I will send them my well written and professionally formulated draft for them to reconsider their price evaluation of their current product portfolio!

Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: January 18, 2019, 09:17:38 PM

I will send them my well written and professionally formulated draft for them to reconsider their price evaluation of their current product portfolio!

Just curious... what would you tell someone who spends money on this ;)
ninja.jpg
* ninja.jpg (Filesize: 128.81 KB)

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: January 18, 2019, 09:24:37 PM

Oh you mean that guy from Denmark called MMR? ....yeah I don’t like that guy

Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #38 on: January 18, 2019, 09:31:53 PM

Oh you mean that guy from Denmark called MMR? ....yeah I don’t like that guy

Question... do Mall Ninjas in Denmark have horns and wear white?

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #39 on: October 02, 2019, 01:06:40 AM
  Still like the idea, though prefer my concept since only half the tool is in the way. However, I prefer an annoy that makes the tool strong, yet light. Titanium gives too much.

Probably the reason for not carrying a 4 inch crescent wrench is that it is not comfortable to carry and is heavy. There were times I wished there was a wrench on me that got down to 3/8, and even 1/4. Be out riding and someone having battery issues. Well, most any multitool can get the soft nut off, but ya don't want to tear the bugger up either. So would be good to have something light & strong enough for carry, like a Piranha one-piece tool.

Carry my PocketToolX Piranha every day, but the 3/8 is in too deep for battery terminals. Wonder if there is a more universal SAE/Metric one-piece wrench then that one can carry with a Piranha? If the notch for the wrench were able to accommodate both sizes with a gentle slope or something, would that work??

Still if the Leatherman Crunch was more firm and did not pop off its gripper, it could work as a crescent-like wrench, but the jaws need to be a tad longer or something. As it is, with a nut, if on too tight the Crunch will round off the corners as it slips off way too easily.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

Reply #40 on: October 02, 2019, 01:09:16 AM
  As for that $120 wrench, too many people are on the titanium kick. If was an alloy aluminum, and around $60, would of had one by now. In the 80's there were alloy wrenches to be found. Pricey, but I kick myself for not getting one as they are like non-existent now.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #41 on: October 02, 2019, 04:31:20 AM
  If only New Tech met with Old Tech and created something around 4 inches or into a real multitool (not crapola). Tempted to order one just to have one.  :D
  Put some fine gripper teeth in there, trim up the action, make it similar to a Leatherman Crunch...  :think:
FrankMossberg.jpg
* FrankMossberg.jpg (Filesize: 49.82 KB)
moss03.jpg
* moss03.jpg (Filesize: 39.57 KB)
moss04.jpg
* moss04.jpg (Filesize: 35.42 KB)
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #42 on: October 02, 2019, 04:39:28 AM
 :pok:  Somewhere, this was in these MTO forums, someone posted a photo with an adjustable spanner that I think was in a knife case, and quite a vintage tool. Wished I could find one of those myself.
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: October 02, 2019, 05:32:11 AM
Three words...Knipex Plier Wrench  :whistle:
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

gb Offline fullbreakfast

Reply #44 on: October 03, 2019, 09:09:59 AM
Three words...Knipex Plier Wrench  :whistle:
Great tool! I have the 150mm / 6” version and it’s awesome, though a bit too large and heavy for the pants pocket I think. They have a 125mm version though that can still get on a 23mm nut. Vastly more capable than the Ti wrench IMO and under half the price.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #45 on: October 03, 2019, 10:59:19 AM
Just so you guys can start saving...
The Everyday Screwdriver is up for pre-order :D and no, of course I have not ordered it... well maybe I have...
Cute little thing and $10 cheaper

Like this a lot... and unlike other EDC screwdrivers, this is not a fidget spinner.
everydayscrewdriver.jpg
* everydayscrewdriver.jpg (Filesize: 36.19 KB)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #46 on: October 03, 2019, 12:54:24 PM
I love a folding screwdriver :like: That is why I made my Charge knife :dd: Is that a bit holder or just a Phillips driver :think:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #47 on: October 03, 2019, 12:55:37 PM
Nevermind..... I clicked on the link and it is a bit holder :D :like:

gb Offline fullbreakfast

Reply #48 on: October 03, 2019, 02:35:02 PM
I carry this in my small portable toolkit:

Irega 4" adjustable spanner, good for nuts up to 15mm. It weights about 50g / a bit less than 2 ounces, is made from chrome vanadium steel and does its job well.  I paid about US$20 for it.

gb Offline fullbreakfast

Reply #49 on: October 03, 2019, 02:56:14 PM
Just so you guys can start saving...
The Everyday Screwdriver is up for pre-order :D and no, of course I have not ordered it... well maybe I have...
Cute little thing and $10 cheaper

Like this a lot... and unlike other EDC screwdrivers, this is not a fidget spinner.
Like the Ti pocket wrench I think this is pretty cool, but expensive for what it is.

The main drawback I see is that it only carries 3 bits, which to my mind isn't enough to cover the common fixing jobs that arise. Obviously you can carry extra bits but then that detracts from the whole pocketable, handy nature of the thing. 

A Cybertool S is a bit bigger and no doubt quite a lot heavier but I think still pocketable (21.5mm thick, 96g) and that gives you eight drivers - and blades, awl etc as well. Also cheaper. On the other hand, the Cybertool bits are proprietary so the Everyday Screwdriver ultimately gives you a lot more flexibility if you don't mind carrying extra bits separately.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #50 on: October 03, 2019, 04:28:36 PM
Like the Ti pocket wrench I think this is pretty cool, but expensive for what it is.

The main drawback I see is that it only carries 3 bits, which to my mind isn't enough to cover the common fixing jobs that arise. Obviously you can carry extra bits but then that detracts from the whole pocketable, handy nature of the thing. 

A Cybertool S is a bit bigger and no doubt quite a lot heavier but I think still pocketable (21.5mm thick, 96g) and that gives you eight drivers - and blades, awl etc as well. Also cheaper. On the other hand, the Cybertool bits are proprietary so the Everyday Screwdriver ultimately gives you a lot more flexibility if you don't mind carrying extra bits separately.
Yes..big fan of the CT, this would be great in combination with the CT for the larger screws PH2/TX25/TX40 often found in servers (not heavy duty but the other end to the spectrum, while the CT has the PCs covered).
If you want more bits, the Bit-Bar is pretty cool too.

All of these are very expensive and there are probably better products available (many bike tools that will do the job, although they often are fairly expensive too)
Ti Pocket Wrench - Any small spanner, if you want to go really small, flat and light then the Brooks 1909
Ti Everyday Screwdriver - CT or my favorite Red Cycling Products - Micro Pocket Tool
Ti Bit Bar - Vic L-wrench with bits, Topeak Ratchet Rocket

P.S.: I'm at a point where I have to admit, that I'm a collector of these small tools (including bike tools), more so than Multi-Tools I think.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #51 on: October 03, 2019, 05:40:01 PM
I carry this in my small portable toolkit:

Irega 4" adjustable spanner, good for nuts up to 15mm. It weights about 50g / a bit less than 2 ounces, is made from chrome vanadium steel and does its job well.  I paid about US$20 for it.
Thats not bad at all.  :like:

Reply #52 on: October 04, 2019, 02:48:22 PM
  Was hoping the the Wenger S557 would of had at least a 3/8 inch wrench on the very end, sadly it ended up being 8mm (5/16"). Thus ended that short crusade.  :facepalm:
¬ Outback in Idaho

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #53 on: June 09, 2020, 04:57:15 PM
It's a great idea, but it lacks one essential element, the length to allow for proper leverage to loosen truly tight bolts.  Like the mini pry-bar before it, the pocket wrench is on more tool I won't buy.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%