Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Two handed versions of Charge + Wave : Any chance of a revival?

de Offline Shuya

Hi Folks,

living in germany my government used to tighten knive laws from time to time. At the moment one handed knives are almost impossible to carry legaly  :facepalm:
I know of other countries around which have similar problems, or worse (no locking blades or so on).

Is there any chance that Leatherman will redo some of their lines with two handed blades opening from the outside? Charge, Wave, similar.
Non locking tools like PST and PST IIs...

I know about the STs and Rebars and stuff. Have them, but the outside tools are way more handy, plus you could get better steels on the Charges...

Anyone from Leatherman listening?

au Offline Valkie

Re: Two handed versions of Charge + Wave : Any chance of a revival?
Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 10:29:48 PM
Hi Folks,

living in germany my government used to tighten knive laws from time to time. At the moment one handed knives are almost impossible to carry legaly  :facepalm:
I know of other countries around which have similar problems, or worse (no locking blades or so on).

Is there any chance that Leatherman will redo some of their lines with two handed blades opening from the outside? Charge, Wave, similar.
Non locking tools like PST and PST IIs...

I know about the STs and Rebars and stuff. Have them, but the outside tools are way more handy, plus you could get better steels on the Charges...

Anyone from Leatherman listening?

I feel for ya buddy.

In Oztralia, our carry laws are unbelievably draconian.
We cannot carry anything.
And once a grubberment introduce a law, its virtually impossible to get them to back down, so we are stuck with it.

Leatherman are produced, from my experience, for the American market, where laws are somewhat more liberal.
I think the ensuing backlash of introducing a less, shall we say, accessible tool, wold be suicidal.
So in answer to your question, probably not.

But in time, with the world grubberment crackdown on everything perceived as a weapon,
we may eventually see rubber leatherman tools.

Its sad when, because of a tiny percentage of the population doing the wrong thing, that the remaining good people must suffer.
tools is what defines us as humans

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 05:00:18 AM
I'm wondering if you could cut a piece of steel(or plastic) to the shape of the blade opening and glue it in securely(and then smooth it out with drying silver paste to make it not look so bad) to make it similar to the Charges LM made for the European market at one time?
You could also disassemble the tool and overextend the liner lock to make it  non-locking. You could then, if ever need be, rebend the liner lock back and knock out the opening plug if you needed to sell it. :think:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 05:41:35 AM
I was thinking along the same lines of filling the space on the blades.  Maybe use JB Weld? Maybe something else to fill that void so it is a two hand opener  :dunno:

Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 11:14:57 AM
Mmmh... I have my doubts that German police officers would let themselves be convinced that a blade is non-OHO just by virtue of a blob of glue... after all you can reasonably easily remove even the strongest epoxy-based filler - all you need is a hammer and a nail or punch. That leaves welding (and repeating the heat treatment). Or, to remove the other factor in the equation, removing the locking function as GLBM suggested - this is probably easier. (Note for non-German residents: It's the combination of OHO and locking that is illegal (unless you have legitimate reasons - mountaineering, scouting, big game hunting spring to mind)).

« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 01:53:54 PM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline MTFool

Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 01:00:24 PM
This is a foolish question.    I  have a lm Rev in my collection.  And heard that that outside blade was designed for this purpose.  Does that pass  the Oho. ( but it still locks  :( )

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 01:52:28 PM
In this thread:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=52132.0

You can find some pics of a Charge that was made for the Danish market.
It was designed as a 2HO for the reason you mentioned.

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 29, 2018, 02:16:45 PM
Indeed. These models are no longer on the market for (a) reason(s). One might speculate that one reason is the finding of too high costs being associated with attempting to cater for all the various national legal idiosyncrasies...
In fact the Danish example is not valid anymore anyway after a relatively recent revision of the knife laws. OHO used to be completely forbidden but may now be sold, and carrying is allowed if valid reasons are given (I believe: events of a folkloristic nature, specific sporting/scouting, professional needs and such like), the final assessment being down to a judge if you're brought to court.
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24