Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wengerinox with tang stamped P.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Wengerinox with tang stamped P.
on: November 30, 2018, 11:24:42 PM
I was out today thrifting.  I enjoy the hunt for cool things and yes I also buy clothing from the thrift store.  I've scored such really nice things but I digress.  I found this Wenger and had to rescue it.  Could someone shed some light on it for me please?  Its not in the best shape blade wise  :(.  It looks like a classic case of grinder vs blade  :twak:.  Could I send it in to Victorinox for a refresh.  I'd love a newish blade on it.  They awlso buggered up the AWL. 

Thank you very much. 
IMG_6222.jpg
* IMG_6222.jpg (Filesize: 243.43 KB)
IMG_6223.jpg
* IMG_6223.jpg (Filesize: 233.31 KB)
IMG_6224.jpg
* IMG_6224.jpg (Filesize: 241.01 KB)
IMG_6225.jpg
* IMG_6225.jpg (Filesize: 186.11 KB)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 11:35:48 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Wengernox with tang stampeded P.
Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 11:25:46 PM
More. 
IMG_6226.jpg
* IMG_6226.jpg (Filesize: 288.6 KB)
IMG_6227.jpg
* IMG_6227.jpg (Filesize: 285.84 KB)
IMG_6228.jpg
* IMG_6228.jpg (Filesize: 159.97 KB)
IMG_6229.jpg
* IMG_6229.jpg (Filesize: 140.51 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 11:26:34 PM
More. 
IMG_6230.jpg
* IMG_6230.jpg (Filesize: 194.21 KB)
IMG_6232.jpg
* IMG_6232.jpg (Filesize: 250.31 KB)
IMG_6233.jpg
* IMG_6233.jpg (Filesize: 188.18 KB)
IMG_6234.jpg
* IMG_6234.jpg (Filesize: 243.93 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 11:27:11 PM
Thanks for looking.  I appreciate any and all information. 
IMG_6235.jpg
* IMG_6235.jpg (Filesize: 145.93 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline FolderBeholder

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Wengernox with tang stamped P.
Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 11:30:40 PM
WOW!  I'm looking very forward to the replies you will receive.  I think that is a very old one that was issued to a soldier, then the "P" was applied to the blade when the soldier wanted to keep the issued knife for personal use.  Don't change a thing just yet until you get ample feedback on what you have.  :salute:
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Wengernox with tang stamped P.
Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 11:37:30 PM
WOW!  I'm looking very forward to the replies you will receive.  I think that is a very old one that was issued to a soldier, then the "P" was applied to the blade when the soldier wanted to keep the issued knife for personal use.  Don't change a thing just yet until you get ample feedback on what you have.  :salute:

Thanks. 
I am happy to leave as is for sure.  The bolster on one side is fairly loose and I'd like to preserve the handles.  For now its survived without my help so I'm pretty happy with it as is. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline cody6268

Re: Wengerinox with tang stamped P.
Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 01:06:06 AM
Regardless of what condition they're in, coming across an older Soldier, especially the M1908 and M1951 is next to impossible. I thought when I got my 1942 Elsener, even with it's rough condition and short blade, I thiught I was getting a steal. And that was on Etsy from a guy who seems to just stick a fixed price on knives based on size.  And you found that one at a thrift shop--kitchen knives included, I've never found anything sharp at a thrift store. And the tools were all bargain bin department store POSs.   The best I've done is finding early Hot Wheels (or Redlines as they're often called) and English Matchboxes for less than a buck.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #7 on: December 01, 2018, 01:07:40 AM
It doesn't appear to be an issue knife to me, but rather one sold originally for private ownership.  There's no year on the tang, and I don't see an acceptance stamp anywhere on the scales.
- Terry

ch Offline Syem

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: December 01, 2018, 03:42:45 PM
The 1908 models issued to soldiers were not stainless steel so this Wengerinox is a civilian model.
The civilian equivalents of the army knives were accepted at soldier equipment checks (if you lost or broke your army-issued knife, or if you wanted to keep it new and have a stainless steel civilian user instead).
The officer or sub-officer doing the check probably ordered the knife to go through the P-stamping after such a check. I doubt the civilian knives would have been P-stamped at the end of the soldier's military service but either way is possible I guess.

As for restoration or replacement of the tools and/or blade, you have to know a few things :
- they most likely don't have a new Wengerinox blade left in stock. Same goes for the other tools. I'm not sure they can custom-make tools or not... (you can contact them and ask if they have new such awls and new identical blades in stock... I've sent a ton of knives to them and have had occasional great surprises)
- Replacing tools is a destructive process for these wood fiber scales. They can hand-custom-make new scales in the same material but: A) it will cost at least 50 CHF to do so (+ whatever else they charge for the rest of the work). B) You'll lose the "original" and oldie aspect of the knife therefore decreasing its value.

If you still decide do to it in order to have a fully functional user and you don't care about the historical value of it, make sure you ask them to send you back any piece they remove. It doesn't cost you anything and you get to keep the historical pieces (except the broken scales I guess)...

You can have the knife restored, cleaned, polished etc.. by them and that's what I would do.
This knife is in overall good shape considering its age except for the tortured awl and blade. The blade and awl will unfortunately keep their shapes but will be nice and shiny and the rest of the knife will have the best treatment possible.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 03:52:23 PM by Syem »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: December 01, 2018, 03:59:35 PM
Thank you very much for you reply.  All who have replied.  Its such a lovely knife even in its current condition that I have kinda already decided to leave as is.  I'll inspect and lightly clean but nothing more. 

Is there anything I should or could do to the handles?  Its survived this long without my help so in my mind nothing might be the best course of action :think:.   

Again thank you very much.   :salute:
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24