Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why do we collect saks? Share your experience

Gio · 73 · 2843

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Re: Why do we collect saks? Share your experience
Reply #60 on: November 16, 2018, 03:54:22 PM
No reason, no story...sorry.
I just buy because I like them.  :popcorn:

Pretty good reason to me!  :cheers: :like:

+2

It's pretty much the same with me. I discovered SAKs and then discovered different models and then discovered different models and then discovered MTo and then discovered different models... That's pretty much how it went down.

8) 8)

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #61 on: November 16, 2018, 04:59:32 PM

+2

It's pretty much the same with me. I discovered SAKs and then discovered different models and then discovered different models and then discovered MTo and then discovered different models... That's pretty much how it went down.

8) 8)
:rofl:   I know about finding different models...a nice side affect of reading this forum! :cheers:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #62 on: November 16, 2018, 05:03:59 PM

+2

8) 8)
:rofl:   I know about finding different models...a nice side affect of reading this forum! :cheers:

I bet everyone here, at some time, was like "hey, why don't they add the <blank> to the Victorinox <blank>?"

After 2 minutes, someone says "they did, it's called the Victorinox <blank>"

:facepalm:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #63 on: November 16, 2018, 10:53:42 PM
I like the object, I like its design.
Besides being beautiful and useful I also like the perception people have of the swiss army knife.
People don't see it as an aggressive tool and they're not scared of it if someone takes it out of the pocket.
I think this is one the reasons behind its success through the years.

:iagree:                                             :iagree:                                                          :iagree:                                                :iagree:
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #64 on: November 18, 2018, 06:49:58 PM

+2

8) 8)

I will say that because of learning about many different models and with the help of the SAKwiki, they've lost a little of their mystique along the way.

I used to find out about new models and was on a constant learning journey. Now, it's rare that something pops up that I haven't at least heard of before.

All that being said, there's also something nice as well about knowing the ins and outs of what most people probably consider to be a fairly ubiquitous object. :)
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #65 on: November 25, 2018, 11:37:26 PM
Just wait gustophersmob, you'll stumble across something that hopefully you'll have to post to JazzBass or one of our resident experts for info on.  Thats when its really exciting, at least for me.  The Sakwiki is a great resource for sure.  Its neat tho when I see something on the Sakwiki then see it in person  :woohoo:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #66 on: November 26, 2018, 01:08:19 AM
 :iagree: Amen!
It is always nice to learn something new.  :cheers:

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #67 on: November 26, 2018, 03:48:14 PM
I'm gonna use a modification of the same line I used in a speech I made on duct tape during a speech class. In my opinion, if you've got an SAK and a roll of duct tape, you can get yourself out of any bind.

It has fought in wars, has been to space, been used by Presidents, was the costar of two TV shows, had its own action figure (again based off that same TV show) and saved countless lives everywhere. They even broke into Mir with one!

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #68 on: November 26, 2018, 04:37:35 PM
I'm gonna use a modification of the same line I used in a speech I made on duct tape during a speech class. In my opinion, if you've got an SAK and a roll of duct tape, you can get yourself out of any bind.

It has fought in wars, has been to space, been used by Presidents, was the costar of two TV shows, had its own action figure (again based off that same TV show) and saved countless lives everywhere. They even broke into Mir with one!
That’s cool! B&E in space! :rofl:

us Offline Erikinox

Reply #69 on: December 01, 2018, 05:12:38 AM
The SAK bug caught me when I was a  kid and Macgyver came on the air. The following Christmas a very happy boy recieved a climber. I carried that knife for a while but lost it. A few years later I recieved a Tinker for my birthday, I was probably 12. That knife went everywhere with me. It was small enough to comfortably carry, but had just enough tools to get me out of many a jam. When I got my first vehicle, more than once I used that knife to repair my piece of junk car well enough to get it home to make permanent repairs. Years later, as a young adult I used my tinker at work everyday as a printing press operator. I found the t-handle screw driver perfect for adjusting the plate clamps on my press. I lost that tinker after years of carry. Knowing how useful my tinker was I bought a one handed trekker. I still have that knife, it has stood the test of time. That knife has seen me through 5 career changes. It's scales are worn smooth and shiny, but is still used often. About three years ago I decided the trekker was nice but wanted to try something else and bought an alox farmer. I carried the farmer for a time but missed my tweezers and toothpick. Missing those tools I bought two fieldmasters one for me and one for my son. My son lost his fieldmaster and was lost without it so I gave him mine. Of course, I had to get another SAK. This time I got another tinker. I love that knife. To date, I have only a Farmer, Trekker, and a Tinker. I plan to get either a deluxe tinker or a cybertool 29 soon. I plan to get a 58 mm keychain knife too. In short, I have been a SAK user most of my life. I find them so well made, so well thought out, and so useful that I cannot believe I haven't started collecting SAKs sooner.
Minnesota or bust!!!

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #70 on: December 01, 2018, 11:43:47 AM
Imho, having a collection of SAKS in a display cabinet trumps football cards, coins, stamps, or any other collectible.
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #71 on: December 02, 2018, 03:55:30 PM
The SAK bug caught me when I was a  kid and Macgyver came on the air. The following Christmas a very happy boy recieved a climber. I carried that knife for a while but lost it. A few years later I recieved a Tinker for my birthday, I was probably 12.

Welcome to the forum Erikinox!  :cheers:

Thanks for sharing your story! :like: :tu: :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #72 on: December 02, 2018, 04:44:19 PM
The SAK bug caught me when I was a  kid and Macgyver came on the air. The following Christmas a very happy boy recieved a climber. I carried that knife for a while but lost it. A few years later I recieved a Tinker for my birthday, I was probably 12.

Welcome to the forum Erikinox!  :cheers:

Thanks for sharing your story! :like: :tu: :tu:

+1 
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62