Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Firearms...the original multi tool?

us Offline GrandpaPatch

on: November 02, 2018, 04:02:28 AM
I understand that there is no way, any way a firearm could out date all the other things in existence that could possibly be labeled as a 'multi tool', yet firearms have been 'multi tools' since their conception. I'm not talking about cannons or any other device. I'm talking about hand held firearms. Going back we have the 'musket', 'black powder', 'lead and powder' devices going back into days of old. These long arms had bayonets attached to them, butt stocks for pounding, striking and beating on things and they also work well as clubs. Obviously, the days of ramming a lead ball, firing a flint primer and then using the long arm as a club for the rest of the battle are long gone, but most firearms are 'multi purpose' and may even have a 'multi tool' utility.

:ahhh  :facepalm: As an example of multi purpose; defensive, offensive, prevention, deterrent, style, show off, collectible, concealable, and there have been a few that are even in the 'adorable' category. As an example of multi tool; hammer, club, threaten, kill or just look good.  END OF ATTEMPTED HUMOR!

DO NOT USE A FIREARM IN ANY WAY OTHER THAN PROVIDED IN THE WEAPON MANUAL, PROPER and SAFE FIREARMS HANDLING, PROPER TRAINING and COMMON SENSE DESCRIBE.

PLEASE FOLLOW ALL LAWS PERTAINING TO WEAPONS AS YOUR CITY, COUNTY, STATE and FEDERAL GOVERNMENT REGULATE.

Anyways, seriously, some (I know I do) members may EDC a firearm. Is it something that would be considered here? Or is it something to be avoided like the plaque?
Cameras and watches have a place within the multi tool universe. I believe that firearms should have a place here as well.
The SAK Whittling Club |
Is it better to carry a 'paddle' or to be "up a creek" without one?

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Re: Firearms...the original multi tool?
Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 04:44:38 AM
Topics about firearms have the habit of degenerating into cesspool of vitriol.

There are plenty of firearms forums which prove just that point.

I'm not an anti by any stretch of the imagination, I miss my P226  :cry: I just don't think it would fit well on this forum.

Cheers and good health

Smashie 
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline GrandpaPatch

Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 04:55:58 AM
Thanks for the answer @Smashie 

I will agree that many firearms conversations, with adolescent members, degrade into a cesspool, but then again so do SAK vs CAK discussions!  >:D :climber:  >:D
The SAK Whittling Club |

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 06:41:35 AM
I tend to agree with the assertion that firearms serve/served many many purposes, and knowing that, were/are a type of 'multitool'.

They are less of a multitool these days, because of tool access, but I can picture a soldier in the 1800s needing a hammer and none were around (tools were expensive then) and using the butt end of the rifle to hammer tent stakes or whatnot. The materials in a black powder rifle would be invaluable as well.
And, like you said, it served as a stabbing and bludgeoning weapon once the firing materials were gone or the opposition was too close to reload. It is an interesting topic. Lots of creative uses for a firearm that isn't serving its' primary function. I am thankful we won't likely need to pound stakes with a rifle stock. But, theorizing about it should be interesting. :iagree:

I don't see why this should degrade into a cesspool? :think:
Unless it is something akin to a self-fulfilling prophecy type deal.  :dunno:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 09:34:21 AM
I don't think that topics about potentially contentious issues are guaranteed to descend into chaos if we all behave like grown ups.  There's already a long running thread about firearms that seems to be relatively well-behaved over here: https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,53984.0.html

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 11:18:51 AM
There used to be a subforum on hunting or guns ? here, a few years ago, but it was stopped as it was not very busy, then and the threads were moven into other subforums.

As pointed out, there are a few related threads on guns, air rifles, pistols etc.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline GrandpaPatch

Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 11:23:08 AM
Thanks for the link (info) to the firearms thread. I thought I had searched well enough before asking the question. Obviously not. Again, THANKS for the info.
The SAK Whittling Club |

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 11:31:00 AM
No worries.  We're not too hung up on having only one thread for stuff, but I figured it contained the kind of thing you'd be interested in. :salute:

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: November 02, 2018, 11:45:37 AM
My grandfather once told me that they didn't have cars and bikes, but they were exactly the same as young men pimping their horse carts.  :hatsoff:

For him a rifle was a tool, but I have no doubt he had pride in his weapons and a general appreciation for a well made firearm.

Most of us these days might go hunting occasionally, some might carry for self defense, but the vast majority don't need that tool regularly anymore.

I like that (FALSE) story that due to everybody being armed the Wild West was a civilized place

us Offline GrandpaPatch

Reply #9 on: November 02, 2018, 11:59:35 AM
I like that (FALSE) story that due to everybody being armed the Wild West was a civilized place

The 'Wild West' was not a civilized place, but the time frame, societal views and leniency towards 'offenses' were entirely different than what today's politically correct society tolerates. If you think about one trip, just one, to WalMart....how many offenses would you see that would have ended up with a youngster getting their butts whipped or someone shot for talking to another in such a rude or offensive fashion?
The SAK Whittling Club |

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #10 on: November 02, 2018, 12:28:29 PM
I don't see modern firearms as multitools, mostly because they really only do one thing, and that is accelerating a scrap of lead to supersonic speeds and ejecting them out one end.  That is a pretty singular function, although as you pointed out, that function can have multiple applications, from offense, to defense to putting food on the table.  Those don't seem like functions to me, even though they are widely varied.

I myself am an appreciator of things that go bang, and I am not against having firearms discussions here.  I enjoy firearms, I enjoy shooting them and I have a few myself, which are documented in other threads here.

The problem we see (thankfully very occasionally) is the RTKBA discussions as this is a very international forum, and people forget that there's a whole planet full of people with very different cultures and opinions regarding firearms, and their use, and occasionally people forget to respect that.

Personally, if there was a CCW available in Canada I would get it, although I likely wouldn't carry a firearm as part of my EDC, partially because there's really very little reason for it in Canada, and partially because I don't want that level of responsibility at all times.  I would have it so that I could decide when I wanted to have it, and when I needed it, and maybe keep one locked in the car, but not on my person.

I recall a story from a friend of mine in Michigan who has a CCW that really drives the responsibility issue home, and it wasn't even him that was the problem.  He was in a mall and some kids were chasing each other about in a store.  Invariably one tripped and fell, and, as people do, he reached out to try and grab something to keep him from falling.  Unfortunately what he grabbed was the handle of my friend's pistol under his shirt.  Now, we can argue till the cows come home over whether it was his fault for letting the kids get that close, or the parent's fault for not minding their kids etc, but regardless of who is to blame for what, that could have been a very bad situation, where "fault" is very little comfort.  My friend immediately checked the securing of his weapon and made sure the kid was ok, as the kid had turned almost completely white when he realized what had happened.  This friend, BTW, is a Sheriff, and not just some gun toting lunatic who just liked to carry firearms in public, and this could have happened just as easily to a uniformed officer carrying openly.

Still, that's probably the biggest reason I wouldn't choose to EDC a pistol, at least not all the time.  When I felt it necessary or desirable I absolutely would though- I have been on a few jobs in my time where I am pretty sure I'd have been more comfortable with some instant backup.  There was this one evening where I was going out to the outskirts of an industrial park, right along a vast wooded area to cost some people a lot of money, time and effort.... and I was the only one going....  :ahhh

In Canada there are not many situations where one would require a firearm for personal defense, although one such [urlhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moncton_shooting]incident happened a few years ago in a city called Moncton[/url].  Some idiot walked up to a police cruiser parked on the street and killed two police officers as they sat there.  By the time he was caught the next day he had shot three more, killing a third and wounding two others.  The worst part of it was that the shooter was hiding in yards, and people were taking pictures of him and tweeting them.  If any one of those people had a firearm handy when they saw him, they could have either covered him from a bedroom window until police arrived, or, if necessary, put a much needed hole in him.

But thankfully those situations are rare, and that's why I don't feel like I need to carry a pistol everywhere, I think I would just like to make my own choice.  :D

Def
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 12:32:38 PM by Grant Lamontagne »
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #11 on: November 02, 2018, 12:31:22 PM
Are modern firearms sturdy enough to hammer stuff with?
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #12 on: November 02, 2018, 12:57:57 PM

The 'Wild West' was not a civilized place, but the time frame, societal views and leniency towards 'offenses' were entirely different than what today's politically correct society tolerates. If you think about one trip, just one, to WalMart....how many offenses would you see that would have ended up with a youngster getting their butts whipped or someone shot for talking to another in such a rude or offensive fashion?

It's not only the youngsters that deserve a butt whipping these days ...  ;)

Anyway, I can say that, if it was easier to own/carry a firearm over here I would probably own only half of my current multitool collection, and instead have a couple of firearms.

But I don't consider firearms as being multitools. Just as I don't consider my car to be a multitool, even though I can use it to transport people and goods, use it as a shelter or sleeping place, use it as an attack or defense weapon, and so on ...

As always, this is just my own humble opinion  ;).

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #13 on: November 02, 2018, 12:59:15 PM
Are modern firearms sturdy enough to hammer stuff with?
I guess it is a matter of which ones. :think:

I am not too keen to test this on my antique shotgun ot Bersa Thunder. :ahhh

I must agree that Wal-Mart can be likened to the Wild West, but minus the repercussions for nasty behavior. Particularly the Wal-Marts in more densely populated areas. And black-friday can be compared to a one-day gold-rush. :ahhh

Though, I bet you could have gotten a sales associate to open the Sporting Goods department showcases in the Wild-West(if they would have had Walmarts). :ahhh

I don't see modern firearms as multitools, mostly because they really only do one thing, and that is accelerating a scrap of lead to supersonic speeds and ejecting them out one end.  That is a pretty singular function, although as you pointed out, that function can have multiple applications, from offense, to defense to putting food on the table.  Those don't seem like functions to me, even though they are widely varied.

I myself am an appreciator of things that go bang, and I am not against having firearms discussions here.  I enjoy firearms, I enjoy shooting them and I have a few myself, which are documented in other threads here.

The problem we see (thankfully very occasionally) is the RTKBA discussions as this is a very international forum, and people forget that there's a whole planet full of people with very different cultures and opinions regarding firearms, and their use, and occasionally people forget to respect that.

Personally, if there was a CCW available in Canada I would get it, although I likely wouldn't carry a firearm as part of my EDC, partially because there's really very little reason for it in Canada, and partially because I don't want that level of responsibility at all times.  I would have it so that I could decide when I wanted to have it, and when I needed it, and maybe keep one locked in the car, but not on my person.

I recall a story from a friend of mine in Michigan who has a CCW that really drives the responsibility issue home, and it wasn't even him that was the problem.  He was in a mall and some kids were chasing each other about in a store.  Invariably one tripped and fell, and, as people do, he reached out to try and grab something to keep him from falling.  Unfortunately what he grabbed was the handle of my friend's pistol under his shirt.  Now, we can argue till the cows come home over whether it was his fault for letting the kids get that close, or the parent's fault for not minding their kids etc, but regardless of who is to blame for what, that could have been a very bad situation, where "fault" is very little comfort.  My friend immediately checked the securing of his weapon and made sure the kid was ok, as the kid had turned almost completely white when he realized what had happened.  This friend, BTW, is a Sheriff, and not just some gun toting lunatic who just liked to carry firearms in public, and this could have happened just as easily to a uniformed officer carrying openly.

Still, that's probably the biggest reason I wouldn't choose to EDC a pistol, at least not all the time.  When I felt it necessary or desirable I absolutely would though- I have been on a few jobs in my time where I am pretty sure I'd have been more comfortable with some instant backup.  There was this one evening where I was going out to the outskirts of an industrial park, right along a vast wooded area to cost some people a lot of money, time and effort.... and I was the only one going....  :ahhh

In Canada there are not many situations where one would require a firearm for personal defense, although one such [urlhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moncton_shooting]incident happened a few years ago in a city called Moncton[/url].  Some idiot walked up to a police cruiser parked on the street and killed two police officers as they sat there.  By the time he was caught the next day he had shot three more, killing a third and wounding two others.  The worst part of it was that the shooter was hiding in yards, and people were taking pictures of him and tweeting them.  If any one of those people had a firearm handy when they saw him, they could have either covered him from a bedroom window until police arrived, or, if necessary, put a much needed hole in him.

But thankfully those situations are rare, and that's why I don't feel like I need to carry a pistol everywhere, I think I would just like to make my own choice.  :D

Def

Beautifully said, Def!  :)

It does seem that firearms are more like multi-funtion devices more than multitools, since they aren't built with the intention of being used as tools. Much like cars, watches and flashlights I guess. :)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 01:00:31 PM by gerleatherberman »
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: November 02, 2018, 03:33:30 PM
I am not seeing a firearm as a multi tool in the way we generally use the term  :think:.  Using a fire arm as a hammer seem irresponsible even in days past.  I am not knowledgable about guns so excuse my ignorance.   Were guns made to use the stock to hammer?  Improvised MT  :dunno:

A gun is made and designed to shoot.  To my thinking thats all it really does, again  :dunno:   
Esse Quam Videri

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: November 02, 2018, 04:10:50 PM
 :iagree:

All hail the hook!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: November 02, 2018, 04:16:10 PM
It’s like prying with a blade!
Only a few blades are designed for prying.

All hail the hook!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: November 02, 2018, 04:18:37 PM
I don't now, Homer managed to use his to turn out lights, turn off the TV and open bottles.  That sounds pretty multi-functional to me.

:D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: November 02, 2018, 04:21:00 PM
It’s like prying with a blade!
Only a few blades are designed for prying.

And while it can be done and is, a blade that is successfully used to pry would to my thinking not be counted as a MT. 

I've used my Swisstool and Wave as a hammer  :oops: but in no way do I count hammer a feature. 

If attaching a bayonet to a rifle makes a rifle a MT then a grenade launcher added  :whistle:.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: November 02, 2018, 04:21:31 PM
I don't now, Homer managed to use his to turn out lights, turn off the TV and open bottles.  That sounds pretty multi-functional to me.

Def

Esse Quam Videri

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: November 02, 2018, 04:21:52 PM

Def
But could be use it to turn on the lights, tv and close bottles? :D

All hail the hook!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: November 02, 2018, 04:23:11 PM

Def
But could be use it to turn on the lights, tv and close bottles? :D

Yes, by pointing it  (fire arm ) at whoever was in the room and asking nicely  :whistle:
Esse Quam Videri

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #22 on: November 02, 2018, 06:15:26 PM
I have to admit I´m guilty of a little joking and trolling about firearms here on MTo. I found it´s best not to be too provocative.

I don´t like handguns, but appreciate a good hunting rifle. Unfortunately, getting the licenses to carry one and go hunting with it would cost me more than my entire knife collection. And I would have to buy a rifle too of course. I don´t think it´s going to happen.

I agree with Def on the multitool thing. I like the story about guns as multitools, but I guess for most people today a gun is for firing bullets.

PS The ancient Romans had multitools so a firearm can´t be the original. There are pics somewhere on MTo.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 06:18:50 PM by Ron Who »

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: November 02, 2018, 06:33:07 PM
Of course they are multi-tools. They shoot and are beautiful. That is enough functions for me.

A .357 revolver is one of the most versatile firearms that there are. It can shoot anything from bear loads to snake shot without jamming. You can load it with bunny farts or dragons breath. It can be used for hunting, survival, self defense, etc. the long double action trigger pull is extremely safe, but you can pull the hammer back for a trigger that is light enough to make shooting a breeze. I could go on for quite a while about revolvers, about guns in general actually.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: November 02, 2018, 07:01:37 PM

Def
Any quality holster will prevent the trigger from being pulled in the situation that you described. If you are worried about the gun falling out, they make active retention holsters that need a thumb snap or button push to unholster. It is indeed a huge responsibility though and not for everyone. I choose to carry where legal, but respect the decision of those who choose otherwise.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 07:06:49 PM by gdoolittle »

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #25 on: November 02, 2018, 07:19:57 PM
Not going to comment much except to say I find myself carrying more & more as our country seems to be going headlong into a state of anarchy ..............I haz a sad.......... :dunno:
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: November 02, 2018, 07:21:05 PM
Not going to comment much except to say I find myself carrying more & more as our country seems to be going headlong into a state of anarchy ..............I haz a sad.......... :dunno:
What is your carry piece? :tu:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: November 02, 2018, 07:31:01 PM
I am well aware of the various holsters and retention methods, and am trained in firearm retention.  It was part of my intensive security and close quarters combat training I got when I worked for a nuclear and medical research and development company back in the late 90's.  The Uncle Mike's triple retention holster was the cream of the crop back then, and I am sure that the designs have only gotten better since then.  The cool thing was, we trained full contact (blue guns of course) with people that could identify the holster and knew how to draw the firearm from it, so we learned never to rely on built in retention.

Man those days were a lot of fun... and they hurt like hell, but it was worth it!  That was also where I started working with dogs and a lot of other fun toys.

One incident I was involved in had me riding on the outside of a transport truck as it was heading towards the highway.  The driver had threatened to run me over, and had attacked me with a tire iron long before the police could arrive.  The funny thing is, one might immediately think about going straight to a firearm, but it would have been the last thing on my mind in that situation.  Mind you, I am a lot older now, and not in nearly the shape I was in then, so maybe I might consider it nowadays instead of going toe to toe with a guy much larger than me, who was swinging a steel pipe over his head!   :ahhh

I remember around that time spending a lot of time working with all manner of close quarters combat stuff, from knives to various batons (PR-24 side handle, Rapid Rotation baton, ASP, Winchester expandable baton) to tazers and stun guns, pepper spray... ,the list goes on.  We also did firearms training, although at the time we did not carry firearms on duty, although that was in the works, and we did have long guns (specifically shotguns) available for emergency use.  We also spent a lot of time reviewing tactical situations ad training films, and we often did knife on gun training, which really drove home how important it is to rely on yourself more than your firearm.  A film by Calibre Press called Surviving Edged Weapons shows actual testing and situation recreations of police officers that have encountered situations where they were faced with knife weilding assailants, and let me tell you, more often than not the officer did not are well.

Transitioning that concept to civilian use was really quite fascinating, since it points out that most situations in which your firearm is going to be beneficial to you are the kinds of situations in which the threat is far enough away that you are able to avoid it entirely.

For example, the LA County Sheriff's office has established that in order to safely counter a knife with a gun, the officer requires a minimum of 21 feet of distance, and, even in that situation, the officer must be running backwards in an arc.  Only then do they have the necessary time to draw, aim and fire two rounds, center of mass.

The Mythbusters tested this theory and came to a similar conclusion.

A police officer usually will not have the option of using that 21 feet to turn and run like hell, while a civilian does, and let me tell you, that is a much better plan than trying to get into a gun battle with someone intending to cause you harm.  At 21 feet you should be able to recognize the potential threat and cross the street, get in your car or just turn around and walk the other way.

This is not a comment meant to discourage CCW.  Just the opposite in fact- I would encourage anyone to take proper training and get their CCW if available.  While it doesn't make the news terribly often, there are tens f thousands of hours of footage from gas stations and convenience stores that show how someone with a CCW can make a big difference.  I just think that people need training to know when and where is appropriate to use a firearm, and, more importantly, when not to.

Def

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: November 02, 2018, 07:50:05 PM
I am well aware of the various holsters and retention methods, and am trained in firearm retention.  It was part of my intensive security and close quarters combat training I got when I worked for a nuclear and medical research and development company back in the late 90's.  The Uncle Mike's triple retention holster was the cream of the crop back then, and I am sure that the designs have only gotten better since then.  The cool thing was, we trained full contact (blue guns of course) with people that could identify the holster and knew how to draw the firearm from it, so we learned never to rely on built in retention.

Man those days were a lot of fun... and they hurt like hell, but it was worth it!  That was also where I started working with dogs and a lot of other fun toys.

One incident I was involved in had me riding on the outside of a transport truck as it was heading towards the highway.  The driver had threatened to run me over, and had attacked me with a tire iron long before the police could arrive.  The funny thing is, one might immediately think about going straight to a firearm, but it would have been the last thing on my mind in that situation.  Mind you, I am a lot older now, and not in nearly the shape I was in then, so maybe I might consider it nowadays instead of going toe to toe with a guy much larger than me, who was swinging a steel pipe over his head!   :ahhh

I remember around that time spending a lot of time working with all manner of close quarters combat stuff, from knives to various batons (PR-24 side handle, Rapid Rotation baton, ASP, Winchester expandable baton) to tazers and stun guns, pepper spray... ,the list goes on.  We also did firearms training, although at the time we did not carry firearms on duty, although that was in the works, and we did have long guns (specifically shotguns) available for emergency use.  We also spent a lot of time reviewing tactical situations ad training films, and we often did knife on gun training, which really drove home how important it is to rely on yourself more than your firearm.  A film by Calibre Press called Surviving Edged Weapons shows actual testing and situation recreations of police officers that have encountered situations where they were faced with knife weilding assailants, and let me tell you, more often than not the officer did not are well.

Transitioning that concept to civilian use was really quite fascinating, since it points out that most situations in which your firearm is going to be beneficial to you are the kinds of situations in which the threat is far enough away that you are able to avoid it entirely.

For example, the LA County Sheriff's office has established that in order to safely counter a knife with a gun, the officer requires a minimum of 21 feet of distance, and, even in that situation, the officer must be running backwards in an arc.  Only then do they have the necessary time to draw, aim and fire two rounds, center of mass.

The Mythbusters tested this theory and came to a similar conclusion.

A police officer usually will not have the option of using that 21 feet to turn and run like hell, while a civilian does, and let me tell you, that is a much better plan than trying to get into a gun battle with someone intending to cause you harm.  At 21 feet you should be able to recognize the potential threat and cross the street, get in your car or just turn around and walk the other way.

This is not a comment meant to discourage CCW.  Just the opposite in fact- I would encourage anyone to take proper training and get their CCW if available.  While it doesn't make the news terribly often, there are tens f thousands of hours of footage from gas stations and convenience stores that show how someone with a CCW can make a big difference.  I just think that people need training to know when and where is appropriate to use a firearm, and, more importantly, when not to.

Def

I bet you have some pretty cool stories from your training and experiences. I have certainly read all of the 21 feet studies and things like that. I still choose to carry because every situation is it’s own animal, and I am not willing to trust statistics with my life. Also, I would rather be wounded once before getting out of the situation than killed. On your comment about training, I think mental training is just as important as physical training. People that carry need to take the responsibility upon themselves not only to remain proficient in handling their firearm, but to walk themselves through what could happen mentally. Think about when would and would not constitute the use of a firearm.Think about the emotional toll after the fact. Many people are great with the mechanics and are not prepared for the mental aspect. Also, keep your gun clean. Dont let it fill itself with dust. Today’s firearms are incredibly reliable but don’t take your chances walking around with half a pound of gun and two pounds of pocket lint. Yes I like pocket carry. Many people hate it, but it does away with the 21 feet rule if you see a possible threat ahead of time. Just put your hand in your pocket. It cuts your draw time significantly.

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #29 on: November 02, 2018, 08:07:39 PM
What is your carry piece? :tu:

Either a Browning hipower if expecting trouble, or a Star M43 . Both in open carry mode, not CCW. If I really expect trouble I am likely to also have a Hipoint 995 carbine in sling mode.
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%