Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Tool Chest ( another oddball project)

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Gerber Tool Chest ( another oddball project)
on: November 02, 2018, 06:39:52 PM
Another weird-ish project...

Its the same frame that was used on the Extended Reach.. I decided to use back the OG frame for that mod..

The frame was further cut down to a more compact size.. Its one of those project that have been bugging me for a while.. I am one of those weird people that is somehow attracted to Gerber tool despite their many shortcomings.. This mod will seem redundant for some. The idea is to pack as many longer tools into the frame as possible will retaining the compact size. This mod is also to hold those important tools that is a must have to me. As I have a habit of rotating MTs, most of the time they will be short of something or there's simply not enough space in one to hold everything that I need. This Tool Chest is there to fill in the gap so I can chose any other pliers based tool and still have the full loadout with me. I am used to carrying 2 MTs at work so something like that will fit in nicely. The implements in there are most likely placeholders at the moment. Blade Exchanger is scheduled to go in at some point of time. Many head scratching and refinement still need to be done.. Its going to be one of those mini wave mods again.. Major WIP.... Its in a very early and raw stage now... You might be thinking a SAK will fill in nicely..IDK, I have tried but I guess I am just not a SAK person.. Any constructive feedback always welcome!  :salute:

Tools from the balance Schrade Tough Tool mod are also in the considerations...
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 06:44:56 PM by Sam Lim »

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Gerber Tool Chest ( another oddball project)
Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 10:51:00 PM
 :like: :tu:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 01:05:47 PM
absolutely awesome!!!  :o :like: :like:

I'd buy that if Gerber made it  :multi: :tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 01:09:54 PM
Inventive! :like:

Are those simple button snaps holding the two handles together?

And is that a Wave file in one of them?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 01:12:25 PM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 03:03:24 PM
Inventive! :like:

Are those simple button snaps holding the two handles together?

And is that a Wave file in one of them?

They are not.. They are just some springs and washers to boost up the gap for the lock tab to work.. It's held together by 2 counter sunk screw and nut.. I had to use over sized washer... It a little complicated and headache on the part... They are intentionally tightened together. I always find half tools awkward to hold and operate... Yes.. That's a wave file..
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 03:28:32 PM by Sam Lim »

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: November 03, 2018, 05:02:04 PM
A little updates today.

Some shaping, cleaning up, rounding off... Made some decision on the tool load. This being somewhat still a Gerber, changing tools will still be easy. Improvement still need to be done on the handle joining part. I really want this to work as it fills a lot of tool gaps for me on most MTs.

Now some pictures... :cheers:

Some one hand action for the main blade.

Internals

Blade handle

Long tools handle. Gerber makes really good and aggressive files so its a keeper, sitting side by side with the excellent diamond file from the Wave.

Complete load

And this of course.  :D

:multi:

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 03, 2018, 05:16:41 PM
 :like: :like: :multi:

Awesome :tu:
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: November 03, 2018, 06:31:18 PM
 :iagree: :gimme:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: November 03, 2018, 08:39:14 PM
You are a Master modder, well done !   :like: :tu:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: November 04, 2018, 07:23:40 PM
You are a Master modder, well done !   :like: :tu:

:salute: :salute:

Some sharpie magic today.. to bring out the stamping.  :D

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #11 on: November 05, 2018, 08:55:09 AM
Could you now go work for Gerber?  :pok:
As a CEO?  :cheers: :salute:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #12 on: November 05, 2018, 09:00:33 AM
Schrade Phillips, nice. Longer than the Gerber one, and the adapter fits it too.
Did you have to grind the sides to get the LM adapter on it?

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: November 05, 2018, 10:53:11 AM
Schrade Phillips, nice. Longer than the Gerber one, and the adapter fits it too.
Did you have to grind the sides to get the LM adapter on it?

:salute: a little. To being with, they are very good philips. Bites better than the one on the wingman. Actually almost all the implements in the TT are pretty good. And alot of material to mod into many other tools.
IMG_20181105_174910-912x684.jpg
* IMG_20181105_174910-912x684.jpg (Filesize: 149.4 KB)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 10:58:37 AM by Sam Lim »

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #14 on: November 05, 2018, 02:40:54 PM
Very very nice mod-masterpiece, Sam! :like:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: November 05, 2018, 04:19:31 PM

I am greedy for $.. I am afraid it will get worst!  :ahhh

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: November 05, 2018, 05:06:50 PM

I am greedy for $.. I am afraid it will get worst!  :ahhh

worse that when the owner left and Fiskars bought the company? :pok:
Highly doubt it!  :D
My toys:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: November 06, 2018, 04:48:53 AM
GLBM  :salute:

The companies just need better QC. The stuffs that they are churning out are pretty ok-ish. More functional new designs and not some gimmicky smurfs. They really have to listen to the general opinion. But then the Mt's designs are getting stale now.. Perhaps they should consider to start producing light sabres now..  :dunno:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: November 06, 2018, 06:59:52 AM
Regarding the MT companies going stale, I have to give credit to SOG for innovating when others are just rehashing old designs and making "half tools". The Baton series and Sync I & II are good tools. Not just good ideas, but executed quite well, all things considered. :multi:
I know the "pen style" MT had been around a while, but they've always been pretty awful, until the the Baton series.

If you don't have the Batons and Syncs, then you're missing out.
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: November 06, 2018, 09:25:28 AM
Regarding the MT companies going stale, I have to give credit to SOG for innovating when others are just rehashing old designs and making "half tools". The Baton series and Sync I & II are good tools. Not just good ideas, but executed quite well, all things considered. :multi:
I know the "pen style" MT had been around a while, but they've always been pretty awful, until the the Baton series.

Tbh, I have not seen one in person.. But from the looks of them, my impression are that they are really bulky for what they can do. These are of cos my own opinion. If I have the chance to handle them, that might change my mind.  :cheers:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: November 06, 2018, 09:43:52 AM
They may be bulky or not, depending on your personal preference. But, they indicate that SOG is innovating, when the others(LM & Vic) are not. Gerber has been trying, but with mixed results. :facepalm:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: November 06, 2018, 10:06:11 AM
They may be bulky or not, depending on your personal preference. But, they indicate that SOG is innovating, when the others(LM & Vic) are not. Gerber has been trying, but with mixed results. :facepalm:

Lol. I totally agree with you. LM and Vic have a large fan base that feels that their current selections covers most grounds. Gerber I have only one complain that is their carbide cutter, for some reason they still insist on it. Sog, innovative definitely, they are the only ones that dares to do something different but they really have to step up on their QC...  :salute:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: November 06, 2018, 10:15:03 AM
 :iagree:
SOG QC needs a swift kick in the nads for sure.
I think you and I have always thought the PowerGrab could have been an amazing tool, if it weren't for the QC. :(
I would have rather SOG fixed the QC on the  Grab than release the Access Deluxe. The Regular PowerAccess filled a void, but the platform was wrong for an HD tool.

And agreed, Gerber needs to change the cutters to a more appropriate material and redesign them to be more like LM's cutters. Then again, the OG non--replaceable Gerber cutters were fantastic. :)

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: November 06, 2018, 11:39:28 AM
:iagree:
SOG QC needs a swift kick in the nads for sure.
I think you and I have always thought the PowerGrab could have been an amazing tool, if it weren't for the QC. :(
I would have rather SOG fixed the QC on the  Grab than release the Access Deluxe. The Regular PowerAccess filled a void, but the platform was wrong for an HD tool.

And agreed, Gerber needs to change the cutters to a more appropriate material and redesign them to be more like LM's cutters. Then again, the OG non--replaceable Gerber cutters were fantastic. :)

Let's do a virtual high five! The plier head of the power grab is obscenely beautiful when u open up the handle.. No words can describe..  :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: November 06, 2018, 12:55:46 PM
Awesome modding Sam :dd: I am always amazed with the stuff you do :tu: That tool has a really nice toolset now and looks awesome :o :like:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: November 06, 2018, 03:58:06 PM
Quote from: Sam Lim

Let's do a virtual high five! The plier head of the power grab is obscenely beautiful when u open up the handle.. No words can describe..  :cheers:
*Big high five* :cheers:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: November 06, 2018, 05:45:43 PM

yes, without those, as a collector of MTs, you're now out of Sync   :D

The plier head of the power grab is obscenely beautiful when u open up the handle.. No words can describe..  :cheers:

that plier head did really Grab my attention and it's the feature I like the most aesthetically of the new SOG tools (and the old ones by that matter), them heads are techno-futuristic looking and have attractive proportions  :gimme: !
My toys:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: November 06, 2018, 06:21:51 PM
Awesome modding Sam :dd: I am always amazed with the stuff you do :tu: That tool has a really nice toolset now and looks awesome :o :like:

:hatsoff: just putting spare parts to good use!  :salute:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: November 06, 2018, 06:24:58 PM

yes, without those, as a collector of MTs, you're now out of Sync   :D

The plier head of the power grab is obscenely beautiful when u open up the handle.. No words can describe..  :cheers:

that plier head did really Grab my attention and it's the feature I like the most aesthetically of the new SOG tools (and the old ones by that matter), them heads are techno-futuristic looking and have attractive proportions  :gimme: !

TP, I think u have to rewrite this again. There's only 2 MT related words in here.   :pok:

I totally agree. The powerlock was my first and what drawn me into this hysterical hoarding hobby...

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: November 06, 2018, 07:14:08 PM
TP needs to grab a PowerGrab. :multi:

TP,
The plier head on the Grab makes any other pliers look a bit cheap. It's the rest of the Grab that lets it down.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%