Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Worth Getting a Piranha 1?

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Worth Getting a Piranha 1?
on: November 02, 2018, 08:03:32 PM
I have a line on a LM Piranha 1 for a good price. I already carry a LM 6, Doohickey, Craftsman 4 in 1 screwdriver and a p51 on the opt side. Is it worth for me to maybe pursue the Piranha and streamline the number of opts I carry?
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline getahl

Re: Worth Getting a Piranha 1?
Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 07:27:41 PM
Having owned a couple of the PTx Piranhas for nearly a decade, I can count the number of times I've used them on two hands. Alligator wrenches just aren't that useful (to me), and there are far better ways to carry an actual phillips bit. Strangely, I've used the scraper the most, usually to clean out caked on grease in the refrigerator. I've used the wrench once or twice to undo the bolts on my license plate holder, and change my registration sticker, but they were hardly instances I needed to use it. I would save the money. If you REALLY want to carry a wrench on the daily, I would opt for a four inch crescent wrench. They're far more useful than an alligator wrench.

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 07:32:13 PM
Pocketwrench 2 and a double ended bits wrapped in the PW👍

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,70373,70375&p=61101

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 08:51:38 PM
I had the pockettoolx version but ended up giving it away.

If you have a purpose for it then you'll be happy.

I didn't find it a regularly occurring job to make it worth carrying at that time so it went.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 12:53:21 PM
I already have a 125mm Knipex plier wrench that takes on wrench duties.   :whistle:
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #5 on: November 04, 2018, 01:34:32 PM
90% of the times I use these tools is for prying or scraping  :whistle:

and like you Joe, for serious gripping and twisting I got the Knipex!  :multi:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 02:06:11 AM
They're far more useful than an alligator wrench.

I take it you've never tried to tighten an alligator!

:D

I have LM, rather than the PTx, old style Pirahna. I've had it about 8 years, I retired my PWII for it. For about a month. Then I switched back.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #7 on: December 01, 2018, 03:58:47 AM
I bought a Leatherman Piranha when they first came out and regret the purchase.  Too expensive.  Too cumbersome and too many hot spots for pocket carry.   Didn't use it more than a couple of times.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 03:59:58 AM by parnass »
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

Offline stugumby

Reply #8 on: December 04, 2018, 12:33:08 AM
yes and no, same with me i carry a croc these days in my wave sheath. p1 and p2 are unique in their own ways, p2 looks kinda flimsy with the cut away portion. I use the scraper and for very light prying on lids and cans etc. use the 1/4 inch once, way to fiddly.. went with the croc because its slimmer and has the pry/scrape that works for me. Also bought a boker hawkit, its nifty but niche ish as well. for 1/$ i would rather use a leatherman bit extender or the swiss l wrench. still a good tool and everyone has their unique uses, get it and worst case it stays in the shelf queen box.

us Offline algernonramone

Reply #9 on: December 08, 2018, 03:33:07 PM
I have 3 of them and love them, so I recommend it, but to each his own. Honestly, one useful function that I didn’t anticipate but have found very handy is to use the narrow side of the open wrench as a makeshift marlin spike for untying knots. Works great for when your shoes are double-knotted.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: December 08, 2018, 09:59:14 PM
I ended off buying a knockoff Piranha tool on Ebay for a few bucks with free shipping. I figure it was cheap enough to try it out.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 01, 2019, 12:09:09 AM
For those people who have the actual LM Piranha 1 (I got a knockoff), when you use the screwdriver bit in the 1/4 slot, does it stay in place or is it loose? I tried to use mine today to tighten a screw and it was a little loose so I had to hold onto it..

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD