Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Smart Home devices

Kev D · 282 · 14383

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Smart Home devices
Reply #120 on: January 03, 2019, 08:51:01 PM
If you want to dim a lamp fit a smart bulb,  if you just want wireless control/timing or it has an obscure bulb, use a smart plug

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #121 on: January 03, 2019, 09:17:10 PM
If you want to dim a lamp fit a smart bulb,  if you just want wireless control/timing or it has an obscure bulb, use a smart plug

Yes :tu: if not for the Christmas money I wouldn't have bought as much as I did :salute: wonder if brands will really matter a lot with the different bulbs :think: I know to a point it will but just how much of a difference  :think:

england Offline Kev D

Reply #122 on: January 03, 2019, 09:38:08 PM

Yes :tu: if not for the Christmas money I wouldn't have bought as much as I did :salute: wonder if brands will really matter a lot with the different bulbs :think: I know to a point it will but just how much of a difference  :think:

As long as they are compatible with your hub it shouldn't matter.  I stick to the Philips hue and hive bulbs as they work on my hive hub 

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #123 on: January 03, 2019, 10:10:20 PM
We've slowly but surely replaced most of our lighting with led bulb options.

I've been eyeing those sonoff smart switch/relays (and how customizable/hackable they are) and they really are an affordable option. Our living room light has a ir remote, but is pre wifi control, and it has multiple brightness and colour temperature adjustments, it'd be great to adjust that via app or home assistant, but looks like I'll need a smart ir control
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #124 on: January 03, 2019, 10:51:28 PM
Stories like this are hilarious:

https://gizmodo.com/the-amazon-alexa-eavesdropping-nightmare-came-true-1831231490?fbclid=IwAR2OKUQ0IJBiobwGWT21FrbONAvNKY2DcdPTIdP5-Gmnb4B4173DjbkXQqo

A magazine, trying to get a story decided to stalk this poor bugger rather than simply writing about the concerns and respecting this person's privacy.  It was a mistake on behalf of Amazon- these things happen, especially with new technology.  I'm not saying it was right, but it was, in my opinion at least, made much worse by someone desperate to make a name for themselves by writing a story to take a shot at a giant.

I also wonder if there is any potential legal issues for the Amazon user who realized he received the improper information, then willingly passed that info on to another party?

Again, in my opinion, it isn't the tech that is bad, it is the lack of decency on behalf of the users, and society in general.   :facepalm:

Def
I have read the original article :D

First problem, when reporting it to Amazon the user who got the wrong files did not get a response. That is not a problem of new tech but a big NO GO. And in fact a crime, as they are legally bound to report an incident like this to the authorities AND inform the user who the files belong to. Amazon did neither.

The party that got involved, c't, is a fairly renown computer journal. They actually did what journalists are meant to do, they investigate and part of it is trying to find who those files belong to (something quite rare among journalists these days). Once they figuered out who these files belong to, they contacted the wronged person.  He did not only confirm that they identified him correctly, but also his partner and confirmed that Amazon has not informed him (This is critical information!!!). Only when c't contacted Amazon they acknowledged the problem and informed the wronged party (it is unclear if they informed the authorities of their error and their breach in data security).

The whole reaction of Amazon is not very much reassuring, they do not seem to acknowledge the problem. And quite frankly, their reaction to the incident was pathetic.

I wager right here, right now, there will be more stories like this and Amazon will do nothing about it.
And I have to contradict you in this case. The user in question did, with the help of journalists, uncover a crime. Isolated, it might seem like a small crime, but considering the enormous data-collection Amazon makes, this is a big issue. The way Amazon reacted to this is quite worrying, they do not seem to care much about people's privacy. I do agree though, the tech is not the problem, Amazons greed for data is.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 10:53:42 PM by Etherealicer »
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

england Offline Kev D

Reply #125 on: January 04, 2019, 11:42:23 AM
There was a story of a google unit sending the conversation of a couple to one of their contacts when they had been talking crap about them

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #126 on: January 04, 2019, 11:57:42 AM
There was a story of a google unit sending the conversation of a couple to one of their contacts when they had been talking crap about them

:o I try not to talk bad about peeps but I didn't set up any type of calling on it yet either :D

england Offline Kev D

Reply #127 on: January 04, 2019, 12:06:10 PM
I just had another socket hangar/tidy arrive ready for my other dot that's coming at the end of the month.  Makes me wish I had a 3D printer so I could print some myself

england Offline Kev D

Reply #128 on: January 04, 2019, 12:09:50 PM

:o I try not to talk bad about peeps but I didn't set up any type of calling on it yet either :D

I've only got drop in enabled on all my echoes so they can be used as an intercom between them

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #129 on: January 04, 2019, 12:41:50 PM
The Dot hanger looks nice, Kev 8) :like: I have wondered about getting the google mini version for at least one of mine :think:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #130 on: January 04, 2019, 12:43:10 PM

I've only got drop in enabled on all my echoes so they can be used as an intercom between them

Not really tried the intercom function yet :think: need to look into that when they all get here and set up :cheers:

nl Offline Serena

• No Life Club
Reply #131 on: January 04, 2019, 12:43:40 PM
I just had another socket hangar/tidy arrive ready for my other dot that's coming at the end of the month.  Makes me wish I had a 3D printer so I could print some myself

(Image removed from quote.)
So happy to have a friend with a 3D printer. Love my retro clock stands.
He now made me a wall mount for my iPad. Still have to pick it up, but then I can have HomeKit as 'buttons' on my wall.

nl Offline Serena

• No Life Club
Reply #132 on: January 04, 2019, 01:03:38 PM
Did I already show the white one?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #133 on: January 04, 2019, 01:11:06 PM
I think you showed the black one :think: they are both very cool looking though 8) :like:

nl Offline Serena

• No Life Club
Reply #134 on: January 04, 2019, 01:14:57 PM
Thanks! Really happy with them…

england Offline Kev D

Reply #135 on: January 04, 2019, 01:36:10 PM
They are great  :tu:

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #136 on: January 04, 2019, 06:22:33 PM
they are cool, I'd be more tempted to do something like this: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3260556

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #137 on: January 04, 2019, 07:59:52 PM
Now that is a cool idea 8) :like:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #138 on: January 05, 2019, 12:41:42 AM
Well, it's no brush bolted to the wall, but the Alexa users have one up on us poor Google users....

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/kohler-numi-alexa-toilet,news-28957.html

Or is that one down?

Or maybe its number two.....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #139 on: January 05, 2019, 01:28:24 AM
I don't think I like the idea of Alexa going to the potty with me :ahhh

:rofl:

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #140 on: January 05, 2019, 01:33:40 AM
I am sure NEVER going on any service calls for those,NEVER!

Just a crappy idea. :whistle:

nl Offline Serena

• No Life Club
Reply #141 on: January 05, 2019, 05:27:51 AM
they are cool, I'd be more tempted to do something like this: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3260556
Is it bad that I have never seen a Starwars movie?

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #142 on: January 05, 2019, 10:06:53 AM
Trekie?
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

nl Offline Serena

• No Life Club
Reply #143 on: January 05, 2019, 12:17:23 PM
Trekie?
Nope, just not my genre of movies.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #144 on: January 05, 2019, 03:00:26 PM

Bad for you! :popcorn: Literally!

At least the early ones,I have not seen any of the newer ones and have no desire to really but the first defined a Genre probably of their own and are worth the time for sure.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #145 on: January 05, 2019, 05:29:02 PM

Yes, you need to at least watch the originals :pok: :D I like the rest of them as well because it has expanded the original story though :cheers:

england Offline Kev D

Reply #146 on: January 05, 2019, 06:46:40 PM

That's cool

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #147 on: January 05, 2019, 09:50:18 PM

england Offline Kev D

Reply #148 on: January 05, 2019, 09:55:29 PM
 :rofl: :rofl:

That's great, I've already experienced that frustration. Sometimes I've got to talk really slow and clear.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #149 on: January 09, 2019, 11:24:50 AM
flash deal on amazon so I snapped up 4x sonoff basics

https://sonoff.itead.cc/en/products/sonoff/sonoff-basic

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%