Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Smart Home devices

Kev D · 282 · 14310

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Smart Home devices
Reply #180 on: January 17, 2019, 10:24:11 AM
I'd be boring and change all my wake words to echo and use Alexa on the privacy device. It's took long enough to get my mum to remember the name Alexa without trying to get her to learn something more sci-fi  :facepalm:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #181 on: January 17, 2019, 10:30:56 AM
I'd have thought that saying Computer would come more naturally to most people than Alexa.  :D
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

england Offline Kev D

Reply #182 on: January 17, 2019, 04:23:37 PM
Yeah it would, but you'd be surprised how many time you hear the word computer on the TV, and the echo device would respond to them.  Though with more and more adverts about them the Alexa wake word is being said a lot more often.

I like messing with my friends ones and set alarms at odd times, then act all innocent when they tell me it did an alarm that they didn't set  :D

The last thing to theirs is 'Alexa, volume 10'  :rofl:
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 04:24:57 PM by Kev D »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #183 on: January 23, 2019, 01:03:10 PM
Guess I should update you all on what I have done :cheers: I ended up with 2 Google home minis, my little girl got herself a Google home mini, a Google home hub and a Chromecast so far :tu:

I have found that I use the Chromecast way more than I thought I would :o as I cast stuff to it all the time now :like: We have all the minis set up im different home groups and play music on them quite a bit, the little one uses hers a lot as well and even uses it in conjunction with her Roku stick :tu: I have all the apps needed on my phone for several different viewing options on my Chromecast as well and I am really liking that :cheers: I did also add a wifi network ectender to help improve the signal throughout the house and this has worked marvelously :like: going back and forth about getting a thermostat and smart bulbs :ahhh it will be a while I am sure before I add any of that though, really liking what I have at the moment though :like:

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #184 on: January 23, 2019, 01:07:04 PM
while I still have a v1 chromecast, it's back in the box now as it's been replaced by a firetv stick that does the same things... and allows me to watch Amazon Video. None of my other android box or chromecast from my tablet options seemed to work properly, plus my old kodi box wasn't h265 compatible, so when the firetv was on the black friday sale I jumped at the chance to "upgrade" although it sometimes feels more like a step sideways.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #185 on: January 23, 2019, 01:11:35 PM
My sister in law has a Firestick at there house as well and they seem to really like it :cheers: they also went through all the steps and put Kodi on it as well :tu: Seems like a good setup :tu: I only went with the Chromecast as an impulse buy because I had some Christmas money still, glad I did as it was very easy to set up and can be controlled with both my phone and the mini I have in that room :like:

nl Offline Serena

• No Life Club
Reply #186 on: January 23, 2019, 01:21:11 PM
Guess I should update you all on what I have done :cheers: I ended up with 2 Google home minis, my little girl got herself a Google home mini, a Google home hub and a Chromecast so far :tu:

I have found that I use the Chromecast way more than I thought I would :o as I cast stuff to it all the time now :like: We have all the minis set up im different home groups and play music on them quite a bit, the little one uses hers a lot as well and even uses it in conjunction with her Roku stick :tu: I have all the apps needed on my phone for several different viewing options on my Chromecast as well and I am really liking that :cheers: I did also add a wifi network ectender to help improve the signal throughout the house and this has worked marvelously :like: going back and forth about getting a thermostat and smart bulbs :ahhh it will be a while I am sure before I add any of that though, really liking what I have at the moment though :like:
Please, think about buying Philips Hue. It's a bit expensive, but soooooo amazing!!!
I have HomeKit, Apple fangirl, and with automations it's just amazing. I never arrive in a dark house. Motion sensors turn on the lights in the toilet, hallway etc.
Hey Google/Siri, turn off all the lights. So easy!!!
You need to spend some time for setting it up, but after that, only advantages.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #187 on: January 23, 2019, 04:44:41 PM
The only reason I haven't bought the Philip's Hue bulbs yet is the price :ahhh other than that I have only heard good stuff from them and from you and Kevin :cheers: may be a while but I will probably bite the bullet and get them :facepalm: :D

nl Offline Serena

• No Life Club
Reply #188 on: January 23, 2019, 05:09:31 PM
The only reason I haven't bought the Philip's Hue bulbs yet is the price :ahhh other than that I have only heard good stuff from them and from you and Kevin :cheers: may be a while but I will probably bite the bullet and get them :facepalm: :D
Just get a starter kit and then buy bulbs once in a while. That's the way I did it. Impossible to do the house at once. I've started three years ago, and I need one more lamp (In the shed) and then I'm done.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #189 on: January 23, 2019, 07:13:52 PM
I have been looking at the Hue series of lights and I am wondering what the point of the Hue Bridge is.  Do you need that or can it just be controlled through the smartphone or Alexa/Google Assistant/Siri?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

nl Offline Serena

• No Life Club
Smart Home devices
Reply #190 on: January 23, 2019, 08:57:50 PM
I have been looking at the Hue series of lights and I am wondering what the point of the Hue Bridge is.  Do you need that or can it just be controlled through the smartphone or Alexa/Google Assistant/Siri?

Def
You have to have a bridge for connecting the bulbs, update them etc. Won't work without the bridge. That's the internet connection when you're not at home, connects it to your Google Home, to your phone etc.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #191 on: January 23, 2019, 08:59:23 PM
Ah.

I thought all of that was built into the bulbs themselves.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #192 on: January 23, 2019, 08:59:34 PM

Def
The Bridge is how they work with all other devices including your Phone generally speaking.

The Hue works with a Protocol called Zigbee.

So the Devices are actually Zigbee devices as are many other Automation devices.

The Bridge is a Zigbee converter so whichever device you are controlling with or controlling talks to the bridge in its native tongue and the bridge sends Zigbee commands to the Hue stuff.

Upside is that the Bridge is independent of Internet too so as long as the bridge has power you should be able to control things from inside the house.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 09:01:00 PM by ezdog »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #193 on: January 23, 2019, 09:06:28 PM
That's good to know.  Thanks for the additional info!

Def

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #194 on: January 23, 2019, 09:20:14 PM
That's good to know.  Thanks for the additional info!

Def

Sure Thing!

All of the lighting options like these use a Bridge for the system that you use.
I have some homes that have 5 or 6 Bridges for different families of controls,it can get pretty silly quickly.

I use mostly Lutron but the Hue and Smart Things are great as well.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #195 on: January 23, 2019, 10:04:23 PM
My goal is to convert my three unit building to as many smart features as possible.  Got any recommendations?

Def

nl Offline Serena

• No Life Club
Smart Home devices
Reply #196 on: January 23, 2019, 10:10:43 PM
What phone do you have Grant?

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #197 on: January 23, 2019, 10:36:42 PM
My goal is to convert my three unit building to as many smart features as possible.  Got any recommendations?

Def

Look at the WYZE cameras first of all,if you are thinking of a camara system these are so cheap and so great it is actually hard to accept!
2 weeks rolling recording is free too and you can stick cheap memory cards in them to record all the time.

Ring now has a $100 price on the original video doorbell and that is tough to match with anything else though you do have to subscribe to keep the recordings.

I use August Systems Locks mostly as they provide the most robust interface and options and have been pretty reliable for me which is the most important feature really.
All of the Lock Makers stuff though is also entirely reliable it seems too,it sort of has to be.

As for Lighting I like Lutron like I said but all of the mainstream systems are really good and Best Buy has them all sitting next to each other in stores so you can see and compare them directly there,sometimes.

The NEST T-Stats are really the best I think though not the cheapest but you do really get what you pay for here too.
You can easily combine them with NEST Smoke and Security detectors for a really simple system if you want to go there?

I have used a Water Detector several times now that I really like but can not think of the name now for some reason?
These have actually saved 2 properties that I know of from disaster in real time by detecting and shutting off the house water main immediately and sending messages about it as well,talk about paying for itself!

I mostly use SONOS for Music,there is not much like it that I have tried and I have tried!

Alexa works simply with all of these things and while I will never have that witch in my house,everyone that I does that I install loves her deeply.

I have yet to try the Google platform and am not sure that I will.

If its not Broke,I am not Fixing it with Alexa.

YMMV of course.

nl Offline Serena

• No Life Club
Smart Home devices
Reply #198 on: January 23, 2019, 11:12:39 PM
I'm an Apple fangirl.

In here mostly everything is HomeKit based combined with HomeBridge on the Raspberry Pi.

I have:
Logitech Circle cams
Nest thermostat
Philips Hue lights, switches and motion detectors
Ikea lights and plugs
Eve plugs, door sensors and thermometers
Xiaomi smoke detectors, thermometers,window sensors and plant sensors
Music is played through my HomePods and AirPort Expresses I've connected to active speakers

I mostly use Siri. But… HomePods still don't speak Dutch. And sometimes, it's just easier to speak in your own language.

That's why I bought two Google Home Mini's. They also connect to Hue, Ikea and Nest, so I can control my lights and thermostat. First bought one for the bedroom, but I found so easy I bought a second one.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 11:49:27 PM by Serena »

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #199 on: January 23, 2019, 11:36:55 PM
I am pretty much Apples Bitch myself but I am also migrating all networking away from the now abandoned Apple stuff to more modern and much faster gear.
I sell and install the only Apple based commercial Automation System, Savant and these are scalable up to an almost unlimited number of Zones and Devices but of course this is all at one end of the spectrum of toys that can be made.
Most systems that I install are capable of running all systems in a property by themselves and combining these into a single,simple front end for anyone to be able to understand is the fun and challenge of what I do.
My Clients are not Hobbyists at all but just people with big homes and families who want the toys.

At the other end I try to standardize on established gear and while it is all do it yourself these days,I have no problem staying busy all time doing it for you instead thankfully!

So while there are many ways to do the same things these days my clients seem to prefer as integrated an approach and interface as I can give them as long as it works and this is often not the way I would do it for myself,if I wanted any of it in the first place.
Happily I do not.

If it works without fail,I love it and that is enough for me!

I'm an Apple fangirl.

In here mostly everything is HomeKit based combined with HomeBridge on the Raspberry Pi.

I have:
Logitech Circle cams
Nest thermostat
Philips Hue lights, switches and motion detectors
Ikea lights and plugs
Eve plugs, door sensors and thermometers
Xiaomi smoke detectors, thermometers,window sensors and plant sensors
Music is played through my HomePods and AirPort Expresses I've connected to active speakers

I mostly use Siri. But… HomePods still don't speak Dutch. And sometimes, it's just easier to speak in you own language.

That's why I bought two Google Home Mini's. They also connect to Hue, Ikea and Nest, so I can control my lights and thermostat. First bought one for the bedroom, but I found so easy I bought a second one.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #200 on: January 25, 2019, 01:19:26 PM

Not an iPhone!

I've got a Samsung A8 and two Samsung tablets.  The only Apple product I've ever owned was my father's original iPod that he gave me when he upgraded.  I could never get any music on it so I just used it to play Breakout.  I still have it around here somewhere.

I'd rather stick to Google and Android options wherever possible.  I've already sold my soul to Google, I'd rather not do it again to Alexa or the ghost of Turtleneck Steve.   :facepalm:

Def

nl Offline Serena

• No Life Club
Reply #201 on: January 25, 2019, 02:19:12 PM

Not an iPhone!

I've got a Samsung A8 and two Samsung tablets.  The only Apple product I've ever owned was my father's original iPod that he gave me when he upgraded.  I could never get any music on it so I just used it to play Breakout.  I still have it around here somewhere.

I'd rather stick to Google and Android options wherever possible.  I've already sold my soul to Google, I'd rather not do it again to Alexa or the ghost of Turtleneck Steve.   :facepalm:

Def

If you have a Samsung than the most logical option is to buy a Google Home. Those work perfectly together.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #202 on: January 25, 2019, 03:57:30 PM
I have Google Home Minis in both of my homes.  :D

Def

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #203 on: January 25, 2019, 04:15:36 PM
Seems to a degree Amazon is reading my mind, the Echo Input is basically a dot but without the speaker, so you add your own...

nl Offline Serena

• No Life Club
Reply #204 on: January 25, 2019, 10:34:12 PM
I have Google Home Minis in both of my homes.  :D

Def
Nest for you thermostat, Hue for lights, maybe Ikea for lights and definitely the smart plugs.
But on the other hand, America has WAAAAAY more smart plugs than Europe does.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #205 on: February 09, 2019, 02:02:31 PM
Anyone using IFTTT?  I just discovered it last night, and it basically just adds a lot more commands and functionality to your phone and other smart devices.

Of course, one of the first things I did was set it to respond to the command "Execute Order 66" because... you know... priorities...   :jedi:   :facepalm:

Def

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #206 on: February 09, 2019, 02:47:35 PM
Anyone using IFTTT?  I just discovered it last night, and it basically just adds a lot more commands and functionality to your phone and other smart devices.

Of course, one of the first things I did was set it to respond to the command "Execute Order 66" because... you know... priorities...   :jedi:   :facepalm:

Def
does it order 66 donairs?

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #207 on: February 09, 2019, 03:01:22 PM

Def

I use IFTTT as a Bridge between devices all the time as there are no Alexa Commands for many others devices.
I use them most for AV Remote stuff probably.

england Offline Kev D

Reply #208 on: February 09, 2019, 06:07:58 PM
I've got IFTTT ad had a test of it, but haven't needed to set any widgets up with it yet.

nl Offline Serena

• No Life Club
Reply #209 on: February 09, 2019, 07:12:01 PM

Def

Yep, I use it a lot. For example for Social Media forwarding etc.
But also in the house. My lights flash when someone rings my doorbell. Just for fun…

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%