Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Grandpa Patch's Porch

us Offline GrandpaPatch

Re: Grandpa Patch's Porch
Reply #30 on: November 11, 2018, 01:06:17 AM
As I just posted in Re: What did you just get?  here is:

My newest set of sharpening stones have arrived.  :woohoo:

MTO_SStones_01 by Grandpa Patch, on Flickr
MTO_SStones_02 by Grandpa Patch, on Flickr

Each individual stone was wrapped in its own little bubble wrap sleeve, so no need to tear/rip anything open and they can be put back into the sleeves for storage. 8Pcs Whetstone Sharpening Stone Knife Sharpener Grindstone Polishing Tool 240/400/800/1500/3000/5000/8000/10000 Grit
The SAK Whittling Club |
Is it better to carry a 'paddle' or to be "up a creek" without one?

us Offline GrandpaPatch

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #32 on: November 21, 2018, 01:25:39 PM
Hi GPP,

Thanks for inviting us all to your porch and for all the nice things you say about MTo - Your porch sounded like an interesting place
It's a shame the post above was brought up in your cozy porch - As this was covered in its own thread.
Note: This is me speaking more as an MTo member than as a moderator

Thanks also for your - 'It's a start' post -
So would you like me to delete the contents of the reply above
1. As is a duplicate of the other thread and
2. As it has had no other comments or replies here?

PS. I am an army brat too....  ;)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 01:27:11 PM by Huntsman »

us Offline GrandpaPatch

Reply #33 on: November 21, 2018, 09:26:21 PM
Hi GPP,

Thanks for inviting us all to your porch and for all the nice things you say about MTo - Your porch sounded like an interesting place
It's a shame the post above was brought up in your cozy porch - As this was covered in its own thread.
Note: This is me speaking more as an MTo member than as a moderator

Thanks also for your - 'It's a start' post -
So would you like me to delete the contents of the reply above
1. As is a duplicate of the other thread and
2. As it has had no other comments or replies here?

PS. I am an army brat too....  ;)

Yes, please delete the rant/post above. Thank you.
The SAK Whittling Club |

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #34 on: November 21, 2018, 09:45:44 PM
Post deleted as per request  :tu:

us Offline GrandpaPatch

Reply #35 on: November 21, 2018, 10:07:45 PM
coffeeatthecabin by Grandpa Patch, on Flickr

I have ordered a new EDC bag. If the mailman is nice to me I might actually get it today. The UTG (Maxpedition knock-off) is becoming a pain. Not in the physical sense, but in the ability to organize everything. It is a good bag, and I do use it for concealed carry in the Arizona heat, where I'm not going to be wearing an extra untucked shirt layer or jacket. The problem is the jumbo main compartment that doesn't have any organizational pockets, dividers or anything. The front compartment is nice, but can't hold everything. Then there is my small belt pouch that is currently my EDC pouch. It is a great little pouch and I find myself using items contained within more and more often, as I have already rotated the needs and wants in and out of the small pouch. But with the smaller pouch I am again restricted to what I can carry.

EDC_Bags_n_Pouches_01 by Grandpa Patch, on Flickr

So, I am upgrading to a 3VGear Outlaw II Sling Pack. Yes, it is a bigger pack, which will allow me to carry a few other things that I just haven't gotten around to adding to my EDC due to space and carry limitations. Again like I have said before, I am trying to walk the line and do the balancing act of EDC. Everyday is an evaluation of what I have carried, do I really need it, how long has it been since I have used it and do I still keep carrying it due to situational readiness (i.e. 1st Aid). Here is the link to the 3VGear Outlaw II Sling Pack. I want to be able to carry the things I carry now plus add a sewing kit, 1st Aid Kit (IFAK), fire kit, a better flashlight, Chromebook (optional), A Rite In The Rain (RITR) binder setup (upcoming purchase), my hydration reservoir, a few snacks, light jacket and a combo space blanket/safety orange tarp (optional). I believe the Outlaw II will give me what I am looking for, but won't actually know until it is in my hands and I can see what I can get into it and how well it is organized.

I will post more about the Outlaw II Sling Pack once I have it and have had a chance to look it over. Then a follow up review of the item.
The SAK Whittling Club |

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #36 on: November 21, 2018, 11:51:26 PM
I have come to view life as the search for the perfect carry system.......ending with a coffin.  :doh:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #37 on: November 22, 2018, 01:15:17 AM
Oh boy.  The "perfect" carry system.  Man.  While I don't mind a belt sheath or a bag of some kind I find when I'm off I just don't want to lug anything with me.  I don't want to be cumbered and have to keep track of anything. 

I don't mind a pack with a large open pouch.  Ideally I'd like some compartments tho.  I have a few pouches that serve as my compartments in my hike pack.  I use an Osprey pack with just a large pocket/pouch. I keep the items within separate in smaller pouches.  I know what each has so retrieving anything is easy. 

I hope your new pack serves its purpose better. 
Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #38 on: November 22, 2018, 04:44:32 PM
I have come to view life as the search for the perfect carry system.......ending with a coffin.  :doh:

How about cremation? Or a criogenic chamber? Choices, choices...

:think: :think:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #39 on: November 22, 2018, 05:14:23 PM

How about cremation? Or a criogenic chamber? Choices, choices...
 :dunno:
 :think: :think:

The compost heap is an easy solution...................just sayin'.......... :dunno:
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

us Offline GrandpaPatch

Reply #40 on: November 23, 2018, 11:41:56 PM
The mailman was nice to me today! I got my mini mag upgrade and new sling bag both today.

MiniMagLEDUpgrade by Grandpa Patch, on Flickr

For just over $10 I was able to upgrade my 1985 version of the MiniMag MagLite to LED and add a tail switch.  :woohoo:

EDC_Bags_n_Pouches_01 by Grandpa Patch, on Flickr

I've been using a UTG knock-off of the Maxpedition for carrying most of what I wanted, but lacked a good organizational system that normally comes with backpacks. So I got an Outlaw II Sling Bag by 3VGear. It will give me more space (which may or may not be my downfall, time will tell) for some needed things missing from my current setup and some options for some other things.

3VGearOutlawII by Grandpa Patch, on Flickr
3VGearOutlawII_02 by Grandpa Patch, on Flickr
The SAK Whittling Club |

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #41 on: November 24, 2018, 05:53:45 AM
Nice looking bag !  :tu:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #42 on: November 24, 2018, 09:01:41 AM
Led upgrade, big diff, but the tail switch I never really liked on the Maglite because you had to keep the head turned to the on position, nice bag! The one thing I did with anything that had a large compartment to organize was divide, take fishing boxes or mini old military pouches and organize. One for tools, one for first aid, and so on,,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%