Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Hybrid cars- anyone have one?

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Hybrid cars- anyone have one?
Reply #30 on: November 08, 2018, 07:53:44 PM
I was talking to an Australian electric car owner who was complaining that the charging stations weren't universal ie different sockets between brands. :dunno:

There needs to be a universal battery pack that you can swap for a fully charged one (perhaps at gas stations) along the way on long journeys.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #31 on: November 08, 2018, 08:30:25 PM
In my country, the farthest piece of land that you can reach from the big city without going into the sea is under 400km. I guess that explains why the range of electric cars doesn’t worry me. :dunno:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #32 on: November 08, 2018, 09:17:44 PM
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #33 on: November 08, 2018, 09:22:35 PM

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: November 08, 2018, 09:47:27 PM
Where I am now, the electricity is generated by hydroelectric dams.  In Halifax, where my house is, power is generated by burning coal and natural gas.

Yes, I would like to start taking steps to be more green, but the real reason is to reduce the amount of money I spend on fuel.  When I go to work it gets expensive, being a thousand miles away.  I go through at least five tanks of gas in 3 days just getting there, doing the job and getting home, and at $100/tank, that really gets pricey.  And, that's if things go well.  Between the gas and the hotel, I'm paying about $1000 just to go to work.  Mind you I get paid for that, but it's often up to six weeks before I do.  I'd really like to minimize my initial outlay.  I can't go any cheaper on the hotel, so the gas is the next best step.

Def

I am in the same exact boat pretty much and it can be tough for sure.
I just got back from a 2 week trip to Florida and all told might have had to front more than 7 grand including the materials I ended up needing for the work.

So I have had to learn to stand up and simply ask that I am fronted some expense jingle in advance of the work and so far no one has even flinched or questioned that idea and I now almost never have to cover expenses out of my own pocket.

I don't really know your work but it is amazing that all I had to do was ask and the problem was take care of.

I also wonder if there is any real relief through the path you are looking to here as you are likely talking about saving a few hundred dollars really at most and the expense will be covered in the end too?

The only thing that I am really invested in aside from my time is the wear & tear on the vehicle that I take and my trusty Tundra is a workhorse for sure and a Gas Hog but never lets me down at all.
Add to that the space and power to bring all that I need anywhere I need to go and the absolute comfort and security of the platform and the fact that I always regret it when I drive too little vehicle out of town and the Big Truck is just always the right choice for me in the end.

I have also dragged my tiny RV many times and beaten the Hotel expense mostly all while getting to camp too while working and that is a great alternative for me as long as I can be sure that I can find a campsite before I start the trip.

Also back to the Prius,I am pretty sure that the Prius is one of the most bulletproof cars that Toyota sells.
I sure agree with the ugly part but the reliability is a known thing and even among dealer staff this is a known feature.
I do work for 2 different Toyota Dealers and many others that sell all makes of used cars and trucks and the Prius is pretty much legendary among used car people for being tough and reliable.I didn't know this until I was in the market myself but sure know it now!

So I would have little reservation driving the Prius the distance if it could really do the whole jib that I need it too and reliability would not be a real concern either.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 09:53:12 PM by ezdog »

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #36 on: November 08, 2018, 10:02:12 PM
I bill a flat rate for mileage, so whether I do it in a Unimog or a tricycle, it works out to the same amount.  If I can save some cost/lite then I end up with a little more to pay for oil changes, new tires and other maintenance issues.

I've been very tempted to buy a small RV and live on site for the duration of the jobs.  That would make it a lot easier since I usually bring my dogs along as well, and I'd save the hotel charge.  I just need a reliable way to heat the RV reliably in -40C temperatures, and in the high winds that are prevalent when right on the shore.  I'd love a small Class C or B+ motorhome- just large enough to haul the Jeep along for more convenience than uprooting the RV every time I want to run into town for a bite to eat.

TBH, I think that makes a lot more sense than the hybrid idea, but i like to explore options.  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: November 08, 2018, 10:10:19 PM
I bill a flat rate for mileage, so whether I do it in a Unimog or a tricycle, it works out to the same amount.  If I can save some cost/lite then I end up with a little more to pay for oil changes, new tires and other maintenance issues.

I've been very tempted to buy a small RV and live on site for the duration of the jobs.  That would make it a lot easier since I usually bring my dogs along as well, and I'd save the hotel charge.  I just need a reliable way to heat the RV reliably in -40C temperatures, and in the high winds that are prevalent when right on the shore.  I'd love a small Class C or B+ motorhome- just large enough to haul the Jeep along for more convenience than uprooting the RV every time I want to run into town for a bite to eat.

TBH, I think that makes a lot more sense than the hybrid idea, but i like to explore options.  :D

Def

It can certainly be a lot more fun than Hotel living but I also mostly go where its warmer than where I live to work too.
I did get stuck a few years ago in Maine during an ice storm for a few days on the job site and I always carry everything I might need on trips like that just in case and all was well.
They were not sure that the House I was working on had working heat as it is a Summer House and no one had ever tried to stay in it during the Winter,but it did work and was sort of an Adventure overall.

This was on my Birthday stuck there installing Invisable Speakers,really!

The customer also thought this was hilarious. :facepalm:

I like the trailer option just for the reason you offer,I can always get around and always have a home base with this setup and I have lived in this Casita to -10 a few days but no lower.

Nothing like sleeping on my own bed no matter how nice the Hotel might be!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 10:22:40 PM by ezdog »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #38 on: November 08, 2018, 10:33:06 PM
Try hauling large dogs around and you'll love the camper even more.   :facepalm:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: November 08, 2018, 10:34:14 PM
Try hauling large dogs around and you'll love the camper even more.   :facepalm:

Def

My friend has 2 Newfies

They drool outside only!

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #40 on: November 09, 2018, 06:23:02 AM
OK so.... you need to buy a Unimog and build a camper on the back.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #41 on: November 09, 2018, 07:08:40 AM
Hybrid cars to Unimog camper... :rofl:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #42 on: November 09, 2018, 12:24:06 PM
Given it serious thought.... and there's a Pinzgauer for sale near here too...  :facepalm:

Def

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #43 on: November 09, 2018, 01:29:52 PM
Given it serious thought.... and there's a Pinzgauer for sale near here too...  :facepalm:

Def
Great stuff... 2nd best offroad vehicle (the mighty Haflinger is king)

Hybrid cars to Unimog camper... :rofl:
I know they made at least a serial hybrid Unimog, I have seen it (probably 10+ years back). I remember it was sorta stupid as it still had all the transmission.

More current would of course be the Bremach T-Rex Hybrid... just shy of 12l/100km... not bad for a 3 ton vehicle.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #44 on: November 09, 2018, 04:11:17 PM
What about some type Van conversion diesel?  There have been 4X4 versions available for your hash climate. 
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 04:23:14 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #45 on: November 09, 2018, 04:31:56 PM
Toyota Hiace.
Mitsubishi Delica.
VW Syncro.
Quigly if you want a big boy. 
Esse Quam Videri

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #46 on: November 09, 2018, 10:28:44 PM
One often overlooked factor in both hybrid and all-electrics is the need to get the electricity from somewhere. As long as this entails burning fossil fuel the 'greens' are iffy at best, the more so when you factor in conversion losses. Power generation would need to move away from fossils by quite a margin to compensate...
Oh yeah, and building the batteries and disposing of the remains once they give up is a chemical headache too.
This quite apart from, in all-electrics, not being able to restore even a more limited range in the time it takes to fill 'er up with gasoline.
Long way to go as yet for the overall energy balance. For polluted inner cities electric drive may be a solution but by doing that you move the problem elsewhere as long as power keeps coming from fossils.

I highly recommend watching this video by Jason from Engineering Explained:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RhtiPefVzM
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: November 10, 2018, 12:59:35 AM
 :think:
Interesting! Thanks... Puts the balance calculation in a different light. It's a pity end of life emissions are not accounted for though. I'd have to take the author's word for it that these are equally insignificant for both IC and electrics but I'm not sure I can... I had the impression from reading it somewhere that recycling the batteries had quite an impact.
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #48 on: November 26, 2018, 06:08:53 PM
After over 40 years on this planet I think i finally know what love is.

https://electrek.co/2018/11/26/rivian-r1t-all-electric-pickup-specs/

:drool:

I hope to smurf this isn't another Dale.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twentieth_Century_Motor_Car_Corporation

Def

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #49 on: November 26, 2018, 08:27:22 PM
Imagine if you could hire 'battery trailers' for long trips...  :think:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #50 on: November 26, 2018, 08:33:26 PM
After over 40 years on this planet I think i finally know what love is.

https://electrek.co/2018/11/26/rivian-r1t-all-electric-pickup-specs/

:drool:
Looks good! Apart from the headlights...

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #51 on: November 27, 2018, 03:15:22 AM
I'm not upset over the headlights- I'm not going to be the one looking at them!

Def

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #52 on: November 27, 2018, 09:13:50 AM
Imagine if you could hire 'battery trailers' for long trips...  :think:
Around here there is a company (EP Tender) that has plans for this...
they have 2 products, 1 is only battery, the other is petrol engine, producing power.
schema-98-2-english-1024x576.jpg
* schema-98-2-english-1024x576.jpg (Filesize: 90.79 KB)

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #53 on: February 02, 2019, 03:13:53 PM
I drove a hybrid SUV extensively for about 9 years, including long road trips without any trouble.  :tu:

All electric cars still suck not only because of the limited range, but because of the recharge time. For example I did a road trip last year where I drove 1000 miles on 2 different days of it (most of the time I average 500-800 miles cross country), which would not have been possible with an electric. It took a little over 16 hours to drive that far in my current (gasoline powered) car, and I could have done the same thing in a hybrid with no problem. But if I had a fancy-pants Tesla, with 335 mile range and a 9 1/2 hour recharge time (assuming I could find a place to charge every 335 mi.), it would have taken at least 35 hours to do the same 1000 miles, given that there would have been 2 recharges necessary. So for me, hybrid yes, economical gasoline power yes, all electric? No way.  I'll not only leave a Tesla in the dust, I'll leave it back there a few states, in a different part of the world. :D

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #54 on: February 03, 2019, 08:39:02 PM
I have a hybrid bike, does that count?  :angel:

::)
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #55 on: February 03, 2019, 08:41:38 PM
Only if it's electric/internal combustion engine.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #56 on: February 03, 2019, 08:47:07 PM
I drove a hybrid SUV extensively for about 9 years, including long road trips without any trouble.  :tu:

All electric cars still suck not only because of the limited range, but because of the recharge time. For example I did a road trip last year where I drove 1000 miles on 2 different days of it (most of the time I average 500-800 miles cross country), which would not have been possible with an electric. It took a little over 16 hours to drive that far in my current (gasoline powered) car, and I could have done the same thing in a hybrid with no problem. But if I had a fancy-pants Tesla, with 335 mile range and a 9 1/2 hour recharge time (assuming I could find a place to charge every 335 mi.), it would have taken at least 35 hours to do the same 1000 miles, given that there would have been 2 recharges necessary. So for me, hybrid yes, economical gasoline power yes, all electric? No way.  I'll not only leave a Tesla in the dust, I'll leave it back there a few states, in a different part of the world. :D
Just curious, what was the rough route of that 1000 mile trip? :)
I bet I could find charging stations along it.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #57 on: February 04, 2019, 05:30:40 AM

Just curious, what was the rough route of that 1000 mile trip? :)
I bet I could find charging stations along it.

It was actually a 7000 mile trip from Atlanta to the San Francisco Bay Area and back. I suppose I could have found places to charge or plug in too, but the point is that it's a 9+ hour ordeal to recharge, while I can gas up and be rolling in 5 minutes.  ;)

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: February 04, 2019, 06:16:09 AM
You can get <1 hour charging these days and it's getting faster.

I've driven Priuses quite a bit, always used to get them at rental, didn't notice any fuel difference on highway journeys. I think the fuel saving is mostly urban driving? That was with the first generations though.

I'd be tempted to say give it another couple of years. The technology is moving very fast and it might be worth allowing it to grow to the point where it's a better investment with more competition creating better pricing. Especially if you are interested in an AWD solution.

One thing I'm certain, I bought a new Honda Jazz (Fit) two years ago. It will be going strong as we bridge the change over to electric and its value will plummet in later life as a result. You usually buy a Honda expecting it to last practically forever, I'm sure it will but the relevant factor will not be the car itself but availability and pricing/taxes on petrol due to everyone going electric. It could well become a huge paperweight within the next 15 years through no fault of its own. I won't be alone at any rate.  :)
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #59 on: February 04, 2019, 10:31:42 AM
Both our cars (a Volvo 850 and a Volvo S70) are hybrids: they run on petrol and on LPG  ::)
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44