Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Who has a LM Crunch?

Poncho65 · 121 · 15385

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Who has a LM Crunch?
on: December 04, 2008, 04:13:47 AM
Well with all my other who has threads I'll add the LM Crunch :D

I got it in the mail today and am very pleased with it :tu:

It has to be one of the most complex LM out there :think: Who would have thought to make it like that?

It seems to be a great pair of locking pliers (and unless you have one you really don't know what I am talking about)

This is a tool you really have to see and feel to really grasp how well built and complex it is

Just wanting to know who has one and what are your thoughts on this magnificent tool :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Who has a LM Crunch?
Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 04:59:39 AM
Also a quick question does anyone else have a notch in the top jaw of there Crunch?  If so does anyone know what it's for :-\ Thanks in advance :salute: :D

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 05:03:33 AM
I got a crunch, got a notch and think it was for something with fish-hooks or wire or something. Can't remember exactly what.

FWIW; the other locking pliers multi-tool, the Kershaw A100 has the same notch on it's pliers.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 05:05:33 AM
That notch is helpful for holding a pin straight out of the jaws..with a regular pair of locking pliers without that notch, you might get the jaws tight enough around the pin so that it doesn't move..but you also crush the pin.
[

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 05:25:59 AM
Thanks for the replies guys :tu: :)

I kinda thought that might have been what it's for but was just asking to make sure thanks :cheers: :D

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 05:28:57 AM
Also a quick question does anyone else have a notch in the top jaw of there Crunch?  If so does anyone know what it's for :-\

I have used the notch to hold a jigsaw blade and the Crunch becomes a saw handle.
crunch-saw.jpg
* crunch-saw.jpg (Filesize: 23.56 KB)
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 05:30:18 AM
Also a quick question does anyone else have a notch in the top jaw of there Crunch?  If so does anyone know what it's for :-\

I have used the notch to hold a jigsaw blade and the Crunch becomes a saw handle.

:o Now that is just cool (I love making a MT more multi :D )

Thanks for the tip :tu:

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 05:35:24 AM

nice one mate :tu:
A

us Offline cgjones

Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 05:58:46 AM
I've got one with the notch. Don't really have an opinion on it, since I've never really used it.

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008, 06:00:14 AM
It has to be one of the most complex LM out there :think: Who would have thought to make it like that?

It seems to be a great pair of locking pliers (and unless you have one you really don't know what I am talking about)

This is a tool you really have to see and feel to really grasp how well built and complex it is
I got one, and I agree with you here. :multi:

I've always thought the notch was for pulling nails or something, though I like that saw idea. :tu:

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: December 04, 2008, 06:06:26 AM
Got to handle one that belongs to a friend a while back and must say it's a solid MT. It's on my list of things to get.

Now pics of your Crunch are due  :pok:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: December 04, 2008, 06:15:23 AM
I see what I can do about pics  ::)

But they'll probably have that gold look :ahhh unless I can get outside and get some natural light ;)

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #12 on: December 04, 2008, 06:23:50 AM
Do you think the Crunch cuts the mustard as a standalone tool,or is it better as a complement to another tool or SAK like some others feel?
I

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #13 on: December 04, 2008, 06:44:57 AM
Do you think the Crunch cuts the mustard as a standalone tool,or is it better as a complement to another tool or SAK like some others feel?
All depends on what you want. I mean there's not too much that the crunch can't do tool-wise. But due to the design you do give up some extras (saw, scissors, etc.), as well as some ease of use, and gain some extra weight. So I think it's a quite functional tool, but you have to want locking pliers enough.

And of course if you want to carry two tools, this certainly adds some variety. :)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: December 04, 2008, 06:50:44 AM
I'll have to get back to ya in a while on that one :tu: I believe with a hex head kit and the Crunch I could probably use it as a stand alone :think: But I could just pair it with a SAK  :D

Perhaps my Deluxe Tinker and then I would have reg (small) but reg pliers or my Electrician Plus and have just about everything but scissors ;)

But for now I just really don't know :ahhh :D

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: December 04, 2008, 07:01:15 AM
If I could find one locally I would buy it.
(

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: December 04, 2008, 07:03:26 AM
If I could find one locally I would buy it.

I could buy one locally but the price would be twice what I got it for :(

But I understand where your coming from :tu: I do like to see things before I buy, but since I am cheap I can't always afford that luxury ::) ;) :D

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #17 on: December 04, 2008, 10:30:51 AM
I actually love my crunch. It has become a regular tool in rotation. I find the pliers to be strong enough to anything I need a smaller set of lockers to do.
S

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #18 on: December 04, 2008, 06:03:13 PM

I think Leatherman intended the Crunch to serve as a standalone tool, with additional flexibility to work with optional hex bits.   If you have more patience than me, it can serve you well as your EDC (carry on your person) tool.

When I first bought a Crunch (from eBay), I carried it as a standalone EDC tool for a while as an experiment.  It took me too long to deploy the pliers jaws and individual tools.  Ok, I am impatient.   Now, I keep the Crunch in the Maxpedition Proteus pack in my truck and reverted back to carrying more conventional plier multitools on a belt case instead.

I should give the Crunch another try as EDC sometime.  In analyzing which tool(s) I use most often, a knife blade is by far the winner so I now carry a separate folding knife and am no longer as dependent on a multitool to provide a blade.

My Crunch is a few years old.  I don't know how well the current specimens are built.  The Crunches I've seen are Leatherman "old school."  I mean they were very well built -- in the tradition of the original PSTs and SuperTools.  No plastic.   I suspect they are more rust resistant than the current Leatherman tools.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: December 04, 2008, 06:07:46 PM

I think Leatherman intended the Crunch to serve as a standalone tool, with additional flexibility to work with optional hex bits.   If you have more patience than me, it can serve you well as your EDC (carry on your person) tool.

When I first bought a Crunch (from eBay), I carried it as a standalone EDC tool for a while as an experiment.  It took me too long to deploy the pliers jaws and individual tools.  Ok, I am impatient.   Now, I keep the Crunch in the Maxpedition Proteus pack in my truck and reverted back to carrying more conventional plier multitools on a belt case instead.

I should give the Crunch another try as EDC sometime.  In analyzing which tool(s) I use most often, a knife blade is by far the winner so I now carry a separate folding knife and am no longer as dependent on a multitool to provide a blade.

My Crunch is a few years old.  I don't know how well the current specimens are built.  The Crunches I've seen are Leatherman "old school."  I mean they were very well built -- in the tradition of the original PSTs and SuperTools.  No plastic.   I suspect they are more rust resistant than the current Leatherman tools.

yeah I noticed the old schoolishness of it as  well :D reminded me of like you said the PST and Super Tool :cheers: I love that all stainless (no fuss no muss) look about it :drool: Now I need to get a good small hex bit kit :)

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #20 on: December 04, 2008, 09:07:46 PM
Not me.   :(
I'm back!!

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #21 on: December 04, 2008, 09:12:25 PM
I do 8) Love it :)
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #22 on: December 04, 2008, 09:26:49 PM
I plan to raid one of your homes. :D
Got those frog legs.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: December 04, 2008, 10:24:12 PM

I am apparently asking you for a rant ::) but why didn't you get along with it man ??? :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: December 04, 2008, 10:25:13 PM
I plan to raid one of your homes. :D

Just don't forget to bring all of your MTs and knives becasue you might have to leave without them if you come here ::) :D :D :D

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #25 on: December 04, 2008, 10:26:40 PM

I am apparently asking you for a rant ::) but why didn't you get along with it man ??? :D

No rant this time (a Pulse or an original Wave would have got you one of those  :D), I was just saying that I didn't have one.
I'm back!!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: December 04, 2008, 10:59:21 PM

No rant this time (a Pulse or an original Wave would have got you one of those  :D), I was just saying that I didn't have one.

Owe ok ::) :D :D :D May one be in you near future then ;) :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: December 06, 2008, 05:17:24 AM
A question for anyone who has more than 1 Crunch that may have a few years in manufacturing difference

Have there been any chances or modifications to the Crunch over the years that it's been in production? :)

ph Offline Teofilo

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: December 06, 2008, 09:51:39 AM
nice using magnetic adaptor and bits

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #29 on: December 06, 2008, 01:04:34 PM
The "big round bolthead/rivet/fastener" type thing is different on these two :)

Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%