Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Letting others use your knife

Valkie · 53 · 2004

au Offline Valkie

on: November 07, 2018, 11:47:00 PM
I carry my Herc or Craftsman around every day.

I'm happy with either of these tools and know them intimately

Yesterday, the young admin girl (about 30, but when you are 60, they seem much younger), asked if I had a knife she could cut her lime with.
without really thinking about it I pulled out my Hercules, opened the knife and handed it to her.
She went to cut the lime and the knife ...sort of.....fell through the fruit.

I keep my knives razor sharp.

The look on her face was a classic, she said she had never used a knife that cut like that.
She then went to clean the blade with a tissue.

Now, I dont know about you people, but I assume as you still have enough fingers to type, you know the right way to clean a very sharp knife.
Well, she didn't, I said stop, quite forcefully, I took the knife from he and showed her the way to hold a knife and how to wipe the blade without losing a finger.

She said is it really that sharp?
I picked up a piece of paper and proceeded to shred it down its full length (you know what I mean)
I said try that with any knife you have, but be careful.

Well, today she came back to me and said she tried it with her sharpest knives at home, and could not get even 1 to do it, they all tore or didnt even get a cut.

I showed her how I could shave my arm with the knife.

Honestly, not many people realise just how sharp a knife can be.
No wonder people get cut by them.
My wife and kids will not touch my knives, they know how sharp they are, but safely handled, there is no problem.

In 60 plus years, I have cut myself perhaps 3 times with one of my knives, usually because I was doing something I shouldnt.
My worst injury was with a tool for removing grout from some tiles.

I will be very careful in future lending my knife, imagine had I not been there to stop her?
tools is what defines us as humans

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Letting others use your knife
Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 02:08:10 AM
One word--shop knife. I always have some knife that's good, but inexpensive to replace, and of modern production I can lend out without fear.

us Offline GrandpaPatch

Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 02:22:38 AM
WOW, this is a tough question. Partly because I don't have that many friends. The six friends (3 couples) that I do have already have their own knives and tools. So I have never been asked by a friend to borrow a knife. An acquaintance might ask, but would not receive a knife from me, even if I was standing right there when they used it. Anyone below acquaintance level would only get a silly, quizzical look like "are you f'n kidding me?" I'm don't/won't apologize for this attitude. I have worked hard for every penny I have (which isn't much) and learned a long time ago that when you loan something out expect it to come back to you 1) broken 2) without an apology or good explanation 3) or not returned to you at all (usually due to #1 or #2 or both).
The SAK Whittling Club |
Is it better to carry a 'paddle' or to be "up a creek" without one?

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 02:54:23 AM
In this topic https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,78686.msg1765695.html#msg1765695 I lamented how I had to tell people that my knife is sharp when I hand it to them.  I think the only reason most people don't know how to handle a sharp knife is that they don't know how to sharpen them in the first place.
If you hadn't been there to stop her, you wouldn't have given her the sharp knife and she would have used some other dull knife, so no harm done.
- Steve

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 09:21:59 AM
WOW, this is a tough question. Partly because I don't have that many friends. The six friends (3 couples) that I do have already have their own knives and tools. So I have never been asked by a friend to borrow a knife. An acquaintance might ask, but would not receive a knife from me, even if I was standing right there when they used it. Anyone below acquaintance level would only get a silly, quizzical look like "are you f'n kidding me?" I'm don't/won't apologize for this attitude. I have worked hard for every penny I have (which isn't much) and learned a long time ago that when you loan something out expect it to come back to you 1) broken 2) without an apology or good explanation 3) or not returned to you at all (usually due to #1 or #2 or both).

+10  :iagree:

Like I've said countless times before, nothing good ever comes from lending people your stuff.
- At best nothing will happen cause the person is competent in using that item, and... (big "and" here...), the person is respectful and considerate of your property when using it and returning it.
- At worst, any of the issues mentioned in the post above can happen.

So usually if some one asks me to use my sak, ill ask them what they need done and ill do it for them
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 09:24:55 AM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

Offline chris777

Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 10:03:57 AM
An acquaintance might ask, but would not receive a knife from me, even if I was standing right there when they used it. Anyone below acquaintance level would only get a silly, quizzical look like "are you f'n kidding me?" I'm don't/won't apologize for this attitude. I have worked hard for every penny I have (which isn't much) and learned a long time ago that when you loan something out expect it to come back to you 1) broken 2) without an apology or good explanation 3) or not returned to you at all (usually due to #1 or #2 or both).

Sigh I only wish I had known people don't take care of stuff, or care if they take care of yours a few years back.

I had gone to look at a used car, and it had a plastic oil stick with the ring broke off I pulled out my deluxe tinker  tried using my pliers and maybe a pinch on the awl to try and dig it out to look at it, when the seller asks to let him try. Not thinking I let him ,and dude freaking opens and twist my main blades tip. prying the dip stick out.  I was so utterly dumbfounded I did not know what to do or say. So We left.

it wasn't horrible but it was definitely not pristine anymore.

Then A few years later I pulled it from a drawer and one of the scales had warped somehow, and popped off (its cracked where it grips the frame)

I quit using it and switched to Leatherman, for quite some time, until being nudged into a swisstool spirit. which I in tirn used a few more years, till deciding I didnt need the excess weight for how rarely I used the full size pliers.

So I pulled old faithful out of the drawer the other day, and discovered, I can barely find where doofus twistwarped my knife tip.

I wish I knew where to get a cheap scale to replace the damaged one.

I m torn I love the toolset, but I still want something smaller, or more lightweight.

I couldn't send it in under warranty for the warped handle scale could I?(I didn't do it, nor could I blame it on doofus that screwed my blade) OR is it even worth ding with shipping cost
?

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 10:29:03 AM
I've let co-workers use my knife because sometimes it gets a job done more efficiently. I've had no problems so far - but I'm careful with my instructions, only allowing them to use the knife as I do. Two of my four co-workers now carry their own knives.  :tu:

Generally though, I'm careful about who I lend things to. In my experience it helps to be explicit in your expectations of respectful use and return. Otherwise you can be burned for sure. I've learned!

Another thing. I believe in sharing with others I trust because lending favours are often returned. You can't own every tool, etc.
Rambler

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: November 08, 2018, 03:23:16 PM

In 60 plus years, I have cut myself perhaps 3 times with one of my knives, usually because I was doing something I shouldnt.
My worst injury was with a tool for removing grout from some tiles.

I will be very careful in future lending my knife, imagine had I not been there to stop her?

I have been carrying knives as long as you and , like you, I keep them razor sharp. It is good that you were watching how she was handling your knife.

When we were growing up more people were used to using a pocket knife and had more respect for what it was capable of.

I agree with Macgyver's statement "So usually if some one asks me to use my sak, ill ask them what they need done and ill do it for them"...that keeps them from getting hurt or abusing my knife.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 03:26:36 PM by VICMAN »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: November 08, 2018, 03:30:06 PM
All my blades are on the stupid sharp spectrum.  I don't lend them out but I'd be happy to gift one or do the cutting if possible. Most peoples kitchen knives tend to be what I consider dull and probably dull my most standards.  Having a knife as sharp as ours isn't necessarily the problem.  Its what I've witnessed as peoples lax attitude handling them or negligence.  Accidents happen but conscientious use has to also happen.  Good she didn't cut herself and good you were there to supervise. 
Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #10 on: November 08, 2018, 05:03:28 PM
When anyone asks me, I awlways answer: "Sorry, I don't have a knife you can borrow."

Sometimes, they look puzzled and say:
"But you're using a knife right now!"

I answer:
"Yes, and you can't borrow it..."

8) 8)

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: November 08, 2018, 07:58:11 PM
When anyone asks me, I awlways answer: "Sorry, I don't have a knife you can borrow."

I answer:

8) 8)

:like:

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #12 on: November 08, 2018, 08:15:36 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

:iagree:

I'll usually be glad to help if someone needs something cut, but letting them use it just isn't worth the risk of potential blood-letting or knife damage.  :dunno:
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: November 08, 2018, 08:27:15 PM

I answer:

8) 8)

:rofl: Bloody brilliant  :like:
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

au Offline Valkie

Reply #14 on: November 08, 2018, 10:14:43 PM
I trusted this young lady to use it simply to cut a lime.

No possible damage to the knife, but I honestly didn't expect that the most serious damage could be to her  :dunno: :dunno:

And while I'm careful with my knives, they are basically tools, they will get worn, damaged and scratched, that's what they are for.

Of course the first scratch is the worst, everyone laments the first real scratch, but tools is tools.

I have a garage full of tools, just about everything that can cut wood or be used to work on cars.

Just about every one has some scratches, marks, damage or wear.
But that's because they are tools.

I have broken tools abusing them, usually in a vain attempt to do something with them that probably should not have been done.
I badly damaged one of my "Quite expensive" wood chisels cutting out a mortise and not realising there was the remains of an old nail in the wood.
Man did I chuck a dummy spit over that little peccadillo.

It took me quite a bit of work to repair said chisel, as well as years of life off it.

for the rough stuff around the house, cutting rough and tumble "anythings" I use this old beast.
Given to me by a customer about 15 years ago.
Its scratched, its messy and its old, but it just keeps on going.
krone 1.jpg
* krone 1.jpg (Filesize: 301.95 KB)
krone 2.jpg
* krone 2.jpg (Filesize: 304.63 KB)

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: November 08, 2018, 10:57:43 PM

for the rough stuff around the house, cutting rough and tumble "anythings" I use this old beast.

It looks like it has held up very well! :cheers:

au Offline Valkie

Reply #16 on: November 09, 2018, 02:21:42 AM

It looks like it has held up very well! :cheers:

Yeah, but you cant see the bend in the small knife at the top or the sloppy scissors from cutting wires.
The scales are all scratched as well.
But this is my workhorse, 15 years of abuse and still going strong.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: November 09, 2018, 08:54:16 AM
Yeah, but you cant see the bend in the small knife at the top or the sloppy scissors from cutting wires.

Huh...? I'm confused...  That's a Recruit economy... what scissors...?  :think:

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #18 on: November 09, 2018, 09:16:00 AM

:popcorn:
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

gb Offline fred2892

Reply #19 on: November 09, 2018, 09:30:16 AM
He did say you can’t see the scissors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #20 on: November 09, 2018, 09:41:27 AM
Yes but you also can't see any backside tools which is confusing.

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #21 on: November 10, 2018, 03:24:21 PM
A few weeks ago one of my co-workers asked me if he could use my VX knife to do some cutting (opening a parcel).
I told him that he posed the wrong question. The right question should have been: "Why don't I have my OWN knife to open the parcel?"
He looked at me in a stupid way, not knowing what to answer. So I told him that I myself would open the parcel.
When I opened the main blade on my Huntsman, a female co-worker scared up and she said "Oh, that's a WEAPON!" I told her she's a no-brainer, because a Victorinox pocket knife is in fact a TOOL, not a weapon!!

Much of my work time I am surrounded by morons...

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: November 10, 2018, 05:33:20 PM
A few weeks ago one of my co-workers asked me if he could use my VX knife to do some cutting (opening a parcel).
I told him that he posed the wrong question. The right question should have been: "Why don't I have my OWN knife to open the parcel?"
He looked at me in a stupid way, not knowing what to answer. So I told him that I myself would open the parcel.
When I opened the main blade on my Huntsman, a female co-worker scared up and she said "Oh, that's a WEAPON!" I told her she's a no-brainer, because a Victorinox pocket knife is in fact a TOOL, not a weapon!!

When I was growing up in the 1950's and '60's the average person thought of a pocket knife as a tool.  It saddens me that so many people think of them as a weapon now days.

I have carried and used pocket knives since I was 8 years old and there has hardly been a day that I did not find a use for them.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #23 on: November 10, 2018, 06:43:50 PM

the Recruit has no backside tools :dunno:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #24 on: November 10, 2018, 06:49:43 PM

the Recruit has no backside tools :dunno:

I know that!
But scissors were mentioned. An 84mm SAK with scissors, but no backside tools. A Recruit with an invisible scissors layer... I'll add it to the wiki ;)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 06:54:32 PM by Reinier »

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: November 10, 2018, 09:28:12 PM

+10...  how i understand you mate.....  :facepalm:

and it's usually those same morons that asks you to borrow your knife/sak when they need to cut/fix something... It's a sad age we live in, and it just gets sadder by the year...  :poh:

us Online Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #26 on: November 11, 2018, 02:07:09 AM
I would rather not lend my knives to anyone.  I will gladly cut something for them, once, and tell them how useful a pocket knife is and I will make suggestions for them to consider before the need arises again.  Something along the lines of, "you know, you should buy a Swiss Army Classic and hang it on your keys so you will always have it with you."

us Offline papadan

• An old wrench tugger
Reply #27 on: November 11, 2018, 07:36:10 PM
I stopped lending my knives to anyone a long time ago. A secretary where I worked asked to borrow my knife one morning, I didn't think anything about it, and handed her my Case I was carrying at the time. She used it to break into her desk drawer because she had forgot her keys at home. A slight bend and chipped blade and I just told her to keep it for next time!  :twak:
just a tired old Multi-fool

au Offline Valkie

Reply #28 on: November 11, 2018, 10:55:57 PM

Sorry about that

Got it confused with my other old workhorse.

Its a mini, the scissors are really sloppy and Ive had it for about 15 years.

One starts to lump all work horses into the same basket.

This is my mini, and thanks for identifying my knife "Recruit Economy" Is it?
Thanks

micro 2.jpg
* micro 2.jpg (Filesize: 304.48 KB)
micro1.jpg
* micro1.jpg (Filesize: 341.71 KB)

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: November 12, 2018, 12:15:43 AM

Sorry about that

Got it confused with my other old workhorse.

Its a mini, the scissors are really sloppy and Ive had it for about 15 years.

One starts to lump all work horses into the same basket.

This is my mini, and thanks for identifying my knife "Recruit Economy" Is it?
Thanks

Hey, no problem  :cheers:

Yes, that's a Recruit economy with white advertising scales, not very common. The "economy" versions differs  from the regular Recruit (or other models) because it's supposed to be a bit cheaper for not having a quality control as tighter as the regular production models, and the scales doesn't have scale tools, or the inlayed metal cross and shield, just a heat stamped one. Other than that its just like a normal Recruit.

Oh, and that "mini" is actually a "Classic"  :cheers:
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 12:17:30 AM by MacGyver »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%