Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My new Sportsman's nail file scratches blade is this normal?

00 Offline undertaker99

I thought the nail file would be better than the small blade because it works on small phillips but if it scratches the blade I should have gotten the tinker small
Capture.jpg
* Capture.jpg (Filesize: 20.05 KB)

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: My new Sportsman's nail file scratches blade is this normal?
Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 12:04:56 AM
That's pretty normal. I see that on all 84mm Victorinox SAKs with the nailfile--cellidor and ALOX.  When deploying the nailfile, try not to put any more lateral force than necessary against the tool (toward the blade).  This will reduce the amount of contact.
- Terry

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 01:47:55 AM
It's a little annoying but not really harmful.  That's why Wenger reversed the file.
Look at the Evolution 10.
- Steve

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 05:52:44 AM
I thought the nail file would be better than the small blade because it works on small phillips but if it scratches the blade I should have gotten the tinker small

Is it one of the new nail files where the knurling goes all the way to the edge?
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 08:01:08 AM
I noticed the same thing with my Sportsman, with the old file. It seems to be because the file doesn't have the angled grind and thinness of the small blade to prevent it touching the main blade.

On my knife, the edge/lip of the file scratches against the blade, not the rough surface, which is lower than the flat lip surrounding it. I doubt that having the file facing out would make a difference.

It's a design flaw but hey, a few fine scratches on a blade are a tiny price to pay for having such a great knife. Keep enjoying it! :cheers:

Is it one of the new nail files where the knurling goes all the way to the edge?

I'd like to know too, just for knowing's sake. :P

It's a little annoying but not really harmful.  That's why Wenger reversed the file.
Look at the Evolution 10.

I haven't seen an Evolution 10. I do have a Traveller with the file facing in. The tip just touches the blade when I open it. I can't say if it's caused any scratches because the blade has fine scratches on both sides. Unlike on the Sportsman there's a significant gap between the blade and file when they're closed. The file is somewhat thinner than the Sportsman's.
Rambler

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 12:19:18 PM
Maybe it's a little inconvenient, but you can open the main balde before deploying the nail file. That would reduce the friction, I think.

:think: :think:

The tip of my Compact's combo tool awlso hits the back of the blade. I just push it slightly out when closing it.

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 12:45:52 PM
That's unfortunately pretty normal, and also one of the reasons i don't like regular nail files on 84/91mm saks. All the tools there will rub n the main blade eventually leaving sime micro scratches like a sort of "rash" there, but that doesn't bother me. Now the darn file will scratch/ding the blade deep, especially the top of it.

As for the supposed Phillips utility of the tip, i find it very limited, cause other than very light torque will twist/bend the tip.
The four SD plate from the Swiss card is way better for that. I carry one on my key ring  :tu:
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%