Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Edc normal oho knife with a sak?

Myoman · 38 · 2475

Offline Myoman

Edc normal oho knife with a sak?
on: November 08, 2018, 01:40:43 AM
I've had my eye on this nice boker one hand assist knife. On the edc boards people like to carry a normal knife along with a leatherman or some multitool. With your experience, does the swiss army knife make carrying a regular blade redundant? I'm fleshing out my edc systems and I'm wondering whether or not to get this boker. Thanks!

us Offline GrandpaPatch

Re: Edc normal oho knife with a sak?
Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 01:46:26 AM
I've had my eye on this nice boker one hand assist knife. On the edc boards people like to carry a normal knife along with a leatherman or some multitool. With your experience, does the swiss army knife make carrying a regular blade redundant? I'm fleshing out my edc systems and I'm wondering whether or not to get this boker. Thanks!

I don't believe that carrying a 'regular folding knife' along with the SAK is redundant. There are a lot of things that a good folding knife (most today are locking blades) can do easier or safer than what you can with SAK. JMTC
The SAK Whittling Club |
Is it better to carry a 'paddle' or to be "up a creek" without one?

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 01:47:07 AM
My OHOs are also SAKs
(yes I know there are a few 2HO in the photo, but all have locking blades)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 01:48:24 AM by AndyTiedye »
R

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 04:18:05 AM
Yes there is a slight redundancy.  But this is MTO.  Plenty of members here carry 2 or more knives/SAK/MT on them every day.
So what?  If you want that knife, go ahead and buy it.  And pair it with whatever you want.
- Steve

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 04:48:25 AM
My daily carry is usually a SAK and pliers based tool and a single blade knife.  Reason being the single blade knife takes most of the abuse as far as cutting goes and I save the blades in the SAK for more delicate or precise work and it is easier than getting a blade open out of the pliers based tool.  Some people even forego the standard single blade knife for a small box cutter such as the Gerber EAB because with their replaceable blades they are always going to be sharp. :cheers:
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 04:49:32 AM by Alan K. »

us Offline GrandpaPatch

Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 07:29:07 AM
My OHOs are also SAKs
(yes I know there are a few 2HO in the photo, but all have locking blades)(Image removed from quote.)

:iagree: :like: I stand corrected. You can be redundant and still carry only SAKs. Sorry my brain wasn't even thinking about those newer SAKs when I responded. I was thinking along the lines of a SwissChamp or Hiker, as those are the ones I own. But, like others have mentioned, if you like the combinations carry everything you want.
The SAK Whittling Club |
Is it better to carry a 'paddle' or to be "up a creek" without one?

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 11:08:57 AM
Does it have to have OHO? I find two hand opening perfectly adequate 99.99% of the time. If you can really only use one hand most of the time, maybe a fixed blade is better. There's no pivot to get gunged up and stiff either.

OHO is a comparatively recent feature - certainly in SAKs. One wonders how people coped in the days of THO only. :think:
Rambler

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 08, 2018, 11:42:52 AM
My OHOs are also SAKs
(yes I know there are a few 2HO in the photo, but all have locking blades)(Image removed from quote.)

What's the difference between those 2 RescueTools? I thought that was a one-version product  :think:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: November 08, 2018, 03:19:16 PM
Carrying a secondary knife is done by many who also carry a SAK.  While redundant there is a place for a dedicated blade IMO.  If you are using your knife a lot a SAK blade wont cut it ( literally ) as the soft steel will dull faster than a blade with higher end steel.  Maybe you need or want more blade?  Maybe you want easier deployment?  For everyday things a SAK is perfect.       
Esse Quam Videri

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #9 on: November 08, 2018, 04:11:14 PM

My OHOs are also SAKs

What's the difference between those 2 RescueTools? I thought that was a one-version product  :think:

Old and new thumb hole.  New one is round.

R

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #10 on: November 08, 2018, 04:22:05 PM
Whatever works for you. If you can accomplish everything you need to do with a SAK, fine. If you need a OHO knife some times, fine. If you don't need a OHO knife but want to carry one, fine.

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #11 on: November 08, 2018, 04:53:39 PM
If I'm carrying a OHO folder, I'll often have a Swiss knife or traditional pocket knife too, which saves me opening the larger knife in front of people who may be concerned about my intentions. A few days ago, I used a Swiss knife in the town centre, and nobody batted an eyelid. A modern folder in the same setting may have attracted unwanted attention.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline cody6268

Reply #12 on: November 09, 2018, 01:06:14 AM
I always carry a Spyderco Ladybug Hawkbill with my SAK, and it shares a watch pocket with a small SAK (74mm and below) or a small gentleman's type folder, those of course I have if I need to cut something in the open. Cuts stuff knives twice it size often struggle with, and good for self defense in that it's got that hawkbill blade, is serrated, and OHO. 

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: November 09, 2018, 05:38:27 PM
I've yet to find a cutting task my SAK couldn't handle. I work in small electronics R&D lab in a semi urbanised forest (I am quite serious, there is forest all over the place in my country   :D) so I never had to skin a mammoth or something similar but still. Sure, there are things that could be done faster with a locking folder but the bigger footprint of such knife is not worth it if your primary duty in life is not cutting stuff.  :D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #14 on: November 09, 2018, 07:11:01 PM
I have a SAK as part of my base EDC (usually Midnite Manager, Executive/Director). Some times I carry a larger model (Sportsman, Climber, Compact, Spartan). When I do, I don't awlways carry another knife.

If I just have the smaller SAKs, I tend to carry another larger blade knife, for food prep. These tend to be more traditional, only occasionaly do I carry a OHO.

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #15 on: November 10, 2018, 12:32:09 AM
In addition to a SAK, I like to carry a Spyderco, Benchmade or whatever for fast deployment.  There might be some emergency to deal with - like me having to open a letter or package of bacon.

us Offline dkop1

• Acknowledged blade-aholic who isn't seeking help.
Reply #16 on: November 10, 2018, 01:05:44 AM
Not weird at all. Sometimes you've got one hand buried deep into a project, or holding something in place, and being able to flick open a "normal" knife is just plain handy.
"Have yourself a nice long rest and be back here in twelve minutes."
"All the good times, that's what I'll remember. I think there were three."

00 Offline AZ_Hiker

Reply #17 on: November 10, 2018, 07:17:20 AM
Normally I'm complimenting the SAK of the day with one of my old first generation Spyperco Enduras.  It's good for more serious tasks or just when I don't have two hands free.  I'll carry the serrated one if the day might need it.

nl Offline Mactire404

• There's a SAK for that!
Reply #18 on: December 10, 2018, 04:51:31 PM
I never intended on this to happen, but I do carry a OHO alongside my SAK.
My Handyman is a trusty compagnion for a long time, but sometimes you need to get a knife out quick or only have one hand available. So when I started to carry a (fake) Small Sebenza to see what the fuss was all about it stuck witch me and is part of my EDC for about five(?) years now.
I intended to get a real Chris Reeve Knives Small Sebenza but I got a girlfriend instead and I just can't justify €400,- on a knife as easily as she can on a €600,- carpet.  :facepalm:

Below is not my EDC, but the Handyman (black) and the Smabenze (as I call it) are.

My SAK collection and more: http://pocketknives.home.blog

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: December 10, 2018, 05:07:18 PM
My Handyman is a trusty compagnion for a long time, but sometimes you need to get a knife out quick or only have one hand available. So when I started to carry a (fake) Small Sebenza to see what the fuss was all about it stuck witch me and is part of my EDC for about five(?) years now.
I intended to get a real Chris Reeve Knives Small Sebenza but I got a girlfriend instead and I just can't justify €400,- on a knife as easily as she can on a €600,- carpet.  :facepalm:

Below is not my EDC, but the Handyman (black) and the Smabenze (as I call it) are.

(Image removed from quote.)
So that Chris Reeve sebenza is a fake? That one you have is nice. Who does make it then?

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: December 10, 2018, 08:06:19 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nl Offline Mactire404

• There's a SAK for that!
Reply #21 on: December 10, 2018, 09:57:15 PM
Show content

So that Chris Reeve sebenza is a fake? That one you have is nice. Who does make it then?

Yes it is. It feels awesome in hand. The titanium is pretty great. Under the hood however you get what you pay for. This is not a CRK by any means. The jimping on the back of the knife is poor, the framelock is starting to fail and the washers are poorly made and I had to polish the rough edges off myself. I bought it from a Chinese website to see how a Sebenza would handle as 'it's the only knife you'll ever need' and it's supposed to be a working knife.
And you know what, it is. The ergonomics are fantastic and the titanium has a very nice feel. The blade shape is very nice as well.
Initially I intended to buy a real one, but life happened and now it's too much. The Smabenza has won a place in my heart however and has turned me on to single bladed folders.
My SAK collection and more: http://pocketknives.home.blog

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: December 10, 2018, 10:43:34 PM
Show content

Yes it is. It feels awesome in hand. The titanium is pretty great. Under the hood however you get what you pay for. This is not a CRK by any means. The jimping on the back of the knife is poor, the framelock is starting to fail and the washers are poorly made and I had to polish the rough edges off myself. I bought it from a Chinese website to see how a Sebenza would handle as 'it's the only knife you'll ever need' and it's supposed to be a working knife.
And you know what, it is. The ergonomics are fantastic and the titanium has a very nice feel. The blade shape is very nice as well.
Initially I intended to buy a real one, but life happened and now it's too much. The Smabenza has won a place in my heart however and has turned me on to single bladed folders.
I think a large majority of the SAK owners are also carrying a single blade folders for serious business. The SAK’s are for the handyman side or support side of our daily lives.

us Offline DEMartin

Reply #23 on: December 10, 2018, 11:26:06 PM
Show content

I think a large majority of the SAK owners are also carrying a single blade folders for serious business. The SAK’s are for the handyman side or support side of our daily lives.
:iagree:
Water, water, every where,
 And all the boards did shrink;
 Water, water, every where,
 Nor any drop to drink.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: December 11, 2018, 03:39:43 PM
While the price for a Sebenza is steep I also think if this is the ONE and done knife the price is non issue  :dunno:.  When you total up all the knives we buy over time to try to find the ONE we spend quite a few dollars over time just trying.  If you've found the one knife that does it all and will be carried and carried and carried for years on end then.......... ? 

I'm costing this knife out over say, 5 years, 10 years.  Certainly many have spend that much in gear over 5 years.  I wish I found my ONE and done anything.  Truth is many would still buy and try other knives  :facepalm:.  I would like to hear the Captains thoughts.  I remember when he got his Sebenza. 

Any Sebenza owners want to chime in? 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: December 11, 2018, 04:20:36 PM
While the price for a Sebenza is steep I also think if this is the ONE and done knife the price is non issue  :dunno:.  When you total up all the knives we buy over time to try to find the ONE we spend quite a few dollars over time just trying.  If you've found the one knife that does it all and will be carried and carried and carried for years on end then.......... ? 

I'm costing this knife out over say, 5 years, 10 years.  Certainly many have spend that much in gear over 5 years.  I wish I found my ONE and done anything.  Truth is many would still buy and try other knives  :facepalm:.  I would like to hear the Captains thoughts.  I remember when he got his Sebenza. 

Any Sebenza owners want to chime in?
Randall Made Knives has a similar saying...I just can’t see waiting 5 years for a knife.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #26 on: December 12, 2018, 01:52:25 AM
Every day.

My CRKT M-16 is my folding paring knife, and I have no problem tossing it's all metal self in the dishwasher. My Rebar or Compact... no. Just no.

Need to sharpen it. Really don't want to cut myself with it- it's used to cut cheese pretty much daily. I don't think I want that culture in a cut. :P
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #27 on: December 12, 2018, 05:53:19 AM

I think a large majority of the SAK owners are also carrying a single blade folders for serious business....

Might be true for members of this forum, but I very much doubt it among the general population of SAK owners.

What is the "serious business" that you are doing that renders SAK steel instantly dull?

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

R

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: December 12, 2018, 06:16:02 AM
I certainly dont have the patience to wait 5 years.  Especially since there are so many choices to not have to wait. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: December 12, 2018, 06:20:57 AM

I think a large majority of the SAK owners are also carrying a single blade folders for serious business....

Might be true for members of this forum, but I very much doubt it among the general population of SAK owners

What is the "serious business" that you are doing that renders SAK steel instantly dull?

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

:think: Certainly here and on other forums we will tend to have a few choices including a SAK.  I think the general SAK owner wouldn't surprise me.  Really hard to judge what percent would have a secondary blade of some kind.  Might not be a dedicated one might be a MT or even a slippy.   Not quite what the original topic was about tho. 
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD