Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Edc normal oho knife with a sak?

Myoman · 38 · 2499

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Re: Edc normal oho knife with a sak?
Reply #30 on: December 12, 2018, 11:11:22 AM
I've yet to find a cutting task my SAK couldn't handle. I work in small electronics R&D lab in a semi urbanised forest (I am quite serious, there is forest all over the place in my country   :D) so I never had to skin a mammoth or something similar but still. Sure, there are things that could be done faster with a locking folder but the bigger footprint of such knife is not worth it if your primary duty in life is not cutting stuff.  :D

Whoa, then I'm movin to Slovenia  :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #31 on: December 12, 2018, 03:42:06 PM
I've had my eye on this nice boker one hand assist knife. On the edc boards people like to carry a normal knife along with a leatherman or some multitool. With your experience, does the swiss army knife make carrying a regular blade redundant? I'm fleshing out my edc systems and I'm wondering whether or not to get this boker. Thanks!

On further thought, I think for some a secondary dedicated knife to our wonderful SAKs is carried because we just like blades.  Yeah, not quite what was originally asked but I think this is often the case.  I stopped carrying a dedicated folder because I have my MT on me.  Seemed redundant enough to stop.  Later I carried one because I enjoyed carrying one.

What did you decide?
Esse Quam Videri

nl Offline Mactire404

• There's a SAK for that!
Reply #32 on: December 12, 2018, 04:04:13 PM
While the price for a Sebenza is steep I also think if this is the ONE and done knife the price is non issue  :dunno:.  When you total up all the knives we buy over time to try to find the ONE we spend quite a few dollars over time just trying.  If you've found the one knife that does it all and will be carried and carried and carried for years on end then.......... ? 

I'm costing this knife out over say, 5 years, 10 years.  Certainly many have spend that much in gear over 5 years.  I wish I found my ONE and done anything.  Truth is many would still buy and try other knives  :facepalm:.  I would like to hear the Captains thoughts.  I remember when he got his Sebenza. 

Any Sebenza owners want to chime in?

Sorry, didn't read your replay untill just a moment ago.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. While the price is steep, it's more than worth it in my opinion.
Seeing how much use I get out of a clone with limitations (in finish and design) I recon the real Sebenza will last me a lifetime.
Say I live for another 60 years, a Sebenza will be €6,60 per year. You can's even get a new SAK for that.
I've seen and handled a real (large) Sebenza about a year ago and the difference to the clone is stellar. Better finish, better cut, smoother handling.

The funny thing is I would not have bought the clone if I intended to keep using it. I saw the CRN factory tour, heard lavishing reviews and I didn't see it being that good. So I ordered a clone and expected it to end up in a drawer after a week or so. Boy was I wrong. I've EDC's other folders alongside my SAK and always come back to my Smabenza. I'm a bit torn, because I prefer not to buy rip-offs. But I'll probably wear this one down.
In the past I would have easily have spend that amount on gear, but I have other priorities now.

Show content
I've had my eye on this nice boker one hand assist knife. On the edc boards people like to carry a normal knife along with a leatherman or some multitool. With your experience, does the swiss army knife make carrying a regular blade redundant? I'm fleshing out my edc systems and I'm wondering whether or not to get this boker. Thanks!
On further thought, I think for some a secondary dedicated knife to our wonderful SAKs is carried because we just like blades.  Yeah, not quite what was originally asked but I think this is often the case.  I stopped carrying a dedicated folder because I have my MT on me.  Seemed redundant enough to stop.  Later I carried one because I enjoyed carrying one.
What did you decide?

I know you didn't ask me, but the main advantage of carrying a folder is that it opens one handed.
In addition to having a lock, which makes some jobs safer to do.
My SAK collection and more: http://pocketknives.home.blog

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Edc normal oho knife with a sak?
Reply #33 on: December 12, 2018, 04:30:40 PM
While the price for a Sebenza is steep I also think if this is the ONE and done knife the price is non issue  :dunno:.  When you total up all the knives we buy over time to try to find the ONE we spend quite a few dollars over time just trying.  If you've found the one knife that does it all and will be carried and carried and carried for years on end then.......... ? 

I'm costing this knife out over say, 5 years, 10 years.  Certainly many have spend that much in gear over 5 years.  I wish I found my ONE and done anything.  Truth is many would still buy and try other knives  :facepalm:.  I would like to hear the Captains thoughts.  I remember when he got his Sebenza. 

I wholeheartedly agree with you. While the price is steep, it's more than worth it in my opinion.
Seeing how much use I get out of a clone with limitations (in finish and design) I recon the real Sebenza will last me a lifetime.
Say I live for another 60 years, a Sebenza will be €6,60 per year. You can's even get a new SAK for that.
I've seen and handled a real (large) Sebenza about a year ago and the difference to the clone is stellar. Better finish, better cut, smoother handling.

The funny thing is I would not have bought the clone if I intended to keep using it. I saw the CRN factory tour, heard lavishing reviews and I didn't see it being that good. So I ordered a clone and expected it to end up in a drawer after a week or so. Boy was I wrong. I've EDC's other folders alongside my SAK and always come back to my Smabenza. I'm a bit torn, because I prefer not to buy rip-offs. But I'll probably wear this one down.
In the past I would have easily have spend that amount on gear, but I have other priorities now.

Show content
What did you decide?

I know you didn't ask me, but the main advantage of carrying a folder is that it opens one handed.

I got this one pretty cheap really because the guy who had it somehow was not happy with the way it performed and it was not up to his standard or expectations of fit & finish?

So I asked him whether he had sent it back to Reeves for the "Spa" treatment or worked on it at all himself to try to make it better and he had not?
I had read about the precision in the method that they design and build the knives and figured that if I couldn't make it right the mothership certainly could so I jumped on it expecting problems from the start.

Well I received the knife and there was sort of a grittiness to it and it was actually not as sweet as I knew they should be so I of course took it apart and cleaned all of it and burnished the washers and went to reassemble the knife and right here is where it becomes obvious exactly what it is about these knives that is different to me than all others I have worked with before it!
This is not something I expect anyone else to accept or even understand without trying for themselves but........these knives are manufactured with such great materials, machining and close tolerances that the knife really did almost reassemble itself!

I had sure read about this many times and stored it in my mind but until one is in your hands and you can feel the perfection of the build it is just not easy to appreciate.
It is not just Hype but the Reeves knives are somehow fundamentally better made than most others or at least any that I am familiar with from my own actual experience.

Every single part snaps back into place perfectly.
Contrast this with any of the many Spyderco,Benchmade or ZT I have taken apart and had to fiddle with to get back together and then adjusted correctly once together and it is just a different experience.

In use the knives feel the same way as long as they are clean of course,there is a feel of precision that I just have not experienced anywhere else on a production knife.

Anyway if you have not held or had a Reeves in hand I suggest that you find a way to change that and see for yourself,there is a lot about them that is just sublime to me.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 04:32:35 PM by ezdog »

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #34 on: December 12, 2018, 04:46:13 PM
 :iagree:

When I first got my Sebenza I was slightly underwhelmed. :-\  It was just OK, and felt no better to me than a Native 5 that I had.  But after cleaning it, polishing the washers a little and reassembling it with some care and a little grease I understood what makes them special.  It's beautifully made and incredibly precise.  It doesn't cut any better than a sharp SAK - and with the rules on locking knives here in the UK it rarely goes out of the house - so I don't often pair it with a SAK, but it is a lovely thing.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #35 on: December 12, 2018, 04:48:53 PM

Show content
What did you decide?

I got this one pretty cheap really because the guy who had it somehow was not happy with the way it performed and it was not up to his standard or expectations of fit & finish?

(Image removed from quote.)

So I asked him whether he had sent it back to Reeves for the "Spa" treatment or worked on it at all himself to try to make it better and he had not?
I had read about the precision in the method that they design and build the knives and figured that if I couldn't make it right the mothership certainly could so I jumped on it expecting problems from the start.

Well I received the knife and there was sort of a grittiness to it and it was actually not as sweet as I knew they should be so I of course took it apart and cleaned all of it and burnished the washers and went to reassemble the knife and right here is where it becomes obvious exactly what it is about these knives that is different to me than all others I have worked with before it!
This is not something I expect anyone else to accept or even understand without trying for themselves but........these knives are manufactured with such great materials, machining and close tolerances that the knife really did almost reassemble itself!

I had sure read about this many times and stored it in my mind but until one is in your hands and you can feel the perfection of the build it is just not easy to appreciate.
It is not just Hype but the Reeves knives are somehow fundamentally better made than most others or at least any that I am familiar with from my own actual experience.

Every single part snaps back into place perfectly.
Contrast this with any of the many Spyderco,Benchmade or ZT I have taken apart and had to fiddle with to get back together and then adjusted correctly once together and it is just a different experience.

In use the knives feel the same way as long as they are clean of course,there is a feel of precision that I just have not experienced anywhere else on a production knife.

Anyway if you have not held or had a Reeves in hand I suggest that you find a way to change that and see for yourself,there is a lot about them that is just sublime to me.
That’s a nice review on the Sebenza.  :like: :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #36 on: December 12, 2018, 04:58:22 PM
While I have not been enamored with the looks of CRK. 

@ ezdog  :dd: HOLY MOLY sir.  This just changed my mind.  I love the flag on this.  Congrats Sir. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #37 on: December 12, 2018, 04:58:48 PM
Those gosh darn "priorities"   :twak:.  It'll happen when those priorities lessen.  I know for me I struggle with the initial cash outlay.  The other thing I do is over rationalize expense.   I'm cheap frugal by nature so theres that too.  What I've always enjoyed from this forum as well as my everyday life experience is members/friends/family who buy things they have always wanted and use the HECK out of them.  The price vs enjoyment is not even close. 

I have a few such items. 

I always remember a story I was told about a lovely woman.  Her husband told me this story with great pride and sadness. His wife managed all the finances.  She was a careful with every penny they had.  He was the sole financial provider in those days.  They made ends meet through her careful managing of money.  Throughout her younger years she always bought the "lessor of" anything she wanted or needed.  Over time as their finances increased she continued to buy the "lessor of" anything she needed or wanted.  Finally she figured she would treat herself.  She had needed and wanted a newer sewing machine.  Hers was in serviceable condition but the newer machines did more.  She used hers quite a lot and made due with its limitations and quirks.  Her husband was handy so he was able to make "fixes" as needed.  She did her research and the machine she wanted costs nearly triple what her "lessor of" choice would normally be.  In those days it was quite an expense for her.  Yes she could get by with "lessor of".  It would last and last.  Or should could continue to make due with her current machine.   

Her decision was made.  She drove down to make her purchase.  On the drive home she was not feeling good about her purchase.  She almost turned her car around to take it back.  She rationalize her decision block by block.  As she pulled up to her home she was almost physically sick.  She gets out and goes straight into her home.  Her husband asks "So, where's this machine?" He's super excited as this is all she's been talking about.   

She said "Its in the car and its probably gonna go back."  Confused, her husband goes to the car as she puts her purse, keys, and other items down.  As he walks out the door she follow him.  He goes to the trunk and pops it open to see her "lessor of" sewing machines.  He's standing there confused.  She's looking at the machine as if she's never seen it before.  He asks, "Why did you get this one when you were going to buy the REALLY nice one?"  She has always bought the "lessor of" and this was no different.  For no other reason she picked the "lessor of" as she's always done. 

Without hesitation he gets into the car and drives away.  A short time later her returns with HER machine.  He takes the machine to her sewing room ( spare bedroom ) and sets it up.  He takes her old machine into the garage and places it into the box the new machine came in.  This whole time she is very anxious.  She unsure about that new machine even tho she knows practically everything about it.  He comes into the room where she's sitting and kisses her head.  He's says nothing and sits and reads the paper.

Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD