Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Key Ring mult tool pliers

gb Offline K9medic

Key Ring mult tool pliers
on: September 23, 2023, 09:09:58 PM
A few months a good I was looking for a replacement for my Leatherman Squirt (that has grown legs and wandered off), the closest I could find is a Gerber Vice.  Sadly yesterday I went to use the pliers on the vice and they simple fell apart (I was trying to tune a radio).  The pliers are not broken, they simple parted company around the pivot point.  Now I know I can get them replaced under warranty, but I'm not sure I really  trust them.

So the hunt is on for a replacement.  I need something as close to the Squirt in size as possible and must have pliers, preferable needle nose.  Everything else is optional. 

What options do I have ?

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Key Ring mult tool pliers
Reply #1 on: September 23, 2023, 09:33:41 PM
Gerber Dime, but I haven't used mine too much other than as HD tweezers so I couldn't tell you if they would be better than the Vice.

Sent fra min M2002J9G via Tapatalk

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 23, 2023, 10:06:40 PM
I've had the same issue with my Dime.  Don't recommend it.
looks like the only thing still available from Leatherman is the Style PS.  Don't own one myself, but looks like the same pliers as the Squirt.
- Steve

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 23, 2023, 10:42:32 PM
Not to take advantage of the situation. But I do have a Leatherman Squirt P4 I’m willing to part at a good price if you are within the USA. I’ll PM you my email address and give you more details.

It looks beat up but works perfectly. I have one brand new but never used but I’m asking a bit more for that one. Good luck regardless!

gb Offline K9medic

Reply #4 on: September 24, 2023, 10:05:19 AM
I appreciate the offer, but I am over in the UK. 

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #5 on: September 24, 2023, 07:22:59 PM
I've had the same issue with my Dime.  Don't recommend it.
looks like the only thing still available from Leatherman is the Style PS.  Don't own one myself, but looks like the same pliers as the Squirt.
The pliers on the Style are fine, but be prepared to have the scissors' spring break on you, even without use.

:facepalm:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 25, 2023, 06:20:51 PM
A few months a good I was looking for a replacement for my Leatherman Squirt (that has grown legs and wandered off), the closest I could find is a Gerber Vice.  Sadly yesterday I went to use the pliers on the vice and they simple fell apart (I was trying to tune a radio).  The pliers are not broken, they simple parted company around the pivot point.  Now I know I can get them replaced under warranty, but I'm not sure I really  trust them.

So the hunt is on for a replacement.  I need something as close to the Squirt in size as possible and must have pliers, preferable needle nose.  Everything else is optional. 

What options do I have ?

If you’re looking to stick very close to the Squirt size, options are somewhat limited:

LM Squirt P4 or PS4 - Both discontinued, so you would have to hunt for used or NOS.

LM Style PS - Same size range as Squirt.  Possibly also discontinued?

Gerber - Quality is…variable, at best.

SwissTech MicroTech 6-in-1 - I used to have one of these; think I gave it away.  Design is kind of chunky and unrefined compared to Squirts, and tool selection is limited.  Quality seemed decent though.  Unusual plier head shape also limited utility.

If you’re willing to consider branching out further from the Squirt size and form factor, there are additional options:

LM Skeletool - A good minimalist pocket-size (not keychain-size) PBMT.  Several different models available depending on steel and edge preferences; different bits also available.  Locking blade might run afoul of UK knife laws?

Vic 91 mm pliers - I feel like these are a brilliant tool that sometimes don’t get the recognition they deserve, or are relegated to the role of “super tweezers”.  While it is true that the jaws are so precisely machined and fitted that they can grip a single human hair, my experience is that they are also tough enough to handle virtually anything that will fit in their jaws.  Unfortunately, the smallest current production SAK to include the pliers is the somewhat chunky four-layer Deluxe Tinker.

Knipex Cobra XS - I don’t have one in this size, but have some of the larger offerings, and these are really high quality tools.  Definitely pocket-size rather than keychain-size at around 4” long.

Here are a few shots of a Squirt ES4, Skeletool, and Deluxe Tinker…

* IMG_1680.jpg (Filesize: 231.69 KB)

* IMG_1681.jpg (Filesize: 64.24 KB)

us Offline algernonramone

Reply #7 on: September 25, 2023, 06:55:50 PM
A SOG Powerpint might work, as well.

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #8 on: September 25, 2023, 07:15:12 PM

What options do I have ?

If you, like me, are UK based; not many  ::)

Send me a PM. I have Gerber Vise you can have (Gratis)

https://www.gerber-store.co.uk/gerber-vise-pocket-tool-black
They don't like it up 'em!

us Offline Sos24

Reply #9 on: September 29, 2023, 09:50:15 AM
LM Style PS - Same size range as Squirt.  Possibly also discontinued?
I hope they don’t discontinue The PS Style.  It is probably my favorite LeatherMan.  It is a nice plier compliment to a SAK as a just in case and very handy in areas where blades aren’t allowed.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: September 29, 2023, 02:25:00 PM
I hope they don’t discontinue The PS Style.  It is probably my favorite LeatherMan.  It is a nice plier compliment to a SAK as a just in case and very handy in areas where blades aren’t allowed.
I agree, but it does not look good.  LM still lists it, but it is unavailable.  Distributor sites I checked all show it as unavailable, out of stock, or discontinued by manufacturer.

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 12, 2023, 02:26:07 PM
I liked the old Gerber Clutch more than the newer Dime. They're not too hard to track down.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #12 on: October 12, 2023, 07:02:23 PM
I have hoarded PS4's and Gerber Dimes, so its not an issue for me.   :whistle:  I have another Dime arriving on Monday that was discounted during Amazon Days or whatever its called.

But were I looking for something in that genre, I would be fine with a new Dime or a used PS4 or older Squirt on eBay.  Dimes have stiff deployment and don't feel like precision machines, but they work.  The used Squirts don't retain their color very well, but they tend to last a long time and have a certain cool retro feel to them.  Scissor springs were an issue with the PS4, and would break for no reason.

And US$20 or $30, you aren't going to get something that is bulletproof.  You use it for a while, hopefully years, until it explodes, and then you find something new.  Its the circle of life.

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #13 on: November 03, 2023, 05:26:25 AM
*IF*
*I cannot stress the importance of this!!!

IF you can find one of the older US made versions on ebay...

:D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD