Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAKWC Project, Step-By-Step (SBS): Hand Held Sanding Tool

us Offline GrandpaPatch

SAKWC Guide: Hand Held Sanding Tool (HHST)

I actually got two woodworking tools for the effort of whittling one. The Whittler’s Kit come with ten pieces. I used one piece (1”x2”x3/4”) straight out of the bag as a ‘sanding block’ for my projects. It fit the pieces of sandpaper that I had cut perfectly. The Sanding Block was already pre-cut and ready to go right out of the bag. I have no intention of sanding or shaping it, there is no need.

My first project was to make another tool, that I could use later on other projects. I started with a very basic Hand Held Sanding Tool (HHST), that would allow me to sand inside of curved areas.

You get the idea. This is a very, very basic thing to whittle. I was getting close to final prep for the Boiled Linseed Oil. in this photo but still had some a bit to whittle and some sanding to do.

The pre-cut piece of 1”x2”X3/4” fit perfectly. You can see the paper plate of shavings that have been collected during this process. They will be saved and used to refresh some of my tinder and fire starting kits that I have for camping. The HHST looks like a dog bone right now and I only fear that it will get worse.

So now the HHST has an elongated straight, rounded barrel shape, while the other end is not elongated, but rounded overall. Having used a tablespoon and wooden spoon as guides, I am fairly confident that future projects will allow me to whittle a decent spoon.

Some final touch ups on the sanding and then off to apply the Boiled Linseed Oil. After that dries I will apply a matte clear finish to it with some Rust-Oleum Painter’s Touch 2x Ultra Cover - Matte Clear. Well SMURFTITY, SMURF, SMURF, the spray nozzle broke off while removing the cap on the can of clear finish. Here is the final product, minus the clear coat. That will have to waiting for later.

The SAK Whittling Club |
Is it better to carry a 'paddle' or to be "up a creek" without one?

us Offline GrandpaPatch

Re: SAKWC Project, Step-By-Step (SBS): Hand Held Sanding Tool
Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 03:44:13 AM
Since there have been no replies to this thread yet, I will say that my wife beat you guys to the punch. I had a sentence in the OP: "The HHST looks like a dog bone right now and I only fear that it will get worse.". I had it outside drying from the clear coat and brought it in a little while ago. I told my wife "See, it's done." and her reply was "You mean your SMURF.". I knew the comment was coming (no pun intended) and was prepared with an answer but did not expect if from her. My reply was "Well looking at it now, I must say I'm jealous and have a case of SMURF envy. This is where it really hurts, as she did not argue with my comment or say anything flattering to correct the SMURF envy comment.
The SAK Whittling Club |
Is it better to carry a 'paddle' or to be "up a creek" without one?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: SAKWC Project, Step-By-Step (SBS): Hand Held Sanding Tool
Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 04:28:05 AM
Comment about the tool or not ::) :D it is funny that it came from your wife first though :rofl: It will make a fine sanding tool :tu: :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%