Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What did you give away?

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
What did you give away?
on: November 10, 2018, 01:48:29 PM
We have a lot of the threads about what we just got, what we have coming. More, more, more. So. How about the other way around? Not what you sold, but what you gave away.

Last weekend, at a gaming convention with some friends. One of them has a truly ancient Wenger he's been carrying for years, but he didn't have it with him. Turns out he'd left it at his folks- it's only a thousand miles away. I had picked up a TSA seized Compact a month ago, but I hadn't taken it out of my car yet. Clearly, not in that big a rush to do anything with it. So, It's with him now.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: What did you give away?
Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 02:27:28 PM
Day before yesterday, a family friend gave me a Frost Mini Trapper for my birthday. I have a habit of not letting people I know who are knife collectors give me a knife without something in return, so I gave him a new Mora Robust I'd never carried  or used, and was still sealed in the plastic bag. He immediately put it on his belt, and plans to use it for game cleaning (and there's a chance, on that same trip, I'll be using a Basic for that job).

se Offline RF52

Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 02:53:28 PM
Great idea IronRaven :cheers:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 04:50:44 PM
Over the years I have given away so much.  Recently a friend was telling me about a guy at work who seems to always need something cut or adjusted.  He goes car camping with his kids (boy and girl) plus wife.  I gifted him a Huntsman and his son a 84mm Recruit.  I asked if his girls wanted knives but they didn't. 

Here's something I thought was off....  My friends brothers kids are in scouts.  The scout leader didn't have a knife of any kind.  Not sure why actually.  I gifted him a Huntsman as well. 

I got the Huntsmen at the flea market in pretty decent shape.  A good cleaning and sharpening of the blades and they were good to go. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 05:02:27 PM
Gave away a Leatherman Wingman, Benchmade Strap Cutter, a few Kershaw knives

And dozens of Maylites. Somehow they always make their way to me and I'd rather not just dump them off at Goodwill

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 06:51:12 PM
Gave away a Leatherman Wingman, Benchmade Strap Cutter, a few Kershaw knives

And dozens of Maylites. Somehow they always make their way to me and I'd rather not just dump them off at Goodwill

those two,
me too!

and a MP600, several SRM, three Cold Steel, three or more Opinels, a LM Kick, at least a dozen SAKs to several different people, many NITECORE TUBE lights to all family and friends...if I have had it for a while, and don't use it, I try to give it away to someone who will use it instead of selling it or letting it collect dust  :tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #6 on: November 10, 2018, 10:33:12 PM
I try to give it away to someone who will use it instead of selling it or letting it collect dust  :tu:

I've had mixed success with this. Some of the people I've given stuff to, have been witnessed at a later date using, or at least carrying it. Others have asked to borrow something from me, and have had a lame excuse as to why they've not got anything. I don't mind if they're carrying something else instead, but being caught with nothing when they need something, when I know that they own (or used to own) something appropriate for them to carry, earns them a few minutes of mockery. The same people who can't always account for what you've given them before, are then usually the same ones half scrounging for you to give them something else.  ::)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #7 on: November 10, 2018, 11:36:03 PM
As a congratulation gift for what the older kid just did we treated him and his best friend to a dinner out, does that count?
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #8 on: November 11, 2018, 12:47:22 AM
5 LM Rebar, 1 Vic Spirit X, 1 Vic Huntsman, 3 Fenix PD32's.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

au Offline Valkie

Reply #9 on: November 11, 2018, 10:38:12 PM
When I got my Wingman, I was so impressed I bought 4 more and gave one to each of my brothers in law.

I know 2 use them religiously and carry them everywhere.

One has never even opened his, but he is a bit of a jerk anyway

One lost his while working and using it, it apparently fell into a concrete pour and he couldnt get in deep enough to find it.
Imaging one day many years from now, some person cracking up the concrete and finding this antique wingman?

I also bought my son one later and gave it to him.
He owns a farm and its in his pocket every day
Clothes, keys, wingman.
His has been used and abused, but he loves it.

I like to see them used.
tools is what defines us as humans

us Offline papadan

• An old wrench tugger
Reply #10 on: November 12, 2018, 07:54:56 AM
In all my years as a service tech, I have been given lots of pocket knives, SAKs, Multi-tools, and flashlights with company logos on them. I always ended up giving them to someone, usually at my next service stop the same day. I would estimate maybe 200 items.  :multi:  Edit: Also a lot of coffee cups.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 07:56:06 AM by papadan »
just a tired old Multi-fool

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #11 on: November 12, 2018, 01:31:24 PM
As a congratulation gift for what the older kid just did we treated him and his best friend to a dinner out, does that count?
JR

I'd say it does.

:cheers: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #12 on: November 12, 2018, 01:43:20 PM
One Leatherman Charge and 5 Wave on the count. The latest was a Wave I gave a 21-year-old foreign student girl, whom I helped moved to an apartment for her last college year in the US. I actually considered gifting a Swiss Tool Spirit, but found the Wave being more practical and safer for her needs.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #13 on: November 12, 2018, 04:22:00 PM
JR

I'd say it does.

:cheers: :tu:
It wasn’t a sak or mt but it cost freaking more!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #14 on: November 12, 2018, 11:07:17 PM
I've been the recipient of generously gifted tools and have given many away. I like to pass on act of kindness and generosity when possible. :)

Tools I have given away:
2x Chinese Schrade ToughTools.
1x U.S.A Schrade Toughtool.
1x Gerber Clutch.
1x Gerber Crucial.
1x Gerber MP400.
1x Leatherman Wingman.
1x Sheffield MT (one with locking blades).
1x Ganzo F-301.

Some to in-person friends, some to MT.o friends and a couple to a now ex-girlfriend.

those two,
me too!

and a MP600, several SRM, three Cold Steel, three or more Opinels, a LM Kick, at least a dozen SAKs to several different people, many NITECORE TUBE lights to all family and friends...if I have had it for a while, and don't use it, I try to give it away to someone who will use it instead of selling it or letting it collect dust  :tu:
Don't forget the BlackTip. :pok: :)

Thanks again, TP.
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

hr Offline styx

Reply #15 on: November 12, 2018, 11:17:18 PM
2 of the larger things would be the SOG SP2 and Spyderco Sharpmaker. both to the same friend. he had a cheapo multitool that fell apart and the SOG wasn't getting much carry time with me so it certainly is a more suitable home. plus I know he'd never get himself a nicer MT even though he uses them on a pretty much daily basis
the Sharpmaker was a similar thing but also a bit selfish on my part. it forced my hand to put more effort into freehand sharpening which was rather easy to avoid then the option of using the Sharpmaker was there
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline cody6268

Reply #16 on: November 12, 2018, 11:29:31 PM
To add:

Imperial (1950s?) Cub Scout knife, to a good friend of mine who is a Scoutmaster. Gave it to him so he could show his scouts what a quality, proper scout knife was.  On a camping trip with some of my friends some months later, he pulls a Crown Royal bag out of his tote he keeps his gear in. Inside is the same knife. He treasures it quite a bit.  A year later, I've discovered that is nice pattern for EDC with a Leatherman Wave, I bought a 1980s Camillus this summer.

Victorinox Classic SD and Tinker Small (CAT edition) to a buddy of mine. Reason I gave him the NIB Caterpillar branded Tinker Small was that he ran equipment in surface (or "strip") coal mines, mainly Caterpillar for over 30 years. I told him to do the same as I had done with the Tinker Small (which he did, and by that I mean collect, not use it), but he put the Classic SD on his keys. In return, out of the blue, I got several belt buckles he got from Caterpillar and his employers throughout the cycle many miners faced here, bankruptcy then go to work for another mine.

Gerber EZ Out Skeleton. I bought two knives, in a bit worse shape than I thought, one was a small Camillus double-lockback, the other was a horrible EZ Out. I could never get an edge on that thing (suspect the blade was heated) and the clip was loose;. So, off to Gerber it went.  I was sent an NIB modern EZ Out Skeleton in return.   I never really carried it or used it, so I gave it a long-time friend of the family. Quite frankly, I prefer my Magnum LSTs.

One friend I never understood was one who gave me a number of nice knives, 3X Klein (2X linesman's jack, 1X hawkbill), Boker (USA 9215M "The Miner" and 495 "One Arm Barlow"). I tried again and again giving him some of my nicer knives in return, but he always refused saying, "I simply wanted to give these to someone who wanted to use them.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #17 on: November 13, 2018, 12:05:08 AM
My favorite SAK to give away is the Explorer. 

Every time one of my colleagues at work (the ones I liked :P) quit his/her job or retired, I gave them an Explorer, and I also gave one to my brother.  And I gave a Leatherman Crater C33T to my father. 

Plier based tools are only for my kids for the moment, Charge AL for both my boys (and one stacked away for my girl).  Also for my boys, Silvertech Swisschamps, Leatherman Style PS, Birth Year Soldiers (2005 and 2006), Special Edition Pioneer 2016 for my Girl (= her "Birthyear Soldier", the pink/purple 2016 Pioneer), my first SAK's for all of them (blue and red for my boys, pink for my Girl), Wenger Snow Ranger for my oldest son (he likes Wengers, he has a couple of them which he bought himself from his piggy bank money, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some ...

And lots and lots of classics ...  :ahhh

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #18 on: November 13, 2018, 02:01:07 AM
Lots of fauxtons (small, cheap keychain lights).  I give them away on the slightest pretext (someone was nice/polite at the grocery store, as fillers with other gifts or swap/sale items etc etc).  I have given away literally 100's of them, and it is surprising how much +ve feedback I get about them, sometimes years later.

I've also gifted a few MTs and components to MTo members (and been a recipient myself several times, MTo is full of great people).

I've given a couple of MTs to friends, but not that many as I only give them to people who I think will appreciate and use them (that restricts numbers considerably  ;)  ). 

I have given numerous cheapish flashlights away, often as novice encouragement awards at the dog agility trials I go to.  I don't get much feedback about these as most recipients don't know I was the donor (my choice, I do it to encourage novices to continue with the sport, not for my recognition).
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline WECSOG

Reply #19 on: November 13, 2018, 04:17:44 AM
I gave a Buck 110 to a good friend.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: November 13, 2018, 11:30:23 AM
I've been the recipient of generously gifted tools and have given many away. I like to pass on act of kindness and generosity when possible. :)

Tools I have given away:
1x Gerber Clutch.
1x Gerber Crucial.
1x Gerber MP400.
1x Leatherman Wingman.
1x Ganzo F-301.
1x Buck 110 to zoidberg

Some to in-person friends, some to MT.o friends and a couple to a now ex-girlfriend.

those two,
me too!

Don't forget the BlackTip. :pok: :)

Thanks again, TP.

Fixed.   :tu:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: November 13, 2018, 11:35:47 AM
Earlier this week I gave Tim Leatherman...     wait for it...     yup...     a leatherman.      :ahhh   :ahhh

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: November 13, 2018, 11:48:17 AM

Tools I have given away:
1x Gerber Clutch.
1x Gerber Crucial.
1x Gerber MP400.
1x Leatherman Wingman.
1x Ganzo F-301.
1x Buck 110 to zoidberg

Fixed.   :tu:
Thank you, zoidberg! :salute:

And I was poking ThePeacent for forgetting a tool. :facepalm:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #23 on: November 13, 2018, 01:41:28 PM

Thank you, zoidberg! :salute:

And I was poking ThePeacent for forgetting a tool. :facepalm:

well, poke poke  :D because you paid for shipping
I only consider it "given away" or "a gift" if the receiver got it 100% free of hassle and cost  :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: November 13, 2018, 01:49:15 PM
Fair enough, TP. :cheers:

Still appreciate that bad mamma-jamma! :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: November 13, 2018, 03:32:51 PM
Earlier this week I gave Tim Leatherman...     wait for it...     yup...     a leatherman.      :ahhh   :ahhh

:like:
Esse Quam Videri

us Online Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #26 on: November 13, 2018, 06:39:00 PM
A friend of mine recently lost his EDC Tinker, so when I saw him yesterday I gave him a Super Tinker. Not only a replacement, but a replacement with scissors!
 :climber:

us Offline WECSOG

Reply #27 on: November 13, 2018, 08:04:42 PM
:think: :rofl: :like:

us Offline WECSOG

Reply #28 on: November 13, 2018, 08:09:35 PM
A friend of mine recently lost his EDC Tinker, so when I saw him yesterday I gave him a Super Tinker. Not only a replacement, but a replacement with scissors!
 :climber:
:like:
Tinker series are probably my favorites. I have an early Super Tinker, and my current edc is a Deluxe Tinker.

gb Offline fred2892

Reply #29 on: November 18, 2018, 11:40:45 AM
A couple of months ago I purchased half a dozen used Spartans from the MTO store. When they arrived I stripped off the scales, cleaned, polished and oiled them .
Since then any good deed done for me has been met with a question from me. “What’s your favourite colour”. I then pop the appropriate colour scales onto a Spartan and gift it to them., I have one left, must visit the store again soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD