Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Today's haul

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Today's haul
on: November 10, 2018, 10:52:14 PM
Went to a flea market at a local church today and found these three.  1) a Victorinox Super Tinker with hook, 2) a Victorinox Classic Alox with pointy file, and 3) this Spyderco that I can't remember the name of, but it is VG-10 and made in Seki City, Japan, with a dull orange handle. Paid under $40.00 U.S.D. for all three of them.
todays haul11-10-18.JPG
* todays haul11-10-18.JPG (Filesize: 94.61 KB)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Today's haul
Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 10:57:51 PM
That is either a Matriarch or a Harpy (I think) depending on size.  Either way, that's a hell of a score there!

I'd give you $40 for that Spyderco alone if I could get it past Customs!   :facepalm:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 01:26:41 AM
Doing some research.  This appears to be an early 2000's sprint run of the Civilian. It has a 4 to 4 & 1/4 inch blade and 5 inch, brown, FRN handles, and the Boye Dent lock.  I still think the handles look dull orange more than brown but that might just be my eyes. I'd say I got a bargain.  It must have been my turn. http://www.smallarmsreview.com/display.article.cfm?idarticles=3091
P1120159.JPG
* P1120159.JPG (Filesize: 113.18 KB)
P1120160.JPG
* P1120160.JPG (Filesize: 121.92 KB)

us Offline GrandpaPatch

Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 01:29:46 AM
 :like:  and Bookmarked
The SAK Whittling Club |
Is it better to carry a 'paddle' or to be "up a creek" without one?

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 01:35:34 AM
Just noticed that Janich included a photo of the Civilian with the brown FRN and this doesn't look like that.  It looks more like G-10 and it really does look orange.  Still a mystery.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 01:46:15 AM
I'm not a wimp that's afraid of knives, but the Civilian and relatives scare the living daylights out of me everytime I see one. Like some kind of horror movie weapon!  I know it's main purpose is as a self-defense weapon, I feel the mere sight of this knife would turn most criminals away.  But I still want one for some reason, even though my needs are perfectly served by the Ladybug Hawkbill.

us Offline GrandpaPatch

Reply #6 on: November 11, 2018, 02:42:59 AM
I'm not a wimp that's afraid of knives, but the Civilian and relatives scare the living daylights out of me everytime I see one. Like some kind of horror movie weapon!  I know it's main purpose is as a self-defense weapon, I feel the mere sight of this knife would turn most criminals away.  But I still want one for some reason, even though my needs are perfectly served by the Ladybug Hawkbill.

Unfortunately, there is no cure for stupidity. A dedicated or motivated attacker, will attack. Just as trained and motivated defenders will defend from that same attack. I wish more criminals were required to read and take tests on various correct articles of successfully defended attacks / home invasions. Unfortunately, that doesn't make for 'sensational copy' and it is very hard to find, while almost every single case of a verified 'victim' who was also the attacker / home invader has been reported to the news about the 'evil gun owner'. It is also a lack of training on the gun owners part and they make mistakes. It is very hard to find examples of successful defense by a trained and situationally aware citizen. Most cops lack the proper training and constant state of 'awareness' that is required of them. It is not the officers fault. They are over worked, under trained because of budget restrictions and do their very best with the resources, backup and sleep time that they get.

I can not find the original 'article' that was circulated as it has probably been removed after being verified as FALSE. The original 'article' explained how the girl was a skeet shooter and highly placed in her age bracket, It also went on to explain how the weapons were stored in the house and how she had access because of her level of training. Although the article was FALSE, is still provided an example of proper training. Here is the article about the original article being false: ...a little girl from Montana killing home invaders...

MTO_FKnife_01 by Grandpa Patch, on Flickr

Criminals will attack regardless for what 'tool' you carry openly. Just look at the many different, multinational issues with police being attacked while they are carrying a 'tool' openly. A motivated attacker will attack regardless of what you carry. Same as a motivated thief / home invader will break into the 'wrong house' and end up visiting the morgue. I will ask this one question: Do you leave your kids at home alone?
The SAK Whittling Club |

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #7 on: November 11, 2018, 07:10:10 AM
I think I may have bought a fake.  I read some threads on the Spyderco Forums and they indicate that there are some very good Chinese fakes on the market and one thing the Spyderco forums members agree on is that the Civilian was never available in orange. If it is fake at least I got it cheap.

au Offline Valkie

Reply #8 on: November 11, 2018, 10:43:58 PM

Unfortunately, there is no cure for stupidity. A dedicated or motivated attacker, will attack. Just as trained and motivated defenders will defend from that same attack. I wish more criminals were required to read and take tests on various correct articles of successfully defended attacks / home invasions. Unfortunately, that doesn't make for 'sensational copy' and it is very hard to find, while almost every single case of a verified 'victim' who was also the attacker / home invader has been reported to the news about the 'evil gun owner'. It is also a lack of training on the gun owners part and they make mistakes. It is very hard to find examples of successful defense by a trained and situationally aware citizen. Most cops lack the proper training and constant state of 'awareness' that is required of them. It is not the officers fault. They are over worked, under trained because of budget restrictions and do their very best with the resources, backup and sleep time that they get.

I can not find the original 'article' that was circulated as it has probably been removed after being verified as FALSE. The original 'article' explained how the girl was a skeet shooter and highly placed in her age bracket, It also went on to explain how the weapons were stored in the house and how she had access because of her level of training. Although the article was FALSE, is still provided an example of proper training. Here is the article about the original article being false: ...a little girl from Montana killing home invaders...

MTO_FKnife_01 by Grandpa Patch, on Flickr

Criminals will attack regardless for what 'tool' you carry openly. Just look at the many different, multinational issues with police being attacked while they are carrying a 'tool' openly. A motivated attacker will attack regardless of what you carry. Same as a motivated thief / home invader will break into the 'wrong house' and end up visiting the morgue. I will ask this one question: Do you leave your kids at home alone?

Like the karambit folder you have there.

I trained with Katrambits when I did martial arts, its a very good weapon.
In the right hands it can either disable
permanently disable
or kill with equal ease.

And the way it would open up someone, virtually guarantees that they will have second thoughts about continuing any attack.
tools is what defines us as humans

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #9 on: November 12, 2018, 02:09:51 AM
Grandpa, I have to disagree with you, at least in part.  In my experience, if someone on the street is going to attack you, they are not going to square up on you and challenge you, giving you time to react and defend yourself.  Having worked the doors in many bars in numerous cities I can tell you that the usual method is to distract someone then cold cock them or stun them by slamming them into a wall.  While the person is incapacitated, Bad Guy X will grab things out of your pockets and be long gone before you know what is going on.

Or, as is more and more common, bad guys will just swarm the victim, each one pushing, punching or kicking the victim until they are incapacitated at which point the victim's belongings are grabbed at like goodies from a burst pinata.

And, if anyone ever does try to square up on you and mug you Hollywood style, check your six because someone is moving in- the first bad guy is very likely a distraction. 

The only way to train for defense in these situations isn't ninja-ing about with a blade or carrying a firearm, pepper spray or anything else.  It's all about situational awareness, recognizing the situations before it becomes an issue and doing what you can to get yourself out before it is too late.  Often times these types, once noticed, are no longer threats, because they are no longer protected by the element of surprise and they don't ant to get their hands dirty.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: November 12, 2018, 02:35:51 AM
Spyderco copy or not it looks like some good stuff to me :tu: :like:

us Offline GrandpaPatch

Reply #11 on: November 12, 2018, 02:43:37 AM
Grandpa, I have to disagree with you, at least in part.  In my experience, if someone on the street is going to attack you, they are not going to square up on you and challenge you, giving you time to react and defend yourself.  Having worked the doors in many bars in numerous cities I can tell you that the usual method is to distract someone then cold cock them or stun them by slamming them into a wall.  While the person is incapacitated, Bad Guy X will grab things out of your pockets and be long gone before you know what is going on.

Or, as is more and more common, bad guys will just swarm the victim, each one pushing, punching or kicking the victim until they are incapacitated at which point the victim's belongings are grabbed at like goodies from a burst pinata.

And, if anyone ever does try to square up on you and mug you Hollywood style, check your six because someone is moving in- the first bad guy is very likely a distraction. 

The only way to train for defense in these situations isn't ninja-ing about with a blade or carrying a firearm, pepper spray or anything else.  It's all about situational awareness, recognizing the situations before it becomes an issue and doing what you can to get yourself out before it is too late.  Often times these types, once noticed, are no longer threats, because they are no longer protected by the element of surprise and they don't ant to get their hands dirty.

Def

Maybe I was asleep during my post, but I don't believe I ever put anything in about 'squaring up' for a fight, or any other 'tactic'. I reference a 'dedicated or motivated attacker / home invader' and I did reference a 'dedicated defender', but I do not remember ever applying tactics about defending from an attack. I did make mention of 'situational awareness' and 'proper training', but again I don't believe I every said anything about tactics. The picture of the knife is not a recommendation, it was in response to the poster that I was responding to, who had posted a about a certain 'type' of knife and how the very sight of it scared him and hoped it would scare away any attackers. I mention the lack of training and awareness of police officers, as police as openly carrying a weapon and still attacked by a motivated attacker or hostile crowd. I don't believe I ever posted anything about tactics. I know I have posted about Christmas shopping thieves 'stacking out a target vehicle to steal from' but if I remember, that is in another post.
The SAK Whittling Club |

us Offline GrandpaPatch

Reply #12 on: November 12, 2018, 03:00:34 AM
OK, I just reread my post and I do not see anything about tactics or methods of defending from an attack. Situational awareness and proper training were mentioned, as well as police being attacked by hostile crowds. I did mention lack of training on the 'Gun Owners Part', but never mention any  specific scenario or tactic. Yes, I like guns. Yes, I have worked in the Marine Corps as a small arms weapons instructor. Yes, I have worked as a weapons instructor for the AZ. Dept of Corrections and Yes, I have been certified (expired and not renewed) to teach basic pistol and home defense by the National Rifle Association (NRA) in order to teach the AZ CCW course, but I have never mentioned tactics.

It would be completely unprofessional, completely inappropriate, and completely stupid on my part to think that I could 'train or educate' anyone about tactics in a 5 min time frame of typing, when most people in even a one-on-one environment need multiple days or a full week of class room, dry fire, live fire and situational tactics training.
The SAK Whittling Club |

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #13 on: November 12, 2018, 01:01:28 PM
Just noticed that Janich included a photo of the Civilian with the brown FRN and this doesn't look like that.  It looks more like G-10 and it really does look orange.  Still a mystery.

Sorry that I didn't see this thread before,  :( and sorry Alan,  :P
because it is a fake. There was never an orange Civilian or a Civilian with that pocket clip.   :salute:

The original (now discontinued) Matriarch came in brown FRN, PE and SE, in a limited run, that was never the case with the Civilian (the Civilian came in black G10, Carbon Fiber, Tuffram [inserts on scales], and Aluminum), the Matriarch 2 (black FRN) or the Lil'Matriarch (black FRN, blue FRN for the BentoBox limited edition)  :hatsoff:
Alan, you got duped!
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #14 on: November 13, 2018, 07:06:20 PM
Already aware of that Peacent, thanks, but you didn't read awl of the previous remarks.  Are you sure about that pocket clip?  Janich mentioned the C shaped, reversible pocket clip with 3 screws in his article so I thought it was correct for a 2000's era Civilian.  In any case, the fit and finish of this knife are very good so it may not be a Spyderco, but at least it is worth what I paid for it.  I actually like the orange handle. It is too bad that Spyderco never made the orange handle for this knife.

I don't feel bad at all because I didn't spend a lot of money on this knife, and I've had some fun using it in the garden in the last couple of days.  I don't believe the seller intentionally sold me a fake either.  He was just some old guy who had bought a TSA lot of knives and was selling them by the piece.  The real criminal here, obviously, is the person who had their fake Spyderco confiscated by the TSA.  Whoever you are, sir, you are a dastardly scoundrel for allowing the TSA to confiscate your fake Spyderco to sell to unsuspecting profiteers like that nice old man, and I hope you feel bad about it, and only allow real Spydercos to be confiscated in the future! 
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 07:09:03 PM by Alan K. »

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: November 14, 2018, 12:40:02 PM
  Are you sure about that pocket clip?  Janich mentioned the C shaped, reversible pocket clip with 3 screws in his article so I thought it was correct for a 2000's era Civilian. 
I don't feel bad at all because I didn't spend a lot of money on this knife, and I've had some fun using it in the garden in the last couple of days.  I don't believe the seller intentionally sold me a fake either. 

sorry that I wasn't clear in my writing, what I meant is that there is no black C clip and orange G10 combination, the only combos that are like that are orange G10 + Chinese series clip (orange Tenacious), orange FRN + black spoon clip (Spyderhawk sprint run and Oragnge Rescue), or orange G10/FRN + black hourglass clip (HAP 40 delica, and Orange Exclusive Editions of the Paramilitary 2 and Para 3 respectively)  :salute:

And of course, enjoy it!  :cheers:
These are most often made of 9Cr13MoV steel, that gets scary sharp and is easy to maintain.  :tu:

If it looks good and seems solid enough not to be a dangerous tool in use, enjoy it and beat it like a rented mule!  :D I've read good things about the quality of these clones and I have plenty of Chinese knives that are enjoyable, well built and good to use  :hatsoff:
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 12:42:05 PM by ThePeacent »
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #16 on: November 14, 2018, 04:17:39 PM
Thanks for the clarification.  It is a well built knife. The only thing wrong with it is it is not a Spyderco. It's great for trimming stems though.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: November 14, 2018, 08:31:53 PM
Thanks for the clarification.  It is a well built knife. The only thing wrong with it is it is not a Spyderco. It's great for trimming stems though.

well I'd say the only thing wrong is that someone was selling that at a church  :D

Went to a flea market at a local church today and found these three
My toys:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #18 on: November 14, 2018, 09:03:36 PM
Perhaps the Devil made him do it.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #19 on: November 15, 2018, 12:09:35 PM
Perhaps the Devil made him do it.

I did not!

:twak: :twak: :twak: :twak:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

au Offline Valkie

Reply #20 on: November 15, 2018, 09:26:23 PM
I know its not a tool, or a knife

It does not even come close to resembling either of those things.

But I hit the jackpot on an online auction this week.

I have wanted one of these things since I was a kid, my parents could not afford it because they were quite poor.

And I picked this little beauty up for $8.00, yep $8.00 plus $8.15 postage.

All cast, slightly used, but fully perfect, and its ALL MINE.

Seems a little strange that a 60 year old man would want one of these.
But my 45 year old son in law is now trolling looking for one, as is my son.
And when I showed the pictures to an engineer at work, he is also now trolling the web looking for one.

I've started a movement

thun 2-1.jpg
* thun 2-1.jpg (Filesize: 299.54 KB)
thun 2-2.jpg
* thun 2-2.jpg (Filesize: 288.63 KB)
thun 4.jpg
* thun 4.jpg (Filesize: 292.61 KB)

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #21 on: November 16, 2018, 12:59:38 AM
I think I had that when I was a kid.  Is that from the Thunderbirds series?

us Offline cody6268

Reply #22 on: November 16, 2018, 03:41:44 AM
Corgi Thunderbird?

au Offline Valkie

Reply #23 on: November 16, 2018, 07:54:27 AM
 Thunderbird are GO

yep from the thunderbird series

I always wanted no2 and no4

Now I is got one I is

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #24 on: November 16, 2018, 12:42:06 PM
Nice find V  :like: Love T2 and T4 - great condition too. Are you going to play with them? I know I would!
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: November 16, 2018, 01:14:25 PM

Def

Unless perhaps drunks and druggies who aren't particularly thinking or planning? They scare me the most to be honest. Trying to logically plan for the utterly illogical.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #26 on: November 17, 2018, 12:23:35 AM
I have wanted one of these things since I was a kid, my parents could not afford it because they were quite poor.

Really nice find Valkie - And what a great price and condition

I would say Thunderbird 2 was the ultimate multitool  ::)   :think:   - Just look at all the gadgets and tools and machines that it carried   :tu:
Remember the drill thing that dug into the ground ? That and T4 were my favourite T2 carries!

I remember this toy from when I was a kid - I never had it  :cry:  But some of my friends did - I was so envious

That little T4 inside the T2 was amazing

« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 12:26:48 AM by Huntsman »

au Offline Valkie

Reply #27 on: November 19, 2018, 10:59:55 AM
Nice find V  :like: Love T2 and T4 - great condition too. Are you going to play with them? I know I would!

I would but I'm afraid I would break it and then cry like a baby.

And a 60 year old man crying because his toy broke is a one way ticket to the loony farm.

Dementia ward here I come.....no thanks.

au Offline Valkie

Reply #28 on: November 19, 2018, 11:05:29 AM

Really nice find Valkie - And what a great price and condition

I would say Thunderbird 2 was the ultimate multitool  ::)   :think:   - Just look at all the gadgets and tools and machines that it carried   :tu:
Remember the drill thing that dug into the ground ? That and T4 were my favourite T2 carries!

I remember this toy from when I was a kid - I never had it  :cry:  But some of my friends did - I was so envious

That little T4 inside the T2 was amazing

Thanks.
It now resides in between my knives in my knife cupboard, until I build a new display case..

Ill have to see if I can get a set, it used to have several 4, I think, little machines

The digger, the submarine a fire truck, but I cant remember the last one.

anyhoo, wasted enough time talking non-tools.

Back to multitools.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44