Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Smaller SAK'

za Offline WaynejG

Smaller SAK'
on: November 11, 2018, 09:44:25 PM
Apologies if this has been covered before. Searching a forum with Tapatalk is a pain. I have a 91mm Mountaineer and a 111mm Forester. I am now looking for the ideal SAK that fits into that money pocket in a pair of jeans. Does not need to have a big selection of tools but should have at least a knife blade, flat screwdriver and a in line Phillips. Should also not be to bulky.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

ua Offline LeaF

gr Offline Sakpan74Gr

Re: Smaller SAK'
Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 09:59:41 PM
How about a 58mm?
Manager, Rambler, Minichamp and Minichamp Alox are sweet little SAKs with more performance than their size implies.

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Manager

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Rambler

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=MiniChamp

http://www.sakwiki.com/show_image.php?id=2058

Στάλθηκε από το HUAWEI VNS-L31 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 10:10:19 PM
Scientist
http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Scientist
This is the thinnest one, but it’s rare.

The Yeoman and the Passenger are the next thinnest, but also rare.

The Explorer is the thinnest in production.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 10:11:22 PM by Don Pablo »
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

au Offline Valkie

Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 11:04:30 PM
Depends on what you want it for

I find the Craftsman Ideal for my everyday carry, and it fits nicely into my fob pocket of my jeans.

When Im doing stuff around the house and plan to be abusing my knife, I carry a Recruit, its an old but durable tool, abused and used for many years.

But if im going to a club or somewhere where people get all antsi about sharp things I carry my mini or micro, (not sure what they are called)

Somewhat beaten up, but still very useful, and it wont worry me too much if its taken from me or picked up in a search, only a complete moron could consider it a weapon.

CRAFTSMAN.jpg
* CRAFTSMAN.jpg (Filesize: 172.5 KB)
krone 2.jpg
* krone 2.jpg (Filesize: 304.63 KB)
micro1.jpg
* micro1.jpg (Filesize: 341.71 KB)
tools is what defines us as humans

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 03:44:46 PM
Wayne, here's a thought for ya;

The executive. I've been a very long time fan of watch/coin pocket size knives, and I've tried many. After I went totally SAK, I moved from a small tinker to a recruit, to a bantam. I found that there's no perfect small SAK by itself that can do it, but with the addition of one small keychain item, there is.

I had always carried one of those old Sear's 4-way keychain screw drivers in my wallet, but a few year back it got replaced with a more modern and better designed Victorinox Quattro. This is the little keychain screw driver from the Swiss card that has two flat screw driver bits and two very well shaped Phillips driver bits. It's about the same size as a quarter, is so flat it takes up no room on a keychain or in a wallet, and eliminated one whole layer of a SAK. I used to carry a classic with the Quatro and these two items id mis tof what I really needed in a suburban life style.

Plus, I took a small flat file to the executive's spear shaped nail file tip and now it's a pretty decent Phillips driver, and the little flat screw driver on the orange peeler fits most adjustable gun sites and small flat screws. Plus the executive handles bottle opening well with either the new modified Phillips or the flat screw driver of the orange peeler. There's so many ways to open a bottle that I don't worry about having a dedicated bottle opener on me.

The 74mm executive fits almost unnoticed in the watch pocket of jeans. But the little longer blade can still handle cutting a sandwich in half or slicing a baguette and some brie. The executive is a great everyday cutting tool with two knife blades and a great scissors.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 03:49:20 PM by cbl51 »
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 04:15:54 PM
Sounds to me like you're describing the Rambler.
IMG_20180904_063326.jpg
* IMG_20180904_063326.jpg (Filesize: 167.07 KB)
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

us Offline Kraken

Reply #7 on: November 12, 2018, 04:46:42 PM
+1 for the Rambler. I carry one on my keys and pair it with my Explorer as my EDC. I find this set up is perfect for most of my needs while out and about.
Semper Fortis

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 07:26:02 PM
Another vote for the Rambler. A really good keyring choice. It has a tiny Phillips that will also turn larger Phillips screws. Fabulous knife. A great compliment to your arsenal, which is very similar in functionality to my work carry. (Handyman, Centurion, Rambler.) Don't forget the can opener also works very well as a Phillips.

In 91mm, the only currently available model I can think of is the three layer Spartan Lite. Basically a Passenger with a light instead of magnifier. I have one, but I never carry it. It's pretty thick and heavy for its functionality. If you can live with four layers, the Explorer - which adds scissors and hook and replaces the light with magnifier - would be my preference.

:cheers:
Rambler

za Offline WaynejG

Reply #9 on: November 12, 2018, 07:33:18 PM
Thanks for the replies. I am probably going to go with the Rambler. I also normally have a flipper folder clipped into my pocket that takes care of the bigger cutting duties. So the Rambler is fine as a emergency type multi tool.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD